Are you a good ball striker?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How do you become a good ball striker? Do you think it's a top ingredient to lower scores? What do you do to practice becoming better at it?

After reading an article several years ago about how Vijay used to hit hundreds of balls a week out of a fairway bunker with a 5 iron to learn how to make better contact on the club face I set out on a mission to try different things. I did the Vijay routine for a year or so and went through a 5 iron because th grooves closed lol, but it made a world of difference In how I connect with the ball. How do you do it, how did you become a better ball striker?

I've always been a good ball striker but can't really think of anything I do to make it that way? I guess getting a ton of lessons when I was 10 and just starting out in the game instilled the fundamentals.

Nope. Im definitely not.
I use athleticism to make the ball go in the general direction I am looking for and then have a short game that bails me out.

I'm with JB. Not a good ball striker but can typically advance the ball forward and somewhat straight - combined with a decent ability to play good wedge shots helps me maintain a respectable score most of the time.

what exactly is a "good ball striker"

No, as a matter of fact its what's really holding my game back. Putting the ball in the fairway and putting have become pretty solid foundations for me, I really think I could turn a corner if I could make just a little improvement with my irons.

I would say no. Towards the middle of this year something just clicked with my driver. It became the best part of my game and most consistent. Being somewhat long and straight off the tee goes a long way. I would love to become a better ball striker with my irons.

Oh LAWD no. I can make contact consistently, but that can't be "ball striking". I don't know that I could even define ball striking.

Once a year (not this year), for a period of maybe 10 days, it all clicks. I can feel something's different. I'm catching the ball first, leaving a proper divot, compressing it. My scores plummet. And then it goes away.
I've never seen that sync up with any particular practice or lack of it. Maybe the body just decides not to betray me for a week or so.

Is it important? I'd think so, I can see the results on the rare occasions I hit the ball well. I just can't do it.

I have never been a very good ball striker. Granted I am better than I used to be but nowhere near where I want to be. Heck I have no clue why I am where I am with my golf game but somehow I get it done.

what exactly is a "good ball striker"

I often wonder this question too. I have a theory of what it is. I always thought (and I may be very wrong) but thought it is about ones ability to hit fairly consistently clean shots but not necessarily mean being a real good golfer. Of course in my theory one might then ask but how can one who makes good consistent strikes not then be a real good player? But my answer in my head would be because of shot shaping, precise placements, short game, and overall management of a round. A great golfer in my opinion would also be a great ball striker but a great ball striker doesn't have to be a great golfer. Of course this all my theory when the term "he is a good ball striker" pops up. But again, I might be very wrong and my definition might even be laughable but I would like to know what is really meant by it f I am wrong.

When I think of a good ball striker I think of someone that finds the sweet spot more often than most, someone that can work it within reason but mainly make great contact regularly. Something repeatable time and time again with good results.

I think a lot of you are underestimating your abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I am not.

I believe that guided practice can help. But it's mostly blessed skill.

No it is not necessary for low scores. But it sure as hell helps.

When I think of a good ball striker I think of someone that finds the sweet spot more often than most, someone that can work it within reason but mainly make great contact regularly. Something repeatable time and time again with good results.

with that being used as the definition, I can firmly say i'm the exact opposite of that

Compared to you, no I am not. And I truly believe it has to do with you tempo. When we played I honestly thought you were going to pepper me with that Tempo.

I think that is the key to good ball striking. Of course this is taking into account one has a repeatable swing. When my tempo is solid I am very solid ball striker. But lately its been up and down, so the currrent time I am not a solid ball striker.

Not at all, some days I strike the ball pretty good, but I have a bad habit to hit the ball fat.

I do not believe I am a good ball striker. I miss quite often all over the face of the club. I desire to find more consistency with my swing, but, when its as bad as mine is, you work with what you got.

My instructor used to get me to put impact tape on my irons and practice on the range until I got the marks to the middle of the club face instead of at the very bottom. I'm a much better ball striker some days than others.

I am a terrible ball-striker. I mean, I don't think you can even call what I do poor ball striking. I somehow make the ball move forward and then try and get up and down...that is my way of playing golf.

Nope.... not consistent enough to be called a good ball striker. But I can fake it and scramble my way into the hole to basically stay in the mid to high 80s.

I often wonder this question too. I have a theory of what it is. I always thought (and I may be very wrong) but thought it is about ones ability to hit fairly consistently clean shots but not necessarily mean being a real good golfer. Of course in my theory one might then ask but how can one who makes good consistent strikes not then be a real good player? But my answer in my head would be because of shot shaping, precise placements, short game, and overall management of a round. A great golfer in my opinion would also be a great ball striker but a great ball striker doesn't have to be a great golfer. Of course this all my theory when the term "he is a good ball striker" pops up. But again, I might be very wrong and my definition might even be laughable but I would like to know what is really meant by it f I am wrong.

i hear the announcers say on TV say he is such a good ball striker & i think well this is the PGA tour don't you have to be? Then again there are days someone will ask me how did you play & i think, I hit it well, but could not score

Nope. Im definitely not.
I use athleticism to make the ball go in the general direction I am looking for and then have a short game that bails me out.

I used to think I was a good ball striker because I made contact with the ball and not the ground most of the time. It wasn't until a good friend of mine watched me on the range and noticed I actually hit a little behind the ball on every shot and I was athletic enough to muscle the club through. I have talked to the guy I take lessons from and have been working on better contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also think that the hand/eye coordination is a key. Not THE key, but A key. Some have great hand/eye which can travel to other sports also.

I am NOT a good ball striker. One reason is that I'm blind in one eye. Thus, my depth perception is not very good. I'll top balls, lay sod over, you name it. Not a good ball striker. Surprisingly, I've a very good green side bunker player! I think that one is from lots of practice from bunkers!

How do you become a good ball striker? Do you think it's a top ingredient to lower scores? What do you do to practice becoming better at it?

After reading an article several years ago about how Vijay used to hit hundreds of balls a week out of a fairway bunker with a 5 iron to learn how to make better contact on the club face I set out on a mission to try different things. I did the Vijay routine for a year or so and went through a 5 iron because th grooves closed lol, but it made a world of difference In how I connect with the ball. How do you do it, how did you become a better ball striker?

After watching your ball striking you are a great striker. I think I will try this as you have motivated me to get better after playing with you.

Back