Recap Thread - 2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenn, that still looks awful. Better, but awfully painful.

For some reason, it feels like DHll cut an onion in here. It's like watching Nicklaus cross the Swilcan bridge all over again in St. Andrews.

I'll add my practice round summary.

First practice round was Wednesday afternoon with JT, DDXU, and Wake. I'd met JT at the Atlanta invitational before, and DDXU at the Ohio Invitational, so I knew they were great guys. Within 30 seconds of meeting Wake I knew he was a great guy - which was good since he was my roommate.

We had a great time on the course. It was awesome watching JT's ball flight. He's just so talented and acts like he doesn't even know it.

Dan was absolutely on fire, making great shot after great shot. Wake was solid, though he did struggle a bit from the tee. My game was unspectacular, except my putting. I got into a zone and dropped bomb after bomb.

Thursdays practice rounds started out on bad note as I woke up with a head-to-toe extremely itchy rash. Believe it or not, I apparently have a food allergy to Chex Mix. I had had an allergic reaction to some homemade chex mix a few years ago, but had had a particular flavor since with no problem. However, on the way to Myrtle, I had eaten some regular flavor Chex Mix and apparently it has whatever ingredient to which I'm allergic.

Realizing the rash wasn't going to go away by putting some Hydrocortisone on it, I decided I'd better treat it immediately. We sent Austin off and headed for a local urgent care clinic. The doctor there agreed with my diagnosis that it was a reoccurrence of a food allergy and gave me a steroid shot and a prescription for some Prednisone. His first instruction was "stay out of the sun." I laughed and told him that was not happening. He told me to load up on the sunscreen and sent me on my way.

I joined Wake, Thainer and MikeDean on hole 6 of Caledonia. It was a round full of laughs, good shots, and watching Thain bomb the ball. Not much stood out though, except for MikeDean's historic run for the bathroom, and my play on 18 as the rest of TeamAlbatross watch me come in, and I produced something akin to what MikeDean had earlier.

After the round and a hastily scarfed down lunch with the Albatross boys, I rushed back to True Blue to join Jake, Freddie and JT for the afternoon round. This round was epic. Not only did I get to watch JT's awesome shots again, but now I get to watch Freddie (aka Mr. Smooth) and Jake just annihilate the course. As I recall, I played some solid golf and continued dropping putts. However, what sticks most in my mind is Jake and Freddie's dance moves to the hip-hop Jake had going from the cart. I can't match them as golfers, and I darn sure can't match them as dancers. JT ended up the big winner of the day, taking about $8.50 from us all in our 50-cent-a-hole skins game.

All in all, a lot of fun golf with a lot of great guys.

I'm going to eventually capture a video to get some thoughts out there but random favorite part of the weekend #1 of 300 or more.

Thursday morning we played a practice round at Caledonia and it was me and my 7 guys from Team Paradise playing in 2 groups. We broke up the pairings every 6 holes to get a chance to play with everyone. We weren't really stressing prep work or format but just having a good time with the boys. We had some tunes playing in my cart and it was just a good time had by all. We get to hole 16 and there's nobody in front of us and the group behind us was well back so we said screw it, let's play these last holes together. The tunes got cranked and we had an 8 some of hip hoppin' fools playing together. We decide to throw a closest to the pin contest in on #17 and I'm sitting there watching this unfold....1 guy lining up his tee shot while 7 other dudes danced around like we're getting our groove on up in the club. Everyone of us tee'd off with an all out dance party going on around us and JT sticks his shot to about 7 feet for the win.

It was on that tee that I looked at Brad (I think it was him) and I said dude, we're going to win this thing. Not because we're all out there hitting amazing golf shots but because we're all out there just loose and having so much fun bonding with our team. Coming up hole 18 on my favorite course in the world with these 7 guys having a blast together was something I'll never forget.

I'm going to contribute to this thread at some point, but I had to highlight this memory. It was freaking awesome to have all 8 of us rolling up the fairways of Caledonia with that music going in the background. Golf balls were flying everywhere, guys were sharing laughs, and all of us were having so much fun. It's one of the most fun moments I've ever had on a golf course anywhere.

Part II - First practice round and Wednesday Night

Practice Round 1 - Lambro / Bullfrog

Zac & I got to ride together and had a great round playing with Jeremiah. Zac may have thrown out his back a few months ago but he’s worked hard to get ready for the event with a shortened and smooth swing. Froggy couldn’t miss a dang fairway. I didn’t have my best day on the course but I was able to scramble around and make a few things happen. Bullfrog was a blast to go around the course with and Zac may be the nicest guy I know. What an enjoyable round we all had.

