Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP in depth look at this new driver from Tour Edge Exotics. Tons of great info here as Jason K put this through the test.

http://bit.ly/1kUCSuu

Good review right there. I had the pleasure of demo one of these as my local course has a great selection of tour exotics.. The review is spot on..

Good review, I wish there was someone in New Zealand that stocked this brand but there isn't which is a shame because there were some clubs of theirs I wanted to try before I put my set together.

Great review. The fact that it is so accurate and forgiving makes me interested to try it. While hitting it longer is great, finding the fairway is paramount for me to have a good hole, so straighter is better. Now I just have to find a place to hit it.

Nice write up Jason, I was not a huge fan of the XCG6 but it sounds as if they have made some improvements.

Thanks again!

Nice review. For some reason, I've never owned, or even hit a Tour Edge. I think it's got that "value" stigma instead of being a performance club, though it sounds like this might new driver might change some of that.

Nice review Jake, not often do we see a driver touted with a lower intended flight…..but it sounds like in this case it worked pretty well.

I prefer a 460cc head but the matte black and face shape on this one look really good. Great pairing with the stock shaft also!

Great write up Jason, I've avoided Exotics in the past because I could never get past the appearance, wether it was the sole or crown but they've hit a home run with this one as far as looks are concerned, I love the matte black finish with the subtle logo around the trailing edge of the crown, it looks sharp. Performance wise I've never been one to get the distance benefits that my buddies do from the Exotic line for some reason but when you described the crack at good impact my attention was gained, I look for that sounding a club. I'll give this one a look, thanks for the review.

Great review Jake, I like probably most havent tried the tour exotics brand before. Wouldnt mind trying this one out with probably a much higher loft to see what the results would be

Great review Jake. The "Power Grid" is an interesting concept to say the least. Love seeing all these companies pushing the envelope with technology. To the first point of TEE being under the radar, I think a big part of the issue is availability. The only place around here I have even seen a TEE club is the PGA SS and for me, they dont have anything in LH. I think they need to expand their visibility a little because from everything I read, their products are absolutely top notch.

Nice write up Jake. I don't know where your miss is on the club face, but I'm wondering if it is more forgiving on low mishits as opposed to mishits high on the face? Just curious if the Power Grid bails you out distance wise on low mishits more since it's on the sole of the club.

What a great looking driver. Every part of it is attractive. Thinking the deep face would be bad news for me though.
I loved this review Jake. You nailed it. Loved the explanations of all the technology in the head.

Nice writeup. Great stock shaft options. I think a lot of golfers (me included) would be better off with more accuracy rather than trying to chase a few extra yards. Playing at 44.75 rather than 45.75 or more like a lot of drivers out there, this is a great setup for those looking for more control and confidence.

I love my XCG6, so I can't wait to hit this one.

Do you know if the adaptor is the same one that was on the XCG6?

The regular version (not the tour version tested) is on my "to hit" list this year. Last year's model (XCG6) was long and forgiving across the face. The XCG5 reviews were similar to this -- not long, but highly accurate, though shallow face. The XCG4 was long.

I think the 44.75 inch shaft is the right way to go. I've seen much more consistency since going away from 45.5+ inch drivers back into the 44.5-44.75 inch range. It's amazing how much club face dispersion tightened up for me. I think it'd be wise for more OEMs to do this, and to pair it with adjustable weights so the head can work on longer and shorter shafts.

Tour Edge has an interesting challenge as a brand. They have the three levels of brand, but two are aimed at mid to low or low cappers:
- CB line: $ and lower handicapper
- Exoctics line: $ and mid to lower handicapper
- JMax / Bazooka line: value brand
The fairways and hybrid Exotics and CB lines definitely perform. You can look at independent test after independent test and see that. I do wonder how big the market is for lower cappers though. The designs typically are aimed there -- dead neutral to open faces, typically no alignment aids, etc..

You see absolutely nothing about the JMax / Bazooka line. I have no clue how they perform. I think the fact that the line that is aimed at more players is relatively untested hurts them in the market place. The other thing is that you just don't see many of their clubs in the box stores. This would drive their brand and probably be aimed at a larger audience, but they don't have much market penetration and momentum.

It's really tough for a smaller OEM.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I was really pleasantly surprised with every aspect of this driver. It flat out performs and is GREAT looking. People would be crazy not to include this on their list of drivers to demo if they are in the market for one in 2014.

For the tech, stock shafts, and price? They're knocking it out of the park. 3 degrees open at 9.5 might scare some people but to those of us who might struggle with a hook? You have my attention in a huge way!

Great feedback Jake!

Great review P4B! That is a great looking driver. Bummer it looks like it's RH only as I would love to hit that.

Curious to hit one of these. I have yet to hit one but will have to try out after this review.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I was really pleasantly surprised with every aspect of this driver. It flat out performs and is GREAT looking. People would be crazy not to include this on their list of drivers to demo if they are in the market for one in 2014.
I'm going to look for it in the stores around here and give it a swing if they have it! Sounds like a solid performer!

Great review. I never gave TE much thought until I hit the XCG6 and now I want to hit this new one even more. I need to look at the adjustability some more because the 3 * open has me a little nervous.

Great Review
I will have to give it a try if i see it at demo days

Great review. I never gave TE much thought until I hit the XCG6 and now I want to hit this new one even more. I need to look at the adjustability some more because the 3 * open has me a little nervous.

I'm sure they've got square and slightly closed. The general trend with the Exotics that I have found is that they're better players' clubs. The Xrail/Trilogy line is the lone exception and even those look more like mid-cappers' clubs than the high handicap market they're aimed at.

I've personally found Titelist to be very similar.

I hit this one on the simulator at the PGA SS with the Black Tie shaft. Great control and performance. It's a great pairing for high spin/launch guy. Personally I like to play my driver at 45.25, but playing at 44.75 certainly gives you the feeling of confidence and control. I typically don't pay a ton of attention to the bottom of the club, but I liked the looks of the Beta from the 'Power Grid' to the 'Dual-Step Cavity'. Hope people don't overlook this driver.

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, and I couldn't find a thread on it but I also hit the Beta 3 wood with the Black Tie and wow. I was seeing ball speeds similar to what I was seeing with the drivers I was hitting. Any idea if THP is going to do a review on that as well?

edit: was not sure what loft I was hitting on the 3w. Just realized they make a 11.5 and 13* as well

Last edited:
There is a stigma with me at Tour Edge, and I think that's because that's all we had for rental clubs at the course I was an Asst. Pro at back in the day. Those clubs where junk back then, and when they started messing around with drivers....those were sub par at best. So, I would need to hit this driver to really get a feel if they have finally changed that aspect.
This review seems to show that they have fixed that, but I'd have to hit it first.

Back