Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to thank Canadan for putting up a preview of these last week. Here are some in hand pictures of the two wedges. Testing will begin this weekend as we take them out to the course.

i-Jbs4sbG-L.jpg

i-kDWH2xR-L.jpg

i-7h9T2rH-L.jpg

i-VcZGjFX-L.jpg

i-PKKk6jV-L.jpg

i-6Sv5Pnn-L.jpg

I am pretty darn intrigued by these, especially in the higher lofted versions.

They do have a niblick style look to them.

The sand wedge in intriguing.

Pretty sure I want both of those. I've never tried a niblick, nor any of those chipper clubs, but I'm not sure that part of my game could get any worse, so why not?

Have to say I'm not a fan of this sort of design. Maybe I'm not properly playing out if the bunkers but I feel like with this sort of design in a bunker doesn't allow me to get under the ball and causes me to duff it

Never thought I'd take out the 588RS but that 1st wedge might do it. Basically the same but a 20 year newer club.

I'm intrigued. I bet these will perform.

I have a feeling these will find a way in to my bag sooner rather than later.

This is interesting. I have an old sand wedge with that massive bounce pad. I've made some of my best shots with it, but never could find consistency. Tight lies weren't an option. I wonder if these differ.

I've never had much success with wedges like these before. I had one with a huge sole, a golden bear, and that thing was a blading machine. I'm ready for a comeback.

What are you waiting for? Take off the plastic and tell us if they make bunkers play easier!

What's the loft of that chipper? I've used some of those before, and honestly can't say I was a fan. Will be interested to see how these play.

Does the S stand for shovel?

The sole...it's so big. $10 to the first guy to hit a genuinely fat shot with these guys.

For the record, when people find success with one of Cleveland's designs, they're simply addictive. A few weeks ago I played with a guy who had brand new wedges, irons...and Hi-Bore woods and driver. Asked him how he liked the Hi-Bores, and he says with a perfectly straight face, "I can't hit anything else. They're amazing."

Hope we see some solid performance out of these. Just guessing the Niblick will be very similar to the original and I'm sure the SW is solid out of the sand, but hope it show's promise to multitask.

I want to try these immediately

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The shape of these is so interesting. I think it would take me a while to get over the look of them but I bet they would perform fine. I would think trying to lay these open for a flop shot might be difficult.

Hideous. I've never liked clubs like this. If they work for some, that's great. Just not for me.

The shape of these is so interesting. I think it would take me a while to get over the look of them but I bet they would perform fine. I would think trying to lay these open for a flop shot might be difficult.

Close ur eyes and enjoy the results

such a big sole. Very intriguing for sure. Something I"m going to have to try for kicks. Not sure I could get over how they look at address, but I'd sure try if I hit them well.

Really curious how those will perform on tight lies and how versatile someone can be with them. Especially for the player who uses a lot of bounce around the green

Hideous. I've never liked clubs like this. If they work for some, that's great. Just not for me.

I agree with the young man here. I'm sure these clubs will help some people, but the looks turn me off too much.

They look very niblick esque but a great improvement!

I am sure they work amazingly well, but I admittedly laughed out loud when I opened the pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am intrigued too. I'll try anything to get out of the sand.

As much digging that I've been doing with the wedges...I'd like to give these a shot.

Back