Wednesday night we went by Josh and Morgans. Our tour reps had the remainder of our items there and it was great to get to swing by and get to see the people responsible for creating this wonderful event. Ran into some old friends there and got to meet some new folks for the first time. From there it was over to TBT & Rhino’s for a great cookout and better people. Ended back in 16D where I crashed on the first and last night. Hanging out with Chunky, One-T, Jake and Freddie along with others was a great way to end the night.

uhesu5us.jpg

I'll add my practice round summary.

First practice round was Wednesday afternoon with JT, DDXU, and Wake. I'd met JT at the Atlanta invitational before, and DDXU at the Ohio Invitational, so I knew they were great guys. Within 30 seconds of meeting Wake I knew he was a great guy - which was good since he was my roommate.

We had a great time on the course. It was awesome watching JT's ball flight. He's just so talented and acts like he doesn't even know it.

Dan was absolutely on fire, making great shot after great shot. Wake was solid, though he did struggle a bit from the tee. My game was unspectacular, except my putting. I got into a zone and dropped bomb after bomb.

Thursdays practice rounds started out on bad note as I woke up with a head-to-toe extremely itchy rash. Believe it or not, I apparently have a food allergy to Chex Mix. I had had an allergic reaction to some homemade chex mix a few years ago, but had had a particular flavor since with no problem. However, on the way to Myrtle, I had eaten some regular flavor Chex Mix and apparently it has whatever ingredient to which I'm allergic.

Realizing the rash wasn't going to go away by putting some Hydrocortisone on it, I decided I'd better treat it immediately. We sent Austin off and headed for a local urgent care clinic. The doctor there agreed with my diagnosis that it was a reoccurrence of a food allergy and gave me a steroid shot and a prescription for some Prednisone. His first instruction was "stay out of the sun." I laughed and told him that was not happening. He told me to load up on the sunscreen and sent me on my way.

I joined Wake, Thainer and MikeDean on hole 6 of Caledonia. It was a round full of laughs, good shots, and watching Thain bomb the ball. Not much stood out though, except for MikeDean's historic run for the bathroom, and my play on 18 as the rest of TeamAlbatross watch me come in, and I produced something akin to what MikeDean had earlier.

After the round and a hastily scarfed down lunch with the Albatross boys, I rushed back to True Blue to join Jake, Freddie and JT for the afternoon round. This round was epic. Not only did I get to watch JT's awesome shots again, but now I get to watch Freddie (aka Mr. Smooth) and Jake just annihilate the course. As I recall, I played some solid golf and continued dropping putts. However, what sticks most in my mind is Jake and Freddie's dance moves to the hip-hop Jake had going from the cart. I can't match them as golfers, and I darn sure can't match them as dancers. JT ended up the big winner of the day, taking about $8.50 from us all in our 50-cent-a-hole skins game.

All in all, a lot of fun golf with a lot of great guys.

I appreciate the kind words Wade. You were a joy to play with. To respond to the bolded point, It's not that I act like I don't know it or put on some kind of show to fool everyone. I really don't think that way. There's so much I can approve. It's really what I think. Everyone saying how good I am is just awesome for me. I really appreciate the kind words. It really does help my confidence.

Speaking of pictures, I cant wait for the "Morgan Cup Pictures" Thread to go up!

I appreciate the kind words Wade. You were a joy to play with. To respond to the bolded point, It's not that I act like I don't know it or put on some kind of show to fool everyone. I really don't think that way. There's so much I can approve. It's really what I think. Everyone saying how good I am is just awesome for me. I really appreciate the kind words. It really does help my confidence.

JT,

There was absolutely no ill-intent in my words. What I was saying is that you're so good, yet such a regular guy. There's not a conceited bone in your body. I enjoyed every moment of our rounds together and look forward to many more.

I've been working on catching up this thread all day. Today is my last day of vacation so I will have a chance to sit down at my computer and type more...I have some random thoughts to share but the meat of recap will have to be after the coverage airs. But this I want to say now....

I spoke with a few MC'ers over the weekend about something I hadn't shared publicly and those guys know who they are but I'm going to go ahead and make it public....

I have no intent to ever play in this event, ever. I will only volunteer for it. I had more fun than one person should have and enjoyed every single person I worked with the whole weekend. Thats something I can't do playing. Literally running from shot to shot, green to fairway or fairway to green to help assist 32 brothers live out dream is impossible to replace. So I will say here and now that I am officially signing up to volunteer for the 2014 Morgan Cup.

Josh and Morgan I truly can't thank you enough for allowing me to be a very small part your life and dream over the weekend. I'll never be able to repay you for the chance you gave me to man a camera, interview players, and everything else you did for me. I will endebted to you two forever.

I have no intent to ever play in this event, ever. I will only volunteer for it. I had more fun than one person should have and enjoyed every single person I worked with the whole weekend. Thats something I can't do playing. Literally running from shot to shot, green to fairway or fairway to green to help assist 32 brothers live out dream is impossible to replace. So I will say here and now that I am officially signing up to volunteer for the 2014 Morgan Cup.

