The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

My biggest expectation?

To be a better version of myself than I am today. I know it sounds terribly broad, but there are a couple of factors that encompass this.

1. I want to be healthier, stronger, and more active. I have struggled with my weight for some time, mostly due to laziness. I want to step off the course on Staurday after 36 holes with gas in the tank. I want to be able to hit the ball farther and straighter. I want to smile more and not be scared to be photographed. I want to look back on the 2014 Morgan Cup through photos and be happy with the memories and not worried that my legacy from the event will be my appearance. I am into day 3 of my diet and the Morgan Cup is helping me keep focused.

2. I want to play my best golf, ever. When I step out on the course I want to be confident that I am an asset to my team, not a liability. I want to know that on Sunday if the Cup rests on my match I can close it out without fear or uncertainty.

3. I want to be happier. I have struggled with anxiety/depression and I believe that I can improve myself so that win or lose, I will be there on 18 on Sunday and be proud and happy with how I played and how I supported my team.

4. I want my sponsor, my Captain, and THP to be proud they selected me to represent them.

5. Lastly, I want to make sure the connections and friendships I have made through the next 7 months extend beyond THP. I made the mistake of being overly introverted in Vegas and missed the chance to get to know a lot of good people. I won't make that mistake again.

I'll address the last two. You've embraced the forum and MC in a great way. I am proud of you and we just got started.

You were quiet in Vegas but I still got to know you through our round. You have a lot to offer, let it shine brother. I enjoyed out round together.

Here's question for you all, also forum members, not just volunteers & participants.

What are your expectations from The 2014 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Golf Event Period?

What are looking for to hear, see, experience, do etc. Anything. This question will most likely be posted in different ways many times during the next 6-7 months, but I'd love to hear the thoughts of all the members supporting the event and all the first timer who don't know what they are getting into.

Remember to just jump in. There might stuff you miss, but you live the moments you jump in to.

Wow. So many great thoughts already expressed here, but I'll try to sum up how I feel about this event (and about THP in general).

I originally had no intention of trying to get in. I figured my game isn't good enough yet, and others are worthier, so I'd follow along & cheer from the sidelines. But over the holidays, as I talked to my family members, I kept describing THP and the friendships I've made over the past few months. I caught myself talking about THP-related stuff over and over, and I suddenly realized:

THP is, in a very real sense, family. And I'm a family-first guy. It just doesn't seem right to me NOT to give as much of myself to family as I can. I hate it when my own family members just go through the motions of being involved; you can tell who cares and who doesn't. Well, I can't do the same thing here. I feel like I'm cheating myself and others if I don't try as hard as I can to bring something to each post, to each event.

So I entered the Cleveland Twitter poem contest, and while I have no expectation of winning, I am feeling this sense of excitement and - joy? (hard to put into words).

I'm not a big rah-rah guy, and I don't gush over things, but I feel like I have the duty to be as alive and involved here as I am with my blood family, and that sense of involvement will pay dividends exponentially.

My expectations for the Morgan Cup:
1) I will work harder than I ever have to be the best teammate and golfer that I can be. (Already started)
2) I will enjoy every moment leading up to that first tee shot on the first day, till the last minute on Sunday. I will not get upset over small bumps in the road. I will take my responsibilities to THP & the sponsor seriously, but I will take myself lightly (if this makes sense. I will be laughing at myself a lot, but not because I don't care)
3) I will do everything possible to make the 2014 MC fun for every THP member - competitors, volunteers, and those that can't be ther in person
4) I will summon my inner Canadan to represent Cleveland (or any of the sponsors) in a way that makes them feel like they got a bargain when they signed on.

Whether I get in or not, I just feel better committing myself to this journey. Good luck to everyone, & whoever else gets in, I know they will bring it with everything they have!

I'll address the last two. You've embraced the forum and MC in a great way. I am proud of you and we just got started.

You were quiet in Vegas but I still got to know you through our round. You have a lot to offer, let it shine brother. I enjoyed out round together.

Thank you Freddie. Your kind words and motivation since that event resonates with me daily when I am on THP. I look forward to the opportunity to play with you again.

Well if your not following Twitter this afternoon, John Kim super tweeter of the PGA Tour, just vowed to make it to the Morgan Cup if he can fit it in. As I said on Twitter, that would make going there even if you don't get in even more epic . John Kim is hilarious, as most who follow him know.

Well if your not following Twitter this afternoon, John Kim super tweeter of the PGA Tour, just vowed to make it to the Morgan Cup if he can fit it in. As I said on Twitter, that would make going there even if you don't get in even more epic . John Kim is hilarious, as most who follow him know.

Wow, that's really cool. I had the chance to meet him at the PGA show last year and share a few drinks, hilarious guy that respects the heck out of Morgan & Josh.

Wow, that's really cool. I had the chance to meet him at the PGA show last year and share a few drinks, hilarious guy that respects the heck out of Morgan & Josh.

