The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Marc, if your swing gets any better you're going to have to get a PGA card. I love watching you hit a ball and wish I could swing like that. Hope we end up on the same team bro.

I love playing with you Ken, hopefully we can meet in Myrtle for some practice rounds and Caledonia and True Blue this spring buddy, I'd really enjoy that.

Lessons will definitely be taken, I do think I will have lessons more towards the spring so I can take the knowledge to the course instead of whacking hundreds of balls to a wall 30 feet away.

That's my goal too. Although I know it's gonna be different come July, I want to play in tournament conditions and feel the pressure.

There's also a scramble in April where apparently I'm supposed to wear a kilt, according to the team captain. So there's a totally different kind of pressure going on.

If I play well there, I won't completely rule out putting on a kilt for #THPMC. Whatever I need to do to get an edge. #SwingFreely

I will give you a War Eagle Pro Tip;

Course. Management.

That's what it comes down to.

What are you talking about? Course management is boring golf and no one wins that way. /sarcasm

............unless they are on the peoples team.

I know last year some guys played in some local amateur (Golf Channel Tour, etc) tournaments to get geared up for tournament play in July. Besides THP invitationals and events, is anyone planning in amateur tournaments? I think I will try to play in a few of the Carolinas Amateur One Day tournaments as my schedule allows.

Im not playing in any persay tournaments, I am however going to try and challenge so reasonably close to me thp'ers. I already have two man best ball when it warms up and want to get into some single matches as well. I know it wont be as much "pressure" but thr mental side of just competing will help a little.

I have an honest question for each person that is beginning their journey to the Morgan Cup.
How many of you will not be taking lessons?

It's a priority when the golf season starts back up to get with my pro and make sure I'm bringing good habits to this golf season.

I can't imagine prepping for an event like this without instruction.. Especially if I were someone trying to improve my game or get under the 18 handicap requirement.

Im not playing in any persay tournaments, I am however going to try and challenge so reasonably close to me thp'ers. I already have two man best ball when it warms up and want to get into some single matches as well. I know it wont be as much "pressure" but thr mental side of just competing will help a little.

Come on over to T'ville on 2/22 to get some competitive tourney action in. We always play to win!

I am starting my lessons this week. Gotta get my swing fixed before the weather gets warm enough and I can get out there. I think its a no brainer to go get help because lessons will always help you.
I have an honest question for each person that is beginning their journey to the Morgan Cup.

I know last year some guys played in some local amateur (Golf Channel Tour, etc) tournaments to get geared up for tournament play in July. Besides THP invitationals and events, is anyone planning in amateur tournaments? I think I will try to play in a few of the Carolinas Amateur One Day tournaments as my schedule allows.

I normally play a lot of tournament golf during the season, starting with 15 in my home MGA, three of which are match play. Add two other associations I belong to and the average gets to 2 to 3 per month. My focus in these I'm sure will be a little different this year, however. Although I love the competition they provide, I have played them mostly for fun, and therefore have not always been totally focused during the round. I think these will be give me the opportunity to work on grinding out every shot and maintaining focus for the whole round. The GSGA also has a number of tournaments that I will look into. None of these compare, however, to the Morgan Cup. I have no doubt the pressure there will be like nothing I've ever felt.

I might try to get in one around here, I think the local town ones here though go on part of the work week so I wouldn't be able to play. Gotta save my vacation time up for all the THP events. But if not turnaments ill probably get in some scrambles I imagine.

Was going through some of the videos I had uploaded to YouTube and came across a video I had posted here on THP shortly after I started practicing for the Morgan Cup in 2013. It basically is the perfect definition of what my swing used to be when I first started to improve for the 2013 Morgan Cup. Fast forward to January 2014, my good friend tyno took video of my swing while I was working with the Apex Irons in the simulator without me knowing.

Now, I know my swing has improved and my handicap had come down, but I had forgotten what my swing used to look like when I first started. It was pretty cool to see the progress.

Now this isn't a self serving post by any means or a "Hey, look what I did, look how cool I am." post. I just wanted to say that, with hard work, and a end goal in sight, anything is possible. My swing in the second video is not perfect at all (shaft angle too shallow, not enough bend in the knees, flared my right foot out slightly) and those are things I am working to correct in the winter, but it is 10 bazillion times better than when it was back in December of last year.

But for all the high handicappers in this year's cup, just know that if you put in the work, the product will be there come July. I'll be your personal cheerleader the entire way, and I've said it before, but never hesitate to PM me with questions. We're over halfway through January people. GET PUMPED!

#TheGrindisReal.

Was going through some of the videos I had uploaded to YouTube and came across a video I had posted here on THP shortly after I started practicing for the Morgan Cup in 2013. It basically is the perfect definition of what my swing used to be when I first started to improve for the 2013 Morgan Cup. Fast forward to January 2014, my good friend tyno took video of my swing while I was working with the Apex Irons in the simulator without me knowing.

Now, I know my swing has improved and my handicap had come down, but I had forgotten what my swing used to look like when I first started. It was pretty cool to see the progress.

Now this isn't a self serving post by any means or a "Hey, look what I did, look how cool I am." post. I just wanted to say that, with hard work, and a end goal in sight, anything is possible. My swing in the second video is not perfect at all (shaft angle too shallow, not enough bend in the knees, flared my right foot out slightly) and those are things I am working to correct in the winter, but it is 10 bazillion times better than when it was back in December of last year.

But for all the high handicappers in this year's cup, just know that if you put in the work, the product will be there come July. I'll be your personal cheerleader the entire way, and I've said it before, but never hesitate to PM me with questions. We're over halfway through January people. GET PUMPED!

#TheGrindisReal.

Dude seeing the progress you made during the MC alone was nuts. Your swing Wednesday to Sunday was totally improved. Tempo - take away- everything got better. It was certainly a sight to see. I can't wait to see where you are at in 6 months!

I plan on joining the New York State Golf Association and participating in a handful of their state day tournaments.

I'm also lucky enough to have another MC'er (Six4Three5) in my area and we have some fun little match play prep plans.

Honest answer is probably not. I might have a tune up here and there with my local pro, but nothing scheduled. I purchased a membership all ready and don't really want to shell out more money than I have already budgeted.

Word of advice to those that are first-timers: playing in some amateur tournaments before the MC is a good idea, for no other reason than to hear your name announced on the first tee. That can be really jarring when you hear it for the first time, so to have that happen before you get to the MC will help reduce some of the nerves associated with the first tee on Saturday morning at the MC.

Honest answer is probably not. I might have a tune up here and there with my local pro, but nothing scheduled. I purchased a membership all ready and don't really want to shell out more money than I have already budgeted.

I'll look at your swing sometime during the spring/summer....I'm sure that's all you will need. :alien:

I'll look at your swing sometime during the spring/