Votes: 43 42.6%
  • No, I don't use a 4 wood.

Votes: 58 57.4%

• Total voters

Adam Hartzell

Yup, I'm a lefty.
Reaction score
Handicap
I was talking about this with a buddy at the range yesterday. I've always had a very low ball flight off the deck with my 3w, even with a high launching shaft in there. It is fine off the tee, but I can't help but feel that I would benefit from a higher trajectory. I currently use a 15° 3w and a 19° hybrid, but was thinking about replacing both of those or at least the 3w with a 16-17° 4w. This of course is all dependent on the distance gap I'll get to my 21° hybrid though.

All this left me wondering if any THPers game a 4 wood.

I have the Callaway RFE 4w in the bag and don't plan on taking it out. It's my to club off the tee on tight par fours and second shots on par 5.

Have an sldr 4 wood on the way. I like the idea of it having a bit more loft for hitting off the deck. Plus I hope it will fit better as I will now go 10.5 17 and 19 in the hybrid. Room for an extra wedge.

Yes, I've got my Amp Cell cranked to the 4 wood setting. Helps me a bit to get the ball in the air. Still not that successfully, but I'm getting there :)

Yes, I use a 17* 3 wood which is basically a 4 wood. A few years ago my husband and I were at a Cleveland demo day and the rep had us hitting a 15* and a 17* on the launch monitor. We both hit the 17* longer than the 15* because we were able to launch it better. This was true off the tee and the deck if my memory is correct.

I have a 16* 4 wood. Use it off the tee and fairway. I have tried 3 woods in the past, but never hit them as well or as consistently as the 4 wood.

It's something I've considered in the past but never went that route. I seem to find myself fairly often on par 5s on a nice distance for my 5 wood and like hitting my 3 wood off the tee, so I'm happy with my setup for now.

I have played a 4w as well and do currently.

I think it's a great club with the potential to replace both the 3w & 5w.

Personally I'm beginning to see that I just have an overall better success with hybrids so will likely be looking to add a 2h to the bag in that 16* or 17* spot and it'll be my longest club besides driver.

FWIW, if the change would be made due to ball flight, you are generally speaking to a single degree of loft in some cases. My personal opinion is that it will not alter your ball flight that much if it is as described in the OP.

FWIW, if the change would be made due to ball flight, you are generally speaking to a single degree of loft in some cases. My personal opinion is that it will not alter your ball flight that much if it is as described in the OP.

That was my though too. I just don't see an extra 2° of loft making a huge difference. I do like Cookie's plan of a 2h though. I hit my 3h with a fair amount of consistency off the deck, so that may be something I'll have to try.

Once the new Callaway drivers come out I'll be scheduling some time in front of the Trackman so I'll be sure to spend a little time with a 2h and a 4w and see if wither work better for me.

I keep my amp cell at the the 4W setting, due to the course I primarily play.

Last edited:
I use to have a 3W for tee and fairway shots but 4W rescue club with rails underneath for shots out of the rough (pre-hybrids).

This is interesting, I do not currently play a 4W. I've been pondering what club to get to replace my 3-Iron. I'll have to look into this some more.

I use to game the XHot 4wood that was no joke. But now I'm back to just have a 3/4 wood Amp Cell which can be nice.

Put me in the club with the Amp Cell set to 4w.

I have an amp 4w and it is the only club that I've owned that has stayed in my bag for 2 seasons. I can't say enough good things about it. Idk if it's the 4w or the amp fw but Its amazing.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I have a 16* hybrid so it is kind of like a 4 wood but I use it more as a fairway finder and a good club from about 230

I don't currently, by I am thoroughly pondering one for 2014. I use my driver almost whenever possible, so I'm thinking a little less length and a bit more loft for my seconds on par 5s or a strategic tee shot might be a great addition. I'm no longer thinking driver replacement, but ball placement.

Sure do. I've found it to be a pretty good option. Still a bit long for me though. I choke down about an inch on it.

I have a Ping Anser 4w that I game from time to time. I only use it off the tee though.

I have the J40 4wood something would have to blow me away for it to leave my bag

My Mashie F3 is 15.5*, so it's sort of like a 3.5 wood...If I were to reboot the upper end of my bag, I would probably go with a 4W to 3 hybrid setup.

I alternate quite a bit between a 3 & 5 wood set up and just a 4 wood.

I have a 16.5° 4wd and find it easier to hit both off the deck and the tee than my last 3wd...and just as far.

I have the Optiforce 4w. I hit it more consistently than the 3w and hit it just as far if not further than my old 3w, so it was a no brainier for me.

Taps away

Back