The Official 2013 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of hockey fans missing the Sunday afternoon game in the NFL?
And check again how CFB affects NFL. Exhaustion, financially, and more.
If you compared ratings for Jax college football to Buffalo hockey both in attendance in TV, it would blow your mind as a hockey fan.
I know you are a big hockey fan and I am not belittling the sport here (I use the term sport loosely :D), but comparing it to College Football is not even close in terms of market audience.

I think we are comparing apples and oranges here. 2 completely different things.

Check again. He was asked by a different team if he would change after being released by New England and he said no.

Ahh, I thought NE was wondering, he said no, they released him. Other teams asked if he'd be interested, he said no.

Either way, he couldn't be worse at run blocking then he is at throwing right?

Well, guess that solves it then! The Jags are pathetic in every which way right now! Now, will they go 0-16 this year. Probably.

I love that the "never been to Jacksonville ESPN media" automatically assumse that Tebow is the answer and that tens of thousands of Gator fans and Tebow devotees would magically buy tickets to watch him ride the pine or lose games. I've lived here for 34 years and know far too many of those people who claim they would buy seats and I have zero faith that they would actually pull the trigger. None. Lots of hot air, little action. There was a Bring Tebow to town rally at the stadium a couple of weeks ago: 23 people showed up.

Sure, the first game or two you'd sell some extra seats, maybe even a few thousand seats, but those would go away fast when the wins didn't come. The fans in Jax want wins, not a name on a jersey. When the team was winning they had zero trouble selling out a 72,000 seat stadium. Even with the tarps the stadium is bigger than Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. and we ranked around 20th in attendance last year (not last!? gasp!) The fans are so used to college football dynasties like UF and FSU winning 10 games a year and playing for championships that they can't fathom (yet) an NFL where there is actually parity and teams go up and down over time and have good years and bad years. When the Jags are winning their ratings destroy everything else. By miles. Even when they are bad people watch, just fewer of them spend money to go to the stadium to do it.

Tebow won in Denver because their defense kept games close (and scored points themselves). The Jags defense isn't stopping anybody and can't score even when they intercept the ball on the 10 yard line going in. The answer isn't available right now. The answer is currently playing college football.

This team has a horrid offensive line, young receivers and three rookies in the secondary. There's a lot to fix. One player isn't going to help right now. Ten players will help. That takes another draft and free agency. I'd much rather wait for Bridgewater or whoever for the long haul. A good passing QB can play for 15 years. A running QB will slow down, will get hurt, will get worse, especially if they can't turn into at least an average passer. I don't think Tebow will ever be an average passer. That's my opinion. I may be wrong, but evidently every other team in the NFL feels the same way or else he'd probably be on a roster...

Disagree with almost everything in the above post except one player not making a difference. Its not about making a difference. Gabbert is not the answer, despite you disagreeing with that for close to a year. Tebow isnt either (nor have I ever said he was). But he puts more butts in seats and more attention on the franchise (which helps down the road). Thinking he wont put fans in the seats is absurd. He has everywhere he has ever been. You assuming that your neighbors arent going to come is probably correct. Comb through Ocala and Gainesville and see who would come. And riding the pine? Why? The team stinks, their QBs stink, let him play and see who shows up.

You have made it clear your dislike for the guy, but to think he wont make a difference in attendance is ridiculous.

uggggh at all this Jax and Stain Gabbert talk

lets focus on this:

Browns>Steelers

Here is an even better answer to why Jax should sign Tebow....

WHY NOT?

They stink.
Nobody cares about them currently.
They drafted a QB early that so far has not panned out.
They have no O-Line to protect anybody.
Their star early pick WR has not produced.
Their star RB averged 1.8 YPC last week.
Their Defense looks like swiss cheese.

So why not take a chance on someone that if nothing else, produces the exact same results currently offered, is a good guy, costs very little money and could give the franchise a spark locally which they desperately need?

