The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you are saying is that teams that go undefeated should get a shot regardless of who they play, despite given every opportunity to succeed in the past and falling flat?

Arent you doing the same thing to Ohio St and Oregon that you are for the SEC teams? You are assuming they can compete, because of beating average teams and in the past when they have done so, they have failed.

And if that is the case, shouldnt the ACC get a shot? The Big 12? and others? Why does the Big 10 get a shot and the Pac 12, and not others?

Teams have to earn the right for dominance in my opinion and there is only one conference that has done that for 10 years. And sadly its not the conference I root for.

How can you hold past seasons performance against a team that has different players and coaches?
I think the University of Ohio State coach has quite a bit of $EC experience which should count for something.

Judge each college football season in it's own window.

They also have HUGE contracts with other conferences as well.

All much smaller than the SEC when judged relatively.

How can you hold past seasons performance against a team that has different players and coaches?
I think the University of Ohio State coach has quite a bit of $EC experience which should count for something.

Judge each college football season in it's own window.

Arent you doing the exact same thing by saying "SEC Experience"?
So based on those thoughts, Alabama, Oregon and Ohio St and FSU should all be ranked 1st in a tie, with no bearing on strength of schedule, because half way through the season, strength of schedule is meaningless.

If Alabama picks up a loss against LSU or Auburn but still win the SEC title game, does the Tide get a nod over an undefeated FSU, tOSU, or Oregon team?

You would root for tOSU just for me and you know it.

The SEC has come up big in big games that is true. i think you need more of sample size i mean if they had a 6 team playoff. you would get to see the top sec teams play the Oregon, tOSU and Florida st's every year. who wouldnt want to see that.

We have seen the top SEC team beat a top school for 8 of the past 9 years. I think sometime in the very near future, you will see an SEC team fall in the big game, until that happens I think giving them the benefit of the doubt is pretty reasonable.

All much smaller than the SEC when judged relatively.

I disagree with this. While more money between the two, one could say ESPN has more vested interest in the ACC since they basically own 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier rights rather than having to share it with another network.

Who are all of these out of conference awesome teams the ACC is beating?

Have I mentioned I love this thread? Because I do.

Who are all of these out of conference awesome teams the ACC is beating?

Its about scheduling schools that are perennial winners. At least 1-2 out of 4 is not asking for a lot.
UF this year for FSU
UGA and USCe this year for Clemson
Next year FSU has Notre Dame, UF and Ok ST.

Because you have to schedule games sometimes years in advance, picking at least 1-2 that people have even heard of is a huge difference, especially when your conference is weak (like the ACC was in the past). Then add in 2 top 10 teams on the schedule from your own conference and certainly both top 20 throughout the year and you have a solid schedule in comparison.

Mike, people are not making it up. Its the reason that a team like Ohio St that has not lost is looking up at the other teams. The out of conference schedule is awful and during a year where the conference outside of Ohio St is terrible. And yet when they went to pursue playing the SEC, they chose Vanderbilt (who backed out).

Arent you doing the exact same thing by saying "SEC Experience"?
So based on those thoughts, Alabama, Oregon and Ohio St and FSU should all be ranked 1st in a tie, with no bearing on strength of schedule, because half way through the season, strength of schedule is meaningless.

Not at all. Didn't you bring up Ohio States past performance against the SEC as a reason they shouldn't get a shot at the title? Just pointing out that Meyer has won a lot in the SEC.

Strength of schedule is a component of the rankings whether done by a human or computer, conscious or not.

If the season ended today I'd want to see Bama and FSU. I think they are the two best teams, but there is a lot of football left to be played. If Bama and Ohio State were to end season as only two undefeated teams they certainly should play each other though. I don't think a performance from several seasons ago should be considered as a reason to keep Ohio State out of the championship game.

We have seen the top SEC team beat a top school for 8 of the past 9 years. I think sometime in the very near future, you will see an SEC team fall in the big game, until that happens I think giving them the benefit of the doubt is pretty reasonable.

I agree with my cross state rival here. No way a one-loss Bama is in the NC game over an undefeated, FSU or Oregon. I think it is closer with tOSU, but still think the undefeated team gets in there.

The beauty is that this is the last year we have to worry about who is #2 and who is #3. Next year we can worry about #4 and #5, and while then we will be dissecting one or two loss teams, that discussion shouldn't be involving undefeated teams.

Not at all. Didn't you bring up Ohio States past performance against the SEC as a reason they shouldn't get a shot at the title? Just pointing out that Meyer has won a lot in the SEC.

Strength of schedule is a component of the rankings whether done by a human or computer, conscious or not.

