TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Just caught up on all the posts in this thread. You guys are all doing a great job with your reviews. I will eventually demo these, but, it appears from what I've read so far that I shouldn't expect performance from them that is far superior to the Rocketbladez or X-Hot irons I currently have. If I'm wrong on that, feel free to set me straight.

I'm jealous of that 3-iron...if it is anything like the 4 or 5 I may have to order it.

Just got in from an awesome round. Mixed feelings today. Hit a thinned PW about 150 yards, 30 feet high and it not only held the green, but had back spin. Some serious low face forgiveness! On the other hand, I really can't find anything bad I say except my swing stinks!!!! I look forward to this weekend in Cleveland to see how a ton of THPers like them!

Went to Dick's and demoed the 7 iron. The launch monitor on average said my total distance was around 180, which is 10-15 yards further than I normally hit my current 7 iron.

I have to call shenanigans on the launch monitor though. I took a couple swings with the rocketbladez 7 to compare and my total distances were 195 and 202. That is the range of my 4 iron. Swing speed with the 7 iron was in the mid 80's with a launch angle of about 24* and 4000 rpm backspin.

Don't know what to think but the club felt great and looked like it was a higher launch than I am used to. I need to find a way to get these out on the range so I can really see the ball flight.

I think I'm going to really like these irons. Hit the sw,aw,and pw out back today. They all go straight, not picking up the distance I thought I would over my old irons. But that go where you aim. I can deal with that. Also I took a couple of swings with the 3 iron. It goes up high, best I can tell about 195-200 yards. That is big for me. Supposed to go play Saturday and Sunday. I know I need to go to the range, but why go to the range when you can go play, lol.

I'm jealous of that 3-iron...if it is anything like the 4 or 5 I may have to order it.
Wongstongs, the darn thing was easy to hit for me today. Now, my swing can change like the weather, but today it was sweet.

THREE IRON!!! Yuss!!!! Can't wait to hear thoughts on that thing.
Canadan, can't believe no one has made fun of my old Wilson 8802 putter yet. New irons, new SLDR driver that you can't see in pic, and old ratty putter. I've bought several putters, but I keep going back to the ol 8802.

Last edited:
Canadian, can't believe no one has made fun of my old Wilson 8802 putter yet. New irons, new SLDR driver that you can't see in pic, and old ratty putter. I've bought several putters, but I keep going back to the ol 8802.

Stick with that ole trusty putter

The 8802 is legendary.

Canadan, can't believe no one has made fun of my old Wilson 8802 putter yet. New irons, new SLDR driver that you can't see in pic, and old ratty putter. I've bought several putters, but I keep going back to the ol 8802.

Man, that 8802 is a beauty!!! You rock what works, and I can dig that big time.

how are the 4&5 irons working for everyone? has anyone pulled hybos out of the bag in favor of the long irons?

has anyone pulled hybos out of the bag in favor of the long irons?

This is my plan. Once I get my set back, my main goal will be trying to take out the hybos and putting in the 4 & 5 irons, as I've wanted the same type club from one end of the set to the other for a while. I'll start posting about it soon.

I will probably leave at least one hybrid in the bag for now anyway. I have really struggled swinging the 4 iron in this set (I have trouble with a 3 &4 no matter the set). I wish that it wasn't the case as I have seen some absolute bombs hit with it. I am actually pretty frustrated with myself in regards to the 4 iron as I know it is a "me" issue and not a club issue. Planning on getting in a range session tomorrow to work on putting a better swing on the ball with the 4.

Currently testing the TaylorMade SpeedBlades for THP.

how are the 4&5 irons working for everyone? has anyone pulled hybos out of the bag in favor of the long irons?

I didn't have hybos in my bag prior, but I am finding that when I am making smooth, consistent swing with both clubs - I absolutely love both clubs.