I do remember reading that he and JB are good friends, I'm sure it'd be awesome for him to attend.

I really hope he makes it. He's one of my favorite people to follow on twitter

I do remember reading that he and JB are good friends, I'm sure it'd be awesome for him to attend.

John attended the Atlanta Invitational this past year. Met him for a few and he was as nice as could be. Hope he makes it to Myrtle.

A lot of tremendous posts in here already! Will try to keep mine relatively short and sweet though it probably will not turn out so short...

1. Just competing for a spot in the MC has already helped me in 2 big ways: brought out a creative side in me that frankly neither I nor my wife really knew existed and it focused my attention to improving my game and has given me drive and confidence to the point where I dropped 1.6 index points on my last GHIN revision.
2. I have watched all of the coverage of the 2013 MC as well as the picture threads and I marvel at the camaraderie that is displayed through the lenses of those cameras and can see that is something that I absolutely relish being a part of. Though I have not met face to face any member of THP, I feel I know many of you through these visuals from the threads as well as forum conversation and PMs. Meeting, competing and teaming with fellow THPers at an event of this magnitude would definitely be the icing on the cake!
3. My dedication to the process, preparation, teamwork and competition would be second to none and I would certainly take full advantage of my opportunity by making my sponsor, teammates, competitors, THP, myself, family and friends proud that I was an integral part of The Ultimate Golf Event Period!

This has been a great thread today...really interesting getting to read so many different perspectives.

I like reading how excited the people who have been to one of these is. The way they say that each year is different. The amount of dedication they still have for it a and how they feel blessed to be there. I'm pretty sure that all of us "newbies" are chomping at the bit, but to have the veterans wanting it just as bad speaks volumes.

I think it's also cool that some of the captains are beginning their due diligence and sending PM's to possible team members and asking about our games, strengths and weaknesses. It really gives you the feeling that everyone is going to be involved and preperqtion is beginning to get real already. I can't put into words how thankful I am to be a part of this event, especially with all the support out there.

Last edited:
I like reading how excited the people who have been to one of these is. The way they say that each year is different. The amount of dedication they still have for it a and how they feel blessed to be there. I'm pretty sure that all of us "newbies" are chomping at the bit, but to have the veterans wanting it just as bad speaks volumes.

I've got experience from last year, but it kind of makes it even harder. When you're a first timer you just take everything in, you play the courses with fresh blue eyes not knowing and not caring about problems, you don't know what to expect so you don't expect anything. I don't have any expectations and at the same time I've got lots of expectations. If that makes any sense.

I think the biggest surprise to me at this point is how my initial perceptions are changing as part of this event. Take my sponsor: all I knew about Bridgestone is that they are leading the way on ball fitting, but had no idea on their clubs, but now that I'm looking into them, most people who play them love them and I think that says a lot about their quality. Has really opened my eyes about not picking clubs with preconceived notions.

Also, looking at the other participants, there were some names that I recognized more than others from the forum and initially tried to think about which team I'd want to be on, but not anymore. So many great folks involved that I really have stopped worrying about it because all of the teams are going to rock it, and even if I don't know someone now, you'd better believe I will know them by July.

So many things that I thought I knew are now changing for the better, and that part is really exciting. My biggest challenge will be to get out of my comfort zone and make the most of this opportunity, because it very well could be a once in a lifetime moment.

That would be truly awesome!

So many great posts in this thread. Very very cool.

I have not really though much about expectations thus far, as I'm just hoping to get one of the remaining spots so far. That said, I would say some expectations I have:

Participants playing their hearts out during the competition
True Blue Caledonia being an awesome host again
Sponsors blowing the minds of each of the participants and the participants proudly representing them the best they can
It being engaging for those following a long again, and even more so than last year
For expectations to be shattered by the awesomeness of the event and interactions with the sponsors

Here's question for you all, also forum members, not just volunteers & participants.

What are your expectations from The 2014 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Golf Event Period?

What are looking for to hear, see, experience, do etc. Anything. This question will most likely be posted in different ways many times during the next 6-7 months, but I'd love to hear the thoughts of all the members supporting the event and all the first timer who don't know what they are getting into.

Great question. As a first timer, it's an honor to be selected not just as a participant but as an Assistant Captain. I just want to do my best to support Donne in any way I can and hopefully bring home the MC trophy. The thing that most excites me about being part of the Morgan Cup besides crushing the collective hopes and dreams of Team THP is to experience the camaraderie that goes along with being part of the MC. I remember following along the last two years and wishing I could be part of the Ultimate THP event.

I also want to learn more about my game, become a better golfer, and lay it all on the line in July. I am looking forward to working with the Bridgestone Tour rep, learning more about the fitting process and the equipment knowledge that goes along with it.

There is something special about being able to hang out with fellow THPers and I got to experience it in Orlando at the Ultimate Club Testing. I think the MC is going to be a on a whole new level. I'm really not sure what to expect but I'm looking forward towards sharing it with everyone here and feel blessed to be part of it.

