Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges Preview

Kind of, but not really.

But you wouldnt know, you bailed on the round today

Wedding?

This thread makes me want to put my 49* Niblick back int he bag. Dammit.

Wedding?

This thread makes me want to put my 49* Niblick back int he bag. Dammit.
"Work"

And, my Niblick is calling my name as well. Throughout the round, I was smitten with the Sand Wedge Smart Sole, and then I started playing the C wedge the last 5 holes...and I par'd out.

"Work"

And, my Niblick is calling my name as well. Throughout the round, I was smitten with the Sand Wedge Smart Sole, and then I started playing the C wedge the last 5 holes...and I par'd out.
I get the sudden urge to buy both....

Kind of, but not really.

But you wouldnt know, you bailed on the round today

Similar in the aim and fire aspect. Just goes straight.

Also, not bailing when it's work. You know this.

Similar in the aim and fire aspect. Just goes straight.

Also, not bailing when it's work. You know this.
I would bail, but then again, I kind of hope they fire me at this point.

I would bail, but then again, I kind of hope they fire me at this point.

Office golf? Would love to know how this wedge reacts on seriously right lies

I will have a lot more coming on these over the next few days, but wanted to touch on this piece for a second. Many non-traditional wedges offer larger soles. Some offer perimeter weighting as well. To me what separates this wedge and the reason there was some instant positive feedback is because it combines both of those elements and yet still offers this little area. What this does is negate the side of not being able to open the wedge up to get the ball up quickly because the mass in this area does this quite well.

Over the next few days I am hoping to demonstrate this a bit better and show that there is some versatility as well for those that would want to have it. The beauty that War Eagle and I saw today was that it very much assisted in areas that needed it. The sole glides through the turf to help with contact which helps with creating spin. In the sand, the wedge was near magic. No opening, closing, adjusting or anything else, just take aim and swing.

We used this short sided, normal areas, full swings and even flop shots and everything we threw at it, worked well. I believe that it comes down to the sole design and the weighting that I spoke about earlier and is pictured below.

More coming soon.

va8emypu.jpg

I am going to have more on the design elements coming today.

I hate opening up the face..this will stop me from even trying and increase odds of success...#winner

This is kind of me as well. I'm really intrigued after hearing how well these performed.

Just caught up. Stupid intrigued right now. Had some fats & thins off tight lies yesterday (much of that it seems in TX) and I think from what I'm reading these would handle them well.

As War used in his example, that 110 shot would likely be 100 for me with that club and I have to hit either a perfect 54* or take something off a GW. Given the turf interaction this sole seems to give I think it would excel there.

This is kind of me as well. I'm really intrigued after hearing how well these performed.

Yeah really...im all about simplifying the game and these sound like a step in the right direction

Bare with my bad pictures here directly after our round yesterday and the clubs covered in dirt (they have since been cleaned). I want to talk about 3 things that stood out for me with this SW and what makes it incredibly unique. Again, not for everybody, but incredibly unique.

First. Touched on a bit ago, is the mass directly behind the sweet spot. Pictured below.

y6yqaqyh.jpg

Many of the perimeter weighted options we have seen in clubs that are used for touch seem to miss this part of the equation. Along with the other elements in the club that assist the golfer, hitting the sweet spot more I believe will take place for many. By having the mass directly behind it, as well as other areas, keeps a precision that some very much crave. We found that it also added to an incredible feel/sensation on impact that is normally not found in a unique shape such as this.

ezeruva6.jpg

Pictured above you will see the sole. It is very large. For many on THP, that immediately eliminates it from being tried. Personal preferences aside, the larger sole can assist in many areas around the golf course, most notably bunkers, which is definitely why this was designed. However there is a slight curve to it, which made us enjoy it in other areas around the course. We found it incredibly versatile on different lies whether that be softer ground where the club glided through exceptionally well, or on lies that one might be prone to digging. The other area where this worked very well is around the green in grass that was less than ideal. Whether that be an area with slight sand near a bunker or thicker rough where the ball is sitting up or sitting down. Both of which gave us no issues with the wedge.

te7a4emy.jpg

Lastly I want to discuss versatility, because we found it kind of surprising. Let me start off by saying that this is not going to be a wedge that you will open up or shut down. Its just not designed that way. However I did learn something in a weird way. When playing off grass, and a ball sitting on top of said grass, the wedge can be opened up more than at setup slightly because the leading edge is going below the ball in many instances. Again, not ideal, but back to what I learned with this one. Because of the weighting behind the ball, partnered with the style of the club, the ball flight soars immediately. So even short sided in bad spots, War Eagle and I had little issue getting the ball to pop straight up and land softly on the green. Flop shotesque for a better lack of description.