If the season ended today I'd want to see Bama and FSU. I think they are the two best teams, but there is a lot of football left to be played. If Bama and Ohio State were to end season as only two undefeated teams they certainly should play each other though. I don't think a performance from several seasons ago should be considered as a reason to keep Ohio State out of the championship game.

That is not why I think Ohio St does not deserve a shot. Not even close. That was about why the SEC has the benefit of the doubt, not anything about who should get a chance. They do not deserve a shot this year against other schools because of strength of schedule, and frankly both the computer and the voters agree with me.

Yawn....I'd assume the ACC teams should have games with the SEC elite for non conference games like everyone else.

And I know about the picking a good team in advance is crucial I mean I think Ohio State was playing USA and then Miami recently just stinks that 5 years ago or however long it was these games were setup they could envision Cal sacking so bad. But I fear it wouldn't have mattered in here at least anyhow.

And that's an impressive list for FSU next year that's for sure.

Whoops USA was supposed to be USC

Fwiw, the BCS is supposed to take the benefit if the doubt out of the equation.

Fwiw, the BCS is supposed to take the benefit if the doubt out of the equation.

Not really, the pollsters have to compare teams, that is their job

I give up. Having a rational conversation with Ohio sports fans is like discussing cast vs forged with someone like blugold. Enjoy the thread yakmaster.

Ohio St is the best
Trent Richardson is a Hall of Famer
Craig Ehlo best shooter ever
SEC cheats and Ohio St is church
Blades are the most forgiving clubs ever
The Indians got cheated out of every world series of the last 25 years.
Drew Carey is better than Bob Barker
Snow is better than sunshine for golf
And the greatest college football player is Maurice Clarett

Yawn....I'd assume the ACC teams should have games with the SEC elite for non conference games like everyone else.

And I know about the picking a good team in advance is crucial I mean I think Ohio State was playing USA and then Miami recently just stinks that 5 years ago or however long it was these games were setup they could envision Cal sacking so bad. But I fear it wouldn't have mattered in here at least anyhow.

And that's an impressive list for FSU next year that's for sure.

They do, Granted Florida and Georgia are terrible this year, but those are top level SEC teams that the ACC teams scheduled.

That is not why I think Ohio St does not deserve a shot. Not even close. That was about why the SEC has the benefit of the doubt, not anything about who should get a chance. They do not deserve a shot this year against other schools because of strength of schedule, and frankly both the computer and the voters agree with me.

And I agree completely with you right now as to who should play, but several weeks of football left and anything can happen. Lots of discussion back and forth here so I could have easily confused different arguments. I feel despite strength of schedule an undefeated Ohio State would edge out a 1 loss Oregon or 1 loss FSU if each were to drop one along the way in the final BCS poll.

The beauty is that this is the last year we have to worry about who is #2 and who is #3. Next year we can worry about #4 and #5, and while then we will be dissecting one or two loss teams, that discussion shouldn't be involving undefeated teams.

Yes. Please hurry.

I give up. Having a rational conversation with Ohio sports fans is like discussing cast vs forged with someone like blugold. Enjoy the thread yakmaster.

Ohio St is the best

Ouch. That kind of stings the soul on a Sunday morning.

Ohio St is the best

Ehlo was amazing.

You said teams need to schedule at least a game or 2 of solid competition in non conference.
I gave you 2 years of USC and 2 years of Miami. I took blame for Cal sucking so bad which is the risk you take planning these games so far out.
I've been civil and yet am persecuted for my opinions.
I've never said they are better than an undefeated Bama or most undefeated teams remaining. I think they are better than a few of them but certainly not the best.
I've never demanded they be in the national championship and said it would be a farse if they werent.

This thread causes me grief as I come in here and try to be a fan for my team like everyone else does and even when they aren't playing or their games have come and gone I get drug into the same pointless conversations around and around. And yet I'm in the wrong for voicing my opinion as does everyone else in this thread.

I'll support my team and opinions quietly from now on. I knew better than to come in here today and simply don't need it.

I just wish my team was good enough to be in the NC discussion. :banghead:. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Watching FSU/Miami last night, Musburger said something about Wisconsin maybe making a BCS game. That's my nightmare.

FWIW tOSU tried scheduling a home and home with Bama in 2016 I believe and Bama just recently backed out.

SEC teams get too much credit thats why they get in the position to Play for the NC a playoff system will help that. tell my why is LSU ranked #13 they have 2 losses against unranked teams ole miss and Georgia who has 3 losses one being against vandy. if that was in another conference they would be ranked in #20's or not even ranked.

Too much credit?

Did we get too much credit in 2004 when auburn was undefeated and was left sitting at home behind USC and Oklahoma?

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back