I expect to remember why I love this game so much, and gain a new appreciation for it and the great people who get happily consumed by it, and I expect to not let go of that memory for a long long time.

I know there's going to be a lot of work done to get ready for the Cup. Occasionally I'm going to reach the point of not wanting to go to the range, or grind it out on the greens, and possibly even not want to play a round, sometime this Spring. I'm not going to want to get in the gym, I'm going to want to have an extra beer or scotch when I'm watching my diet. There's simply going to be a lot of work, getting ready.

I don't expect to care or remember the work, once I get there. I expect to just have fun. And as much as the work is going to make me a better golfer this year, I expect the fun is going to make me a better golfer for as long as I play this game.

Having driven/flown/ridden to 4 events last year, the biggest thing I hope for if I make the MC is to make more friends & strengthen a few friendships. I have had an amazing time since joining this forum in 2011. I have had many laughs & a few tears. I expect the same will be said for the Morgan Cup.

I love competition! I have competed in hundreds of ballroom competitions in 23 years & several golf tournaments over the last two years. I love to compete! When you compete as often as I do, you know you can't win every time. I can enjoy the process AND the event. I take my students through the process multiple times a year. I am very good at prepping them, now I get(hopefully) to prep me for a big event!

With a deadline, I work well. So I am going to be working on chipping-pitching-short game stuff - with professional help. I am playing with a local group of golf nuts to sharpen my skills under pressure(read: money game). I have improved my driving, long irons, general swing & 40-100yd game immensely since September. I can't wait to see what I can accomplish by March & then by July!

Bring it on!

Hi guys I just wanted to say that I am out of the running for a spot, as much as I SO wanted to get in my lovely wife has brought me back to reality and said that if I was to make it we couldn't afford to get there. Even though you would not believe how much I tried to convince her that we could. I have enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone and entering in the contests and will probably keep on entering for the fun (if that is aloud). This event just shows how much it means to this community that a guy from all the way down here at the bottom of the world was willing and hoping to make it in, and travel all the way there. I am determined to make it to a THP event and meet some of you awesome members, and have a game or few. I have said that if the Grandaddy event is on the west coast like it was this year ill be trying for that is it would be more affordable and within reach for us and she has sort of agreed to that, well she didn't say no which I took as an ok to go for it lol. I will definitely be following along with you all and loving every minute of it from my computer, I am bummed I cant do it any more but am thrilled and excited for all the members that get in. Maybe one day ill be a Morgan cup participant. Thank you.

Hi guys I just wanted to say that I am out of the running for a spot, as much as I SO wanted to get in my lovely wife has brought me back to reality and said that if I was to make it we couldn't afford to get there. Even though you would not believe how much I tried to convince her that we could. I have enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone and entering in the contests and will probably keep on entering for the fun (if that is aloud). This event just shows how much it means to this community that a guy from all the way down here at the bottom of the world was willing and hoping to make it in, and travel all the way there. I am determined to make it to a THP event and meet some of you awesome members, and have a game or few. I have said that if the Grandaddy event is on the west coast like it was this year ill be trying for that is it would be more affordable and within reach for us and she has sort of agreed to that, well she didn't say no which I took as an ok to go for it lol. I will definitely be following along with you all and loving every minute of it from my computer, I am bummed I cant do it any more but am thrilled and excited for all the members that get in. Maybe one day ill be a Morgan cup participant. Thank you.

That's a bummer. I hope that the Grandaddy works out for you.

I feel you. It is going to be tough for me doing this trip too. I'd love to bring my family there too, but that goes just bananas money wise, and I hate that. My sister lives in NZ, and as you said, NZ is far away. It's expensive to get there from here, and I see her way too little. I think you should still keep on making those entries, just for fun. Who knows what could happen?

I hope the best for you, and even though it can feel bad at the moment, the wives usually have a clear view of things compared to guys being blinded by golf :)

I truly hope you'll be able to take part to a THP event, this is an amazing place!

I'd like to take a quick second and thank everyone for their support of this event. It's refreshing to see the back and fourth from MC staffers, potential staffers and supporters.

I think this years entry process really brought quite a few out of their comfort zone and it is great to see.

A lot of us really care about this event and the two people that made it possible so it's nice to see the support. I know it may not be a big deal to some but it really kind of is. So thank you for your support.

Hi guys I just wanted to say that I am out of the running for a spot, as much as I SO wanted to get in my lovely wife has brought me back to reality and said that if I was to make it we couldn't afford to get there. Even though you would not believe how much I tried to convince her that we could.
Sorry to hear that lopsta, but we all understand. I was in the same boat on The King...really wanted to go but it just wasn't feasible for the house calendar and the wife had to "help" me realize it. I hope to see you at one of the west coast events.

4u5u3azy.jpg

pequsagu.jpg

Back