Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

How did you guys play the S wedge from bunkers? Did you set up square and try to dig the sand an inch behind the ball? Set up square and try to pick it? Or did you simply splash the sand behind the ball?

Depends on the course. The bunkers are VERY DIFFERENT at each. I usually get cute and try to maintain spin and stopability

Good deal. Thank you sir. I still remember being in the greenside bunker on #1 True Blue on Sunday. That's a good 8 feet you have to make. Not that I'm planning to be there again, but you never know lol.
I can safely play the "Ultimate Flop" with this club. Without fear, and with good results. This club was MADE for the bunkers at True Blue.

I can safely play the "Ultimate Flop" with this club. Without fear, and with good results. This club was MADE for the bunkers at True Blue.

I'll have to try it out at Mission Inn for the heck of it

This I like to hear. Man, I may just do what I said earlier. Keep it just for those types of situations.

Of course you will, and you will like it. I know it.

I second this.

Don't fight it Mike, could be a great club for you in the MC.

I second this.

Don't fight it Mike, could be a great club for you in the MC.

It could, or it could be UGLY, like hide your wife and kids

It could, or it could be UGLY, like hide your wife and kids
This isnt your ordinary wedge, Mike. This has "turfmaster gamechanger" written all over it.

ok so I gues its a so so since there hasn't been many folks to use it. The way Cleveland puts it its a great game changer for the short game. But I guess every company says that about there new equipment. Ive never had new wedges before always had old ones. gonna have to try them out though once it warms up and theres no snow anymore.
There really hasnt been too much bad said about them at all, they have just worked for people

This isnt your ordinary wedge, Mike. This has "turfmaster gamechanger" written all over it.

Fact.

ok so I gues its a so so since there hasn't been many folks to use it. The way Cleveland puts it its a great game changer for the short game. But I guess every company says that about there new equipment. Ive never had new wedges before always had old ones. gonna have to try them out though once it warms up and theres no snow anymore.

IMO its had a good bit of feedback in here, and I trust THP'er feedback before pretty much anything else.

IMO its had a good bit of feedback in here, and I trust THP'er feedback before pretty much anything else.
Sounds good, say I usually have an issure where if the wedge is a high loft and I dont hit it right it does a line drive. So when I have to make a full swing right next to the green I feel uncomfortable. These ones look like it worked good with bump and roll which is was I usually when not in the sand.

Time will tell, time will tell

Spend a few minutes and maybe check out the feedback spread throughout this post. THPERS with early success from the get go, and if you look closely there wasnt much for complaints either.

Ok dude. You guys have successfully opened ponder mode for me on this.

These two clubs are on the top of my list to pull from my bag when winter breaks here. My backyard gives me room for about a 50y shot. I need to practice with the S wedge off a fairway lie, otherwise I didn't have a bad result with either club on the course.

After the feedback, I went ahead and ordered the Smart Sole S today and it will be here before next weekend's rounds at Mission Inn, so I'll undoubtedly get to try it out. While I don't typically have too many problems getting out of the sand, I would like to get more accurate for more Sandies. I also like to use my 58* around the greens a lot, so I'm interested to see how I do using this one not just as a bunker club.

For those who played the Niblicks, how does the S compare with the Niblick 56? It sounds like the exact same swing is used for the bunkers.
Completely different is the S Wedge. The S wedge is more of a traditional wedge with a very wide sole to help with turf interaction. Traditional setup at address and traditional length. I find the S Wedge a bit more versatile as a traditional wedge would be, where as the C Wedge compares directly with the Niblick line.

Been interested by this wedge. But is it really any different than using a PING G series wedge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been interested by this wedge. But is it really any different than using a PING G series wedge?

IMO, yes. The soles on the G-series wedges are big, but not designed to do what this is designed to do. The S is so easy out of the sand its mind numbing to me at times, also just lethal around the greens.

But what about out of the fairway, or is this a one trick pony? Or can it be used as an all around wedge?

IMO, yes. The soles on the G-series wedges are big, but not designed to do what this is designed to do. The S is so easy out of the sand its mind numbing to me at times, also just lethal around the greens.

But what about out of the fairway, or is this a one trick pony? Or can it be used as an all around wedge?

I enjoyed the heck out of it on full swings.

Do you think a similar result could be accomplished by using a high bounce sand wedge? Or is this truly a unique piece of equipment in your opinion?

Do you think a similar result could be accomplished by using a high bounce sand wedge? Or is this truly a unique piece of equipment in your opinion?

I really do believe its unique, and all that comes back to the weighting and how the design has allowed them to place the weight to effect the CG in a beneficial way to most golfers.

I really do believe its unique, and all that comes back to the weighting and how the design has allowed them to place the weight to effect the CG in a beneficial way to most golfers.

Good point. I didn't think of the weighting.

High bounce is part of the equation, but definitely not the same as this one. For what it does, it does extremely well. It will be less versatile than a wedge that you can open, close and manipulate, but it will also be more forgiving and easier to use.

Back