Recap Thread - 2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great write up! Your passion and enthusiasm are contagious and are what makes THP such an awesome community.

I love this Thread !

#convictionfuelspassion

I'm going to wait until after coverage to post my recap but man that first post by JB hit me hard. I'm not a cryer but that put some water in my eyes. I love it, gets me fired up! I can't wait to hear some details of the 2014 MC!

That's the way I feel. The event was amazing and I was overcome with joy, and seeing the first post gets me excited for what is to come in the future.

Its really neat to see that the relationships are the cherished things here.

Yes its cool to be treated great by the sponsors. but talking golf, hanging out with new/old friends, and forging memories is the real take-away from all this. Would really love to be a part of that someday.

Good on ya guys,

How do you recap something this important? How do you recap a passion? How do you recap 2 years of your life? It’s impossible. It truly is. I will try my best to put some coherent thoughts in here while I cry about it. My posts will be broken up because each one will take me hours.

Last year was a surprise. The lead up to the actual event was loose and fun(most of the time) and then the event was the most epic week of golf I have ever had. The friendships that I had made were cemented into lifelong brothers. I get the phone call on the ride home and I’m told that I’m coming back with my boys!! How could I resist?

This has been a tough year for me. In real life and THP life it has been difficult. I won’t go into too much detail but I just got depressed. I felt like I lost parts of me and I had done something wrong. At one point I was quitting everything and I owe everything to Tyno and Jarret for talking me off the ledge. 2 people that will always be my brothers. I love them both. It is what it is and pretty much I am done with the depressing part of my recap lol.

The Captains this year were incredible. I wish I had been able to truly give my all but I just never ended up with any amount of time. I am deeply saddened that it went the way it did as I think you guys are amazing.

Dean a post can’t sum up what I think of you. It just can’t. You are a friend plain and simple. I don’t make friends easily and you are one of them. It’s been a long 2 years(yes I’m crying right now) and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it and the biggest reason has been you. Anyone who has met you will know what I mean and if they don’t they are jackwads. Jenn I will lump you in with this post although you deserve your own. You have put up with my dumba** for 2 long years and each year you have even been nicer and nicer to me. I will honestly cherish the round I played with you at Caledonia. It was one of my favorites. I do apologize that I felt the need to trip you but I could not lose to Deans wife…

Ryan it started at the last MC. I loved meeting you last year and have enjoyed your forum presence for the past few. We had our discussion and I truly meant what I said. You are a man of character which is a rare quality to find. If I were ever to do this all over again, I would only ask that I have you as my Captain. You were amazing at it and to be led by you would be an honor.

Jake. I can end it right there and everyone would know what I mean. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] best dude ever(sorry but I already said in my speech that Jarret is my favorite person ever). You bring such a spirit and energy to everything that you do. There was really no one else that should have won this. I enjoyed every single second that I have spent with you the past 2 years(although getting a possible punch to the throat was a little scary). I can sum it all up by saying I would even move to Dakota so that I could listen to rap every round I played. If I’m being honest, Morgan Cup Champion Captain Jake just sounds right. Congrats buddy.

Much more to come but I can’t type anymore as I’m crying like a 2 year old.

Ok I need to break up the emotional post with a funny post. I roomed with OneT, Chunk Rodgers and Jake. We had a match to determine who would get the queen beds in the suites. Well chunky and I prevailed. The two smaller guys had all the room in the world while oneT curled in the fetal position and Jake...lets just say he has some issues and that where the humor sets in....

As you can imagine we had a good bit of Summer Shandy each of the first few nights and went to bed late. Well the first night jake decided he'd get a head start and passed out. Sometime in the middle of the night I was awaken by the stomping and banging of a hammered sleep walking Jake.

If you can imagine him getting up and not know where the heck he is not once but twice and me yelling out for him to wake the eff up. I was worried, not sore what to expect from this lumbering giant man. We had a good laugh the next morning over breakfast.