There is no answer of course

I have to disagree with most here about signing Tebow. Yes ticket sales may go up and generate a little more revenue with the team. At the same time, does JAX even need the small amount of money that they may see? With the profit sharing structure, I doubt it.

Personally I think it would create issues in the locker room. I can only imagine what NFL players really think of Tebow. Yes it's a circus and yes, someone will get bumped off the Sunday roster to the practice squad in order to make room for him. What kind of message does this send the players? They would pretty much be setting up the team and Tebow to be a joke and punch line.

I don't know, I just don't see any good coming of it.

Here is an even better answer to why Jax should sign Tebow....

WHY NOT?

They stink.
Nobody cares about them currently.
They drafted a QB early that so far has not panned out.
They have no O-Line to protect anybody.
Their star early pick WR has not produced.
Their star RB averged 1.8 YPC last week.
Their Defense looks like swiss cheese.

So why not take a chance on someone that if nothing else, produces the exact same results currently offered, is a good guy, costs very little money and could give the franchise a spark locally which they desperately need?

There is no answer of course

Because you don't want to invite the media circus to come down on your already crappy team. You would rather continue to let your players develop for next season. The same reasons EVERY OTHER TEAM has passed on Tebow. They are going to lose regardless, if you truly believe you have the right coaches, and can make sure team successful in the next two years, then why do it? You said it, their fan base is fine, build your team the right way and the attendance issues go away.

Disagree with almost everything in the above post except one player not making a difference. Its not about making a difference. Gabbert is not the answer, despite you disagreeing with that for close to a year. Tebow isnt either (nor have I ever said he was). But he puts more butts in seats and more attention on the franchise (which helps down the road). Thinking he wont put fans in the seats is absurd. He has everywhere he has ever been. You assuming that your neighbors arent going to come is probably correct. Comb through Ocala and Gainesville and see who would come. And riding the pine? Why? The team stinks, their QBs stink, let him play and see who shows up.

You have made it clear your dislike for the guy, but to think he wont make a difference in attendance is ridiculous.

I respect your opinion. We just disagree.

I don't dislike Tebow the person, I just think he's way over-hyped as an NFL player. One of the greatest college players of all time. Not cut out to be an NFL passing QB. No shame in that.

I've only advocated giving Gabbert a fair chance. His rookie season should never have happened. Last year he had a couple of good games before hurting the shoulder. In practice he throws well and makes passes that make your jaw drop. So far he can't translate it to the field on Sunday, but he has no help around him. The line is bad, the receivers are rarely open, drop passes far too often if they are, etc. If he can't show improvement this season you move on, but I saw no reason to move on after one year like many. You invested the pick, at least see what you've got. Right now he's the golfer who plays even par in a practice round and then throws up an 85 in the tournament. Maybe it's mental. But he's got to be at least a little shell shocked given how often he gets hit before he even hits the end of his drop. Any QB not named Brady, Manning, or Rodgers probably would be.

My thoughts about the tickets sales are that most of those fans spend their money on Gator tickets on saturdays and don't have any left that they want to spend on Sundays. I know dozens of people with Gator tickets but no Jaguar tickets for that very reason. They've been Gator fans for 50 years and Jaguar fans for 15 years. Loyalty trumps location.

Given Dave Caldwell's previous statements it's all pretty much a moot point but it gives us something to debate on a Tuesady in October. Come December and playoff races nobody will care. :)

Because you don't want to invite the media circus to come down on your already crappy team. You would rather continue to let your players develop for next season. The same reasons EVERY OTHER TEAM has passed on Tebow. They are going to lose regardless, if you truly believe you have the right coaches, and can make sure team successful in the next two years, then why do it? You said it, their fan base is fine, build your team the right way and the attendance issues go away.

Every other team does not have the local fan base for Tebow that Jax does.
And nobody believes that this team is a year or two away with its current roster from developing.
If that is the case, why not sit MJD and play someone younger?
The media that comes with Tebow in a local setting is a good thing. He is everything that a cancer is not. For a team that has had early draft failures, high draft picks with arrests and major issues, he is a lone local bright spot that at the very worst, has the same outcome. At the best, he continues to do what he did previously.

