Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
There has been talk lately about golf companies changing their marketing strategies to attract a different segment of customers.
What percentage of golfers by age do you think spend the most money purchasing golf related equipment? Why do you think this is?

I'd say 30-40. Im sure there is hard data out there and JB probably has it or has seen it.

By 30 people usually have the money to spend and are willing to spend it.

I'm not a believer as far as an age group percentage. I may be completely wrong but I believe it's more of when people have the money to purchase said new clubs. Some younger people just can't afford new clubs all the time due to getting started in life. Jobs, college, family and what not. Usually when people are a little older they have a little extra money and purchase more. So I don't think it's a retain percentage I think it's more of a marketing toward those who have a little extra cash..

There has been talk lately about golf companies changing their marketing strategies to attract a different segment of customers.
What percentage of golfers by age do you think spend the most money purchasing golf related equipment? Why do you think this is?

There is definitely different age segments and companies market accordingly. While some might be adding new twists to their strategies, to hit other segments, they still will use tried and true methods.

I'd say 30-40. Im sure there is hard data out there and JB probably has it or has seen it.

By 30 people usually have the money to spend and are willing to spend it.

was thinking the exact same thing. More of a means to make the purchases

I agree that their are most likely different age segments, but I would guess that the success of any company will depend on how well they can relate to each of those groups and market accordingly / have gear that meets the requirements of each group

Harry had some interesting thoughts on all of this in California. They are using social media to reach a certain segment, clearly not everyone uses social media, so they still use tried and true things such as magazine ads and commercials.

i think its under 40 for a few reasons i think younger people have to have the latest and greatest more than older people. and i think people grow out of clubs more when they are younger than older. only thing that i think people older have is they prob have more money to spend on clubs but that could depend on family and stuff like that as well.

I might be in the minority, but I think most companies aren't making clubs for the college golfer like myself. They are trying to sell towards the older, CC man who can pay a fortune for those clubs. Sorry, but I don't know alot of kids like me who can pay $400 for a brand new driver off the shelf. Even the college golfers at programs either get clubs for free through school deals (KSU has one with Adidas and some of the guys get TM stuff, or so I've heard) or stick with what they have. I know Cobra is trying to get younger and more vibrant and I LOVE that. But, you're going to tell me by marketing distance you're telling a 50-60 year old man he can hit a ball just as far as he did when he was 35. That's what I hear when I see those commercials. I think alot of companies aim for that demographic.

I'm not a believer as far as an age group percentage. I may be completely wrong but I believe it's more of when people have the money to purchase said new clubs. Some younger people just can't afford new clubs all the time due to getting started in life. Jobs, college, family and what not. Usually when people are a little older they have a little extra money and purchase more. So I don't think it's a retain percentage I think it's more of a marketing toward those who have a little extra cash..

I agree with what you said here. I also agree with those who mentioned the 30 - 40 age grouping as being a good starting point in purchase power per average customers.

All you have to do is watch and Adams Golf commercial to tell who they are aiming at. I think in a way that is good too. Obviously they are designing stuff for everyone but they are appealing to the champions tour aged players with added distance from their clubs.

Definitely items that are designed for and marketed towards different ages and skill levels. Sometimes they cross over (i.e. Cleveland Black and Cally OptiForce come to mind).

If there are people my age spending a lot of money of golf equipment, they either are over their heads, have a much better job than me, or don't have kids.

i think its under 40 for a few reasons i think younger people have to have the latest and greatest more than older people. and i think people grow out of clubs more when they are younger than older. only thing that i think people older have is they prob have more money to spend on clubs but that could depend on family and stuff like that as well.

I've seen many of my friends back home stay with their equipment for years not caring about the shiny new stuff. Then I move to a new town, join a country club and have seen some of the more affluent older guys buying new stuff every single year. It's crazy but true and demographics plays a major role imo.

edit: We've only been there a year but this is the truth. We have one older guy who has a truck slap full of golf clubs. Every new club that came out in 2013 he had to try. He's got more clubs in the back of his truck than Dick's sporting goods. :bulgy-eyes: KB knows the guy I am referring to :D

The regulars said him and several others are like that every year. They got to have the latest and money is not an issue.

I'd say the 20 to 40 age group, most of us older guys have established our games and realize that gear will not fix certain deficiencies, we dream of distance that the younger crowd has but we realize the importance of stability and consistency. just my thoughts on it.

I'd say it's trending younger and younger. One, creating a "brand homer" earlier makes for a lasting customer. Also, the age for "getting into golf" is changing. If I hadn't started playing before I had kids, I would never have gotten into it, I don't think. It's expensive, a round takes hours, but it's also a lot of fun and a chance to hang out with friends in a real life place, something I think many people are becoming more aware they're missing. But I'm not sure golf is something a guy gets into in his early to mid 30's after he's already established other elements of his life and is looking for a new hobby. I think if he doesn't get into it when he's in his mid-20's or so, when he's single or no kids and his weekend days are pretty free, then it might be awhile before he has that kind of time again unless he's made a habit of carving it out for himself.

I think the bulk of the golfers fall between 25-45 that are purchasing or feeding into the marketing. Take away your golf fanatics which I feel make a small segment of the population and you left with the young and middle tier that love new stuff

I'd say it's trending younger and younger. One, creating a "brand homer" earlier makes for a lasting customer. Also, the age for "getting into golf" is changing. If I hadn't started playing before I had kids, I would never have gotten into it, I don't think. It's expensive, a round takes hours, but it's also a lot of fun and a chance to hang out with friends in a real life place, something I think many people are becoming more aware they're missing. But I'm not sure golf is something a guy gets into in his early to mid 30's after he's already established other elements of his life and is looking for a new hobby. I think if he doesn't get into it when he's in his mid-20's or so, when he's single or no kids and his weekend days are pretty free, then it might be awhile before he has that kind of time again unless he's made a habit of carving it out for himself.

If a guy comes straight out of college making the big bucks I could see this however there are some, that struggle until they hit the higher steps in their pay categories.

I would think older as incomes and wealth increase.

I would think the 30-40 age group as they would be spending both for pleasure and for work related events.

KG

Just Tapping Away

I would think older golfers spend more. There is lots of talk about how the game in general doesn't appeal to the younger generation, and that they have to be targeted to keep the game strong. There are a lot of reasons for that, but that would lead me to assume younger golfers spend less.

When I was in my 20's and freshly back from Vietnam ( I did not go to college) my thoughts were not totally on the golf scene. I played a time or two but didn't have the extra bucks to commit to golf as a recreation sport. I was still searching for that perfect job that would set me on track for a career. Golf was not in my immediate future.

I know my disposable income went way up in my upper thirties. I'd guess 30-45 is the biggest buying segment. But I also see older guys in golfsmith walking out with a new toy every time TM has a new driver.

I know my disposable income went way up in my upper thirties. I'd guess 30-45 is the biggest buying segment. But I also see older guys in golfsmith walking out with a new toy every time TM has a new driver.

Did you see DawgDaddy up there! :act-up:

Did you see DawgDaddy up there! :act-up:

Sadly no. But I doubt dawgdaddy is ever paying retail anyways! Guess I should say really old golfers, 75+ who should probably not be gaming SLDR drivers.

Sadly no. But I doubt dawgdaddy is ever paying retail anyways! Guess I should say really old golfers, 75+ who should probably not be gaming SLDR drivers.

You're right. As the deal of the day King, that ain't happening :D

Back