The next night we hit it a little harder and this time Jake fell a sleep with his clothes and shoes on. Well I hear some serious rustling around and it's jake trying to open the sliding glass doors. To do this he has to some how open the vertical blinds. I figured he was looking for the bathroom (a foot from his bed on his side of the room)
He finally gave up and proceeded to crash into the end table between our beds and cutting his elbow. He didn't remember the next day. He did find the bathroom after a 5 min hoedown with the rest of the room. We laughed even harder the next morning over our coffees.

Never has 530-6am been so much fun. We watch chunky shuffle out in his mr Rodgers sweater and sweats. OneT wakes up with jokes, better than energy drinks and Jake is the butt of the jokes from the night before. There were jokes about me as well that I'll let them share but the villa was a great place to be in the early AM.

Wow. What hasn't already been said by other "spectators"? Thanks, to all of you for providing your thoughts, so far. It's obvious that the event had an impact on everyone.

Yes its cool to be treated great by the sponsors. but talking golf, hanging out with new/old friends, and forging memories is the real take-away from all this. Would really love to be a part of that someday.

Good on ya guys,

You get it dude, we were treated well by everyone. But the fraternity of competitors is something that is hard to grasp until you've been there. I never saw it coming.

What a great read! Thanks!

Good on ya guys,

The bonds this event creates....that's what its all about....I think I speak for most of the participants when I say....I would do it again without the equipment and the sponsors.

The bonds this event creates....that's what its all about....I think I speak for most of the participants when I say....I would do it again without the equipment and the sponsors.

In a heart beat, no questions asked. The sponsors were awesome, and getting to pick equipment was a freaking blast. But it was all about the competition and camaraderie.

Warning: This post is brought to you by Maker's Mark on the rocks. I'm going to try and get through this as painless as possible. This is like a mini recap/what THP means to me post. I played a round with Henri at Caledonia on Tuesday and played the worst round of my season. Towards the end I was having so much fun that I didn't even realize it. He's an awesome dude. I took him back to his villa and met TBT, Gordon, Kelly, Cookie and I think one other dude (I was still nervous at this point so I cant' exactly remember). I drove home Tuesday night and was really nervous about Friday rolling around.

I showed up to the True Blue range 35 minutes before Morgan asked me to be there and saw the tour van. I can get a little socially awkward at times and I sat in my car for 30 minutes trying to muster up the courage to walk out there. I was about to be surrounded by a large group of people that I had never met before. I was very new to the forum and had no idea what to expect. Once I got the courage, my life was changed forever.

I am not going to thank individual people in this post for a good reason. Every single one of you at the MC touched my life in some way. There was not a single person who did not thank me multiple times. I rolled up Friday and said "hey I'm Smithfaced" and you guys were all about it. You guys thanked me profusely for being there but it should have been the other way around. I've been going through hard times lately and the half of it hasn't even been revealed. ALL OF YOU that were at the MC gave me solace from the BS and I was so happy all weekend. For that, I owe all of you a major THANK YOU!

Walking away on Sunday hit me like a ton of bricks. A few of you said some things to me while I was saying my goodbyes that had me welling up and I'm sure you saw it. When I got to my car I broke down completely. Worse than JB. Everything that has been going on came full circle but after a few minutes I realized what I had just gained. My family was destroyed a couple weeks ago and you guys came in and took over and made me feel right at home. I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head that offered a dude who they had never met a place to stay.

I said I would keep this as painless as possible but I want you all to know that you mean the world to me. I am relying on this group to help me through to worst time in my life and you guys have all pulled through like I could never imagine. Freddie said something in his speech that really got to me, I don't remember verbatim but it was along the lines of "THP is an internet site to a lot of people, but not to this group." THP is family to me now and I can't thank you guys enough for taking me in the way you did this weekend. I am missing some things I'm sure but I will post them later.

Warning: This post is brought to you by Maker's Mark on the rocks. I'm going to try and get through this as painless as possible. This is like a mini recap/what THP means to me post. I played a round with Henri at Caledonia on Tuesday and played the worst round of my season. Towards the end I was having so much fun that I didn't even realize it. He's an awesome dude. I took him back to his villa and met TBT, Gordon, Kelly, Cookie and I think one other dude (I was still nervous at this point so I cant' exactly remember). I drove home Tuesday night and was really nervous about Friday rolling around.