To coincide with all 3 of these things, both of us found something that eliminated errors. Is it going to replace everybody's wedges out there? Nope, and it shouldnt. However what it will do is help just about anybody that struggles out of bunkers, or around greens because the club helps to eliminate part of the problems that some golfers have.

Have you ever said "If I could only get out of my own way" in regards to short game? If so, this one is worth a trial or two. It forces you to get out of your own way and it leads to very good and clean contact which helps promote more spin and touch around the greens.

More coming soon.

Sounds like the design of the club would be an easy short game insert for people that don't want to manipulate a club and just set up and hit. Sounds like they've improved on the niblick!

I'm loving this. Thanks for that post and the illustrations JB. Getting out of my own way is something I say all the time.

I know this is getting a lot of Niblick comparisons, but to me it looks quite different. Very normal looking shape at address. A high loft wide sole was something I was looking into from Hopkins for a bouncy club that would be easy to use from sand or fluffy lies. This seems to take that even a bit further. Pretty cool stuff JB. Great explanation.

I def. want to give this one a go. Anything to help make bunker shots more consistent is worth trying out.

Great thoughts JB.

I like the idea of letting the loft do the work instead of club manipulation in hands.

From what you guys experienced: is there a glaring weakness? Any situation where you think it couldn't deliver a satisfactory result with the straight forward no manipulation mindset?

I know this is getting a lot of Niblick comparisons, but to me it looks quite different. Very normal looking shape at address. A high loft wide sole was something I was looking into from Hopkins for a bouncy club that would be easy to use from sand or fluffy lies. This seems to take that even a bit further. Pretty cool stuff JB. Great explanation.

I think the SW is def a standalone with no real comparison to me (no, not even the alien wedge people). The C though is the one that is niblick-sque with a WAY better look at address.

I want to hit them.

I can tell you it is nothing like the Niblick. Perhaps the chipper one could equate based on how its intended use is designed, but from the aspect of the SW, they are incredibly different.

Great thoughts JB.

I like the idea of letting the loft do the work instead of club manipulation in hands.

From what you guys experienced: is there a glaring weakness? Any situation where you think it couldn't deliver a satisfactory result with the straight forward no manipulation mindset?

Not sure yet. For us it handled everything we threw at it yesterday. I am going to try it off some thin hard lies soon and report on that as well.

Bunker play made easy = a happy CJ
I struggle out of the sand, sand kills my soul.

The Smart Sole Wedge may get a try!

Just call me...Barb
First official '15 Morgan cup hopeful.
(Gonna work on the game!)

Thanks for the thoughts JB. I have struggle with trying to hard around the greens. One of these wedges may be just what I'm looking for to help simplify my short game.

Either of you ever game a 588RS and, if so, how does that SW compare? Also, what kind of ball was in use?

Either of you ever game a 588RS and, if so, how does that SW compare? Also, what kind of ball was in use?

I used a B330 RX and War Eagle used a Bridgestone Lady Precept I believe.

I played the RS way back when (thinking about 2008) for a brief period of time. The comparison will go off memory, but here ya go. The sole is a bit wider and slightly different in terms of shape than the RS. The ball comes off a bit higher with the new wedge (I believe because of what I outlined above in terms of mass).

I started my round with an e6, and then grabbed a Lady Precept on the back 9. Both were able to hop and stop with out issue with these wedges.

Sounds like the design of the club would be an easy short game insert for people that don't want to manipulate a club and just set up and hit. Sounds like they've improved on the niblick!

bolded for ME!

Another thing about this sand wedge that JB and I talked about during the round yesterday was the elimination of "guess work" when using it from a bunker. Typically, on the courses I play down here, the sand varies a great deal. Soft and fluffy, wet and thick, to hard sand that isnt deep at all.

Due to those factors, I play multiple different types of bunker shots with my wedge, from opening the face wide open (almost flat and try to splash it out), to a typical forward press with a chip type swing.

With this wedge, regardless of situation, I feel it can be played with a chip or pitch type swing, allowing the mass and loft to get the ball up in the air.

Back