Taylormade R9 Irons

No, not really. But off the tee was really a tough thing for me today. Reviewing new driver, fairway woods, and hybrids, can keep me guessing right now.

That sounds very fun and very frustrating.

No, not really. But off the tee was really a tough thing for me today. Reviewing new driver, fairway woods, and hybrids, can keep me guessing right now.

It does sound fun, but i didn't take into consideration that you are constantly hitting different stuff out there. More power to you brother, i have a hard enough time mastering what's in my bag (i'm still jealous though, and always will be)

It does sound fun, but i didn't take into consideration that you are constantly hitting different stuff out there. More power to you brother, i have a hard enough time mastering what's in my bag (i'm still jealous though, and always will be)

Thanks. That is why my index has gone from a 2.9 to a 6.2

lol, i just want to hit straight. Problem is, my drive fades, so a lot of times, i'm on the right side of the fairway with trees. Having a draw doesn't help. I've never played a draw, so it'll take some getting use to.

For those with R9s, with the stronger lofts, did you have to get an extra gap wedge? I played a 52 and 56, 52 being my 100 yard club while my pw was 115-120. Did any of you guys see an increase in the pw? Afraid i may have a 30 yard gap between the gw and the pw.

That is the very reason I decided not to get the PW from the next set of irons I order and just get a separate wedge that fits in with my other wedges.

Well, it's a tough job and somebody has to do it. It seems to me that the only other logical thing to do would be to hire on another "tester" so you can focus on getting that index back down (i'm sitting in my office with my hand raised, hoping you will notice, but you can't b/c you're in Fl and i'm not!)

I just figured that perhaps you thought this game was getting too easy for you, so you started seeing how you would fair as a southpaw. (JK)

Although your game has changed a bit due to the constant rotation of clubs/gear, I am grateful for your thorough testing and reviews. It is part of the reason why I ordered the R9s.

I just figured that perhaps you thought this game was getting too easy for you, so you started seeing how you would fair as a southpaw. (JK)

Although your game has changed a bit due to the constant rotation of clubs/gear, I am grateful for your thorough testing and reviews. It is part of the reason why I ordered the R9s.

Those are very kind words and thank you. The R9s are staying in my bag right now and that says quite a bit considering we are also testing 9 other iron sets right now. Not to say those others are bad at all, just the R9s are that good for my game.

I finally got my R9TP irons yesterday after nightmare shipping and delivery delays. I took them to the range yesterday and I played them today. here's what I think of them so far; I am usually a dead on player meaning I hit the ball straight and direct. with these irons I tend to hit alot more draws. I know it's the first time I've played them and I have to get use to the feel of a new club but alot more draws. the 3 and 4 irons fatness to them is crazy to me. I use to play the Titleist 822s and the long irons set flat and u can't see the back of the club when it's laying. (if that makes sense). when the R9TP 3 iron sets down flat I can see a clumb of metal sitting behind the clubface it feels like I got a mallet in my hand or something. again it's my first time playing them and my first upgrade in clubs in I think 8-10 years. I love the feel of them. I used the word magic to describe the feel of the club. overall A+ I hit some amazing 5 irons but I still have to get use to them.

Last edited:
I would assume it would be a night/day difference but any comparisons on the R9's to say....a G5??

I never played the G5, but the G10 I was close to getting. its not even close for me. Better feel BY FAR. Completely different performance. Totally different kind of clubs though. Harry may be a better person to answer this than me, as he played the I5s and I am sure had tried the g5s.

Harry,
What are your thoughts on the longer irons and if you are finding them easier to hit?

I finally got my R9TP irons yesterday after nightmare shipping and delivery delays. I took them to the range yesterday and I played them today. here's what I think of them so far; I am usually a dead on player meaning I hit the ball straight and direct. with these irons I tend to hit alot more draws. I know it's the first time I've played them and I have to get use to the feel of a new club but alot more draws. the 3 and 4 irons fatness to them is crazy to me. I use to play the Titleist 822s and the long irons set flat and u can't see the back of the club when it's laying. (if that makes sense). when the R9TP 3 iron sets down flat I can see a clumb of metal sitting behind the clubface it feels like I got a mallet in my hand or something. again it's my first time playing them and my first upgrade in clubs in I think 8-10 years. I love the feel of them. I used the word magic to describe the feel of the club. overall A+ I hit some amazing 5 irons but I still have to get use to them.

I had the same problem drawing and hooking even. It's probably due to the offset (i came from mp52s) and got use to turning my hands over to square the club. Just gotta get dialed in again or practice hitting way out to right field and having it draw back to the middle.

I had the same problem drawing and hooking even. It's probably due to the offset (i came from mp52s) and got use to turning my hands over to square the club. Just gotta get dialed in again or practice hitting way out to right field and having it draw back to the middle.

I just do not see a very large offset in these at all. I played them head to head yesterday with the MX-300s which also have virtually none and did not have the hooking problem.

I just do not see a very large offset in these at all. I played them head to head yesterday with the MX-300s which also have virtually none and did not have the hooking problem.

It might be cause when i was at the demo day, i was hitting 90g shafts versus 127g DGs or it could be regular flex of the kbs playing softer. I was convinced by you and harry that these tend to fly straight, so i went ahead and bought a set. Should be coming in mid to late next week.

It might be cause when i was at the demo day, i was hitting 90g shafts versus 127g DGs or it could be regular flex of the kbs playing softer. I was convinced by you and harry that these tend to fly straight, so i went ahead and bought a set. Should be coming in mid to late next week.

So this was happening at a demo day and you still bought them? Wow, that is faith and not something i would have done. They fly straight for me. I can also make them go right and left. Keep us updated on how they are working.

I've got 2 rounds in with my trial R9 7 iron and so far I am impressed, however, I am not sure if it is the iron or the shaft that is helping my game. There is a huge difference in shaft flex from the R9 stiff KBS vs. my Project X 6.5 shafts.

I've played two rounds and have had two range sessions under my new R9TP irons. I am extremely impressed with them and I actually love them. my 5-PW are pin seekers. they go exactly where I want them to go nice and high. it's really thrilling. I still have a slight visual disconnect with the 3 and 4 irons but that will be fixed with a driving range session dedicated to them. overall the clubs are amazing.

Stoped by the Austads tonight on the way back from Missouri JUST to check out the R9's and they were closed. So we go across the lot to Scheels (they keep a lot of golf equipment), but didn't have them yet! The guy said "yeah, I heard those were great, but we won't have them till after Christmas", WTH???

So I ask about the new Cleveland irons, "oh...do they have something new out"? LOL. I looked and they had about everything else!

I wasn't going to buy them anyway, but wanted to check them out. That just leaves Golf USA up here close.

Hopefully you get to him them soon Due.

Bump for Harry to answer

Oops. Somehow missed that the first time around.

Definitely easier. Not miracle clubs or course, but like the rest of the irons, even mishits want to go straight. And I like the feel of the Velocity Control Chamber irons (3-6). I do think I will stick with hybrids instead of 3 and 4 irons, but I'm having more success with the 5 and 6 irons than previously.

Same thoughts as I am having. I have put the 5 iron back in the bag and will continue to use my hybrids for 3-4, but overall I was not sure I would ever go back to a 5 iron until the R9s.

Yeah, if I wasn't so lazy today I'd run to Golf USA and try them, but thats 30 miles, lol.

Back