I showed up to the True Blue range 35 minutes before Morgan asked me to be there and saw the tour van. I can get a little socially awkward at times and I sat in my car for 30 minutes trying to muster up the courage to walk out there. I was about to be surrounded by a large group of people that I had never met before. I was very new to the forum and had no idea what to expect. Once I got the courage, my life was changed forever.

I am not going to thank individual people in this post for a good reason. Every single one of you at the MC touched my life in some way. There was not a single person who did not thank me multiple times. I rolled up Friday and said "hey I'm Smithfaced" and you guys were all about it. You guys thanked me profusely for being there but it should have been the other way around. I've been going through hard times lately and the half of it hasn't even been revealed. ALL OF YOU that were at the MC gave me solace from the BS and I was so happy all weekend. For that, I owe all of you a major THANK YOU!

Walking away on Sunday hit me like a ton of bricks. A few of you said some things to me while I was saying my goodbyes that had me welling up and I'm sure you saw it. When I got to my car I broke down completely. Worse than JB. Everything that has been going on came full circle but after a few minutes I realized what I had just gained. My family was destroyed a couple weeks ago and you guys came in and took over and made me feel right at home. I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head that offered a dude who they had never met a place to stay.

I said I would keep this as painless as possible but I want you all to know that you mean the world to me. I am relying on this group to help me through to worst time in my life and you guys have all pulled through like I could never imagine. Freddie said something in his speech that really got to me, I don't remember verbatim but it was along the lines of "THP is an internet site to a lot of people, but not to this group." THP is family to me now and I can't thank you guys enough for taking me in the way you did this weekend. I am missing some things I'm sure but I will post them later.

Dude, you effing rock. Absolutely, positively, rock. I am glad you are here on the forum, and I am a better person having met you. You are a friend, and you have a family here on THP.

Dude, I'm not going to lie, I was blown away by so many things over the past week, but nothing more so than the bolded above. You were involved in everything all week and never seemed awkward at all. You were easy going an awesome to talk to. I appreciate what you did so much. Jumping into the middle of a HUGE event with a group of people in which you know no one must have been terribly difficult, but you were clutch. Your interviews were awesome, and you played a huge part in this event. A HUGE thanks goes out to you dude.

Things will get better dude. You are too good of a dude for the **** to last.

I think Wake nailed it Jordan. I knew you were a solid dude within the first 2 minutes of meeting you. It was awesome having you there and I'm so glad you're here. Cheers buddy!

Jordan you are a great dude. Plain and simple!!! Thanks for all you did to help make this event great!

And Freddie....why? Jeez man, can't a fella have a few problems in the bedroom without you airing his dirty laundry!?!?! :D Guess I should have won that bed match, I needed all the space I can get. I had no issues in that big bed Sunday night!

Jordan, we are brothers now my friend. I fully expect you to make this trip down to Dallas soon and we will have a blast. You are one deserving guy in this world and I know you are going to make it happen. I'm a better person knowing you. Keep your head up and keep doing what you do my friend.

JB and Morgan, you have done an amazing job with regard to everything THP. Thanks for all you have done and will do to promote the game of golf and for the establishment of such a great community.

LOL at Freddie's story. I bet that was terrifying! That's a whole lot of man lumbering around right there.

Jordan, you're a great dude, and you don't deserve what you've experienced the last few weeks. But I know that you know now that you have an insane support system here. It's been echoed by many, but don't hesitate to reach out to me or anyone else if you need something. Thanks again for all your work, I always rolling up to a green or tee with you on it!

Jordan just flat out gets it...plain and simple. If u ever need anything at all dude hit me up.

You guys got the tears flowing a bit/a lot. You all effing rock! Hands down the best forum known to man.

Just to elaborate so people don't think I'm really a moron, I didn't pull the wrong club in two different matches. In Rhino's match, my ball moved as I addressed it.

You sure it was your ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back