Drivers used to have better names ...

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Years ago it seemed all the drivers had great names. Even back a couple of decades, you saw the Killer Whale, the Tommy Gun, the Judge, Big Bertha and so many more.

Now more companies are going with alpha numeric names as they release more clubs. Is it because they ran out of names? Want to move towards evolving a brand rather than recreating it?

What was your favorite driver name?

The Lynx BOOM BOOM is easily my favorite.

I like some of the clone club names. Usually you can find some interesting ones there. There is one called the Tour Tubby.

While it's not a blast from the past I like the Diablo. Translation: Devil...that's some scary stuff right there!

I remember the purchase of my first "Great Big Bertha" like it was yesterday. Wow we've came a long way since 1994.

I had a friend who bought this bright yellow driver from Walmart about a decade ago called the mello yello or something like that.. It was one of the more ridiculous things I've seen.

I prefer brand over product name. I like saying "I play a TaylorMade" more than "I play an uber duper donkey long... by TaylorMade"

I like the both, but I find some of the names can be a little cheesy. For example, I understand why Cally chose Octane, but I don't like it. Another cheesy name is the W/S Smoooth. I do like the the Burner, Speedline and Launcher names though.

What in the heck fun is that? Oh look at me, I'm going to nail this 452xr3x91o44. Hell no, give me EL DIABLO and I'll smash you!

I feel like all companies are guilty of the same kind of thing though.. Where Callaway has the Diablo, they also have the "Ft-i".... Where TaylorMade has the Burner, they also have the R9.

uber duper donkey long

I think you may have just renamed MY driver. Almost spit my coffee on my screen. I wish I had the sense of humor that some here have!

How could I have forgotten about the Titleist Howitzer

My favorite was the "Smasher" from Spalding. And I thought the Smooth was a good name for an awesome looking driver...

I still have a "Large Marge" driver, lol. It was a big Bertha knock off and I actually hit it much better than the Bertha.

LMAO at Large Marge!

I still have a "Large Marge" driver, lol. It was a big Bertha knock off and I actually hit it much better than the Bertha.

I saw a Big Bertha knockoff called the Big Bubba. That works for us hicks in the Midwest!

My first driver was a used Orizaba Power Pod. It was awesome. I have had a driver called the Cube and a Green Monster. I love the names. I call my Burner, SHIRLEY.

I used to swing a driver head by Bang called.... Mellow Yellow.
I had it shafted with a bright yellow Harrison Striper shaft and I called it my "Lightning bolt in a bag".

I hit the heck out of that thing for a couple of years till the face cracked.

Nextage is a cool name, I can't explain why it just sounds cool.

Haven't been around golf long enough to have ever heard of some of these names, but my starter set included a square-headed driver called 'The Cube'

51LZz-eurDL._AA280_.jpg

I like saying "I play a TaylorMade" more than "I play an uber duper donkey long... by TaylorMade"

I've got a Superfast TP, but I actually prefer the name Uber Duper Donkey Long. I have a friend who does embroidering. I need to see if he can put that on the head cover.

I've got a Superfast TP, but I actually prefer the name Uber Duper Donkey Long. I have a friend who does embroidering. I need to see if he can put that on the head cover.

Hilarious. My buddy used to have a driver that was totally unmarked aside from having "THE DONKEY D*CK" stamped across the bottom of the club. Too funny! I'm sure it must've been some custom jobbie, but he wasn't sure where it came from originally.

I don't think I'd have the courage to go into my local golf shop and ask 'em if they've got any Donkey D*ck drivers...

Drivers used to have better names ...

... Cally Big Bertha was great in the day (unless you are a girl - my wife has stated emphatically that she will NEVER carry a club with that name).

... Titleist Howitzer was a classic. We should petition Titleist to bring it back & drop the lackluster 910, 914, etc. How AWESOME would it be to see Adam Scott & Duffner hitting a HOWITZER !!

... Nike Sasquatch was even funny.

Today, Rocketballz is at least an attempt to be funny & TM gets points for that ... but a far cry from the great driver names of old ... any other great driver names come to mind ??

Last edited:
No question.
Killer Whale
Tommy Gun
The Judge

The list is endless. Now we get 917379oeuD733. All that marketing and R&D, give us some names.

Cleveland Altitude

Freddie Couples BOOM BOOM driver - Lynx Parallax

Back