Today on several holes, I hit both the irons off the tee and put myself into position to hit a wedge to the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last summer, I played a 20° hybrid as my 200 yard club. This summer, I upgraded my hybrid, and started hitting it 225ish yards--inadvertently leaving a gap at 200 yards. With the SpeedBlades, the 4 iron IS my 200 yard club. So I'll continue to carry the 3H as my long club from the rough, and the 4i as my 200 yard from the fairway club.

Got 18 today at Mill Creek and it was the first time picking up the clubs in a week and half due to rain and being out of town over the weekend.

Started off a little slow early on and that was probably a little steep. But got it fixed by the 5th hole and again I continue to be impressed by the irons.

With the lower temperatures (low 60s), I am seeing a slight yardage loss, but I think that is completely normal

I thought it was interesting that several times I hit iron shots that were not approach shots, I was getting spin in the fairway.

The shot of the day for me was an Awesome Wedge out of the rough from about 135 yards out. Came out a little hot and I expected it to run when it hit the green. When I got up to the green, the ball was about a foot from its mark. So I was able to generate a lot of spin out of rough to get the ball to sit on the green - not something I normally do.

Hoping to get 54 holes in this weekend, and will definitely be posting more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff everyone! I love this thread.

I dropped my 7W in favor of the 4i. It started out as just an experiment to see how it would work, but after playing the 4i off the tee and off the deck quite well, it found a solid spot in my bag. Taking it off the tee has been quite eye opening, as long as I remember to keep my swing with a smooth tempo and not try to overkill my swing, the results are there.

The fact that I have grown quite comfortable with the longer irons is quite telling for me. Not only am I comfortable hitting them when the situation calls for it, the results are just there for me. Being able to get a better launch with the longer irons and being able to attack a green from a longer distance is a shot that I have needed for quite some time.

I sitll have some room to improve with the long irons, as I often times try to "kill" them when I am pulling them from the bag. When I overswing, the result is a push to the right and is just not so great. When I keep myself smooth and focused, the results are impressive.

That's pretty awesome Ryan. I know you've struggled with the low balls, so for you to have a viable use for the 4 iron does say quite a bit.

I will probably leave at least one hybrid in the bag for now anyway. I have really struggled swinging the 4 iron in this set (I have trouble with a 3 &4 no matter the set). I wish that it wasn't the case as I have seen some absolute bombs hit with it. I am actually pretty frustrated with myself in regards to the 4 iron as I know it is a "me" issue and not a club issue. Planning on getting in a range session tomorrow to work on putting a better swing on the ball with the 4.

no shame in bagging a hybrid. I think the options it gives over a long iron would be worth sacrificing an iron spot just to have one.

That's pretty awesome Ryan. I know you've struggled with the low balls, so for you to have a viable use for the 4 iron does say quite a bit.
I dont remember the last time I had a 4i in the bag. The fact that I know I can pull it and hit it well says a lot about what TaylorMade has done with these irons in regards to improving launch.

Thanks guys seeing so many have success with the long irons is huge IMO. The ability to have confidence to pull the 4I out of the bag and use it from the tee or fairway is says something about a set.

Do you think you might be over swinging a little with it? what is your miss with it?

I ordered a set today. I went to Golf Galaxy to try some different lies and shaft lengths to make sure I got at least close to what I needed. I don't know if the launch monitor was on crack or what, but I was hitting the 7 iron over 200. Had a 207 and 211. The guy there told me: "Good luck ever getting ball to stop on the green with those low spin numbers." Not sure what to make of that, but I am looking forward to getting these out on the range/course.

I ordered a set today. I went to Golf Galaxy to try some different lies and shaft lengths to make sure I got at least close to what I needed. I don't know if the launch monitor was on crack or what, but I was hitting the 7 iron over 200. Had a 207 and 211. The guy there told me: "Good luck ever getting ball to stop on the green with those low spin numbers." Not sure what to make of that, but I am looking forward to getting these out on the range/course.

What was your launch and decent angles? what was your spin #'s?

He possibly does not know that these are designed to launch higher and come down with a steeper decent angle to still hold greens with lower back spin #'s

Tell him to look at the launch angle and bone up on that newfangled thing called gravity.

Back