Every other team does not have the local fan base for Tebow that Jax does.
And nobody believes that this team is a year or two away with its current roster from developing.
If that is the case, why not sit MJD and play someone younger?
The media that comes with Tebow in a local setting is a good thing. He is everything that a cancer is not. For a team that has had early draft failures, high draft picks with arrests and major issues, he is a lone local bright spot that at the very worst, has the same outcome. At the best, he continues to do what he did previously.

I think Rex and the rest of the Jets would disagree that the media attention was a good thing. I can think of few things worse than having a popular backup QB.

The Bucs' situation isn't that much different, and they too don't want the stress. In fact it seems like they could use Tebow more, since the local market is quickly turning on Schiano now. They both drafted QB's last year who don't look like the answer.

I think Rex and the rest of the Jets would disagree that the media attention was a good thing. I can think of few things worse than having a popular backup QB.

Again, that is NY and not Jax and one team had potential and the other has none. You are missing the huge point in location. I know you hate this guy for some reason, but the only reason this works is the location. NY is not the same as Jax and UF is not located in New Jersey.

Again, that is NY and not Jax. You are missing the huge point in location. I know you hate this guy for some reason, but the only reason this works is the location. NY is not the same as Jax and UF is not located in New Jersey.

I don't hate him, I hate him as an NFL QB, I just think he sucks at it. I don't think he is quite the guy he portrays himself as, but he is no doubt a better person than quite a few other NFLers. I hate the media attention he gets.

uggggh at all this Jax and Stain Gabbert talk

lets focus on this:

Browns>Steelers

I knew the Browns offense would take off. They needed a threat like Gordon in the line up and they are 2-0 with him and Hoyer tossing the rock.

The Jags need a Q.B. they need someone to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers. Blackmon and Shorts could be a great tandem if someone could throw the ball. Trade for Freeman he's in the dog house in Tampa and would be an upgrade, not the answer but an upgrade.

The Jags need a Q.B. they need someone to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers. Blackmon and Shorts could be a great tandem if someone could throw the ball. Trade for Freeman he's in the dog house in Tampa and would be an upgrade, not the answer but an upgrade.

I'd rather watch Gabbert suck the rest of the season than give up anything to get Freeman for half a season.

I tend to agree with the people saying that Tebow would put butts in the seats for a few games.

I think the attendance comes with wins honestly. If Tebow is playing and they are still getting the doors beat off of them, I think the attendance will still stink in the long haul.

I tend to agree with the people saying that Tebow would put butts in the seats for a few games.

I think the attendance comes with wins honestly. If Tebow is playing and they are still getting the doors beat off of them, I think the attendance will still stink in the long haul.

People like watching train wrecks too...

Going through the games to pick my survivor pool team, and realizing how awesome the slate of games are. Tough to pick, also. I may end up with a road team which is not ideal.

Houston/SF, Indy/Sea, Bal/Mia, NO/Chi, GB/Det, KC/Ten all have potential to be really good games. Even Buf/Cle, SD/Oak, Phi/NYG, Car/Arz should be interesting. Sunday can't come soon enough.

People like watching train wrecks too...

0-16 is a very impressive feat. It's amazing just how bad you have to be to achieve it.

0-16 is a very impressive feat. It's amazing just how bad you have to be to achieve it.

This week is the game they could feasibly win too. A Ram's team that is not great at stopping the run, not much better at stopping the pass and has an offense that is only marginally better than Jax.

I thought the Browns would lose to them in week 15 I believe, however we look like a Super Bowl team now :)

I thought the Browns would lose to them in week 15 I believe, however we look like a Super Bowl team now :)
2-2. Trading away the best RB EVERRRRR seems to have not killed your team.

Interesting.

Interesting.

Maybe we can get to .500 by trading away Freeman. His latest accusations hit an all time low. The dude is an a$$hat.

Interesting.

I never said ever...I said 1 full season is not enough time to decide on a guy jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back