Stud. That's all that can be said.

I am loving all of the recaps and seeing everyones thoughts about them. Beyond the amazing golf this was one of the more emotional events I have gone through in my life and it is just as Freddie put it on Sunday afternoon. To many this is "just a website", to a smaller group, this is a family, and to still a smaller group, this is even more than that. To the 40 or so participants and volunteers who went through this ride with me, I am a bit closer to all of you than I was before and for that I am thankful. You all worked your tails off this past weekend and it will show when the final product is revealed. I am working on getting a recap together as well but I keep tearing up every time I try. I will have something put together soon and have it posted but I wanted to start with two simple words, thank you. Thank you to all of the people, participants, volunteers, and supporters who made this weekend what it was for me, one of the best of my life!!

I am just loving this thread!

after calling it an early night last night because I am back on the road this morning for work, I sit in choking up again at some of the posts made last night. Since I have about 6+ hours of driving today I will collect more thoughts and get more posts and perhaps videos in here. Dhill those pictures are really special to me. That moment is just hard to describe, but it was without a doubt the most emotional moment I have ever had on the golf course. It was very unexpected and the moment just hit me like a freight train.

Smithfaced drinks SoCo on the rocks. I did a double take when I asked him what I could buy him. Badass.

Thanks to Diana (mrs yorkem), I will have her rendition of this damn commercial in my head for the next 40 wednesdays. I'd love to hate her for it, but shes too damn cool.

Smithfaced drinks SoCo on the rocks. I did a double take when I asked him what I could buy him. Badass.

That was Wild Turkey bro haha.

Thanks to Diana (mrs yorkem), I will have her rendition of this damn commercial in my head for the next 40 wednesdays. I'd love to hate her for it, but shes too damn cool.

This makes me happy!

I've been working on catching up this thread all day. Today is my last day of vacation so I will have a chance to sit down at my computer and type more...I have some random thoughts to share but the meat of recap will have to be after the coverage airs. But this I want to say now....

I spoke with a few MC'ers over the weekend about something I hadn't shared publicly and those guys know who they are but I'm going to go ahead and make it public....

Josh and Morgan I truly can't thank you enough for allowing me to be a very small part your life and dream over the weekend. I'll never be able to repay you for the chance you gave me to man a camera, interview players, and everything else you did for me. I will endebted to you two forever.

You are the man Keygo!!!!

Those who are breaking this up into sections have it right I think. For the sake of sanity and length, I too will break up my initial recap without mentioning the golf haha. First thoughts - ROOMIES!!!

Kyle (Icey) - Kyle is one of the most thoughtful people I have ever encountered in my life. Going back several months, I received a small gift along with the other Cobra/Puma staffers. This gesture or bond if you will was initiated by Kyle. Kyle bought and sent out Cobra/Puma wristbands to all 7 of us to get us into the MC spirit while the snow was still on the ground. He was motivated and caring- even more so in person. We had a blast driving around SC together and chatting. He was even gracious enough to let me use his laptop when I needed to be a geek and write a few papers for grad school. Thanks again bro! We will hang out again soon. I don't know when or where, but it will happen. Thanks again for everything!

Nate- Nate along with Kyle shared some very valuable parenting advice with me during the week. I know I'll take all the help I can get! Besides being a hell of a guy, Nate is also a hell of a golfer. I told this to Nate the day I left but I think it is worth mentioning here. Nate inspired me to work on my game even more. He has such a beautiful and repeatable swing that after playing with him, I decided I needed to take a lesson or two. He is where I want to be in more ways than one. I'm sure he is a wonderful father to go with his amazing golf ability as well (as evidenced by the welcome home sign that was waiting for him!!). Hopefully at some point, I can be more like Nate both on the course and off.

Lambro (Zac) - My dude is going through the same thing I am right now. I won't elaborate as I don't want to blow up his spot but Zac and I shared some really insightful and inspiring conversation that really meant a ton to me. I know that I am a talker in person, sometimes about topics that some people might not be really comfortable discussing with a guy they just met for the first time. Fortunately for me, Zac was more than willing to discuss whatever was on my weird little mind that day. Thanks again bro and I wish you the best of luck!! Here's hoping everyone is healthy and safe! You know I'll be texting you at some point.

Smithfaced- I have to apologize to Jordan to start. The poor dude was trying to sleep on our couch and I had an OCD moment and decided do laundry at 4 am on Saturday. If it wasn't tough enough to sleep on the couch, he then had to deal with this insomniac roomie who gets up at 4 to make sure he has a specific pair of boxers for the day. I was so glad that I got to meet you man and that I got to thank you in person for your coming down to volunteer and to hang out. You are a great dude and I hope that we get to tee it up or at least hang out again soon! Anything you ever need, we are all here for you!

I couldn't have asked for 4 better guys to share a villa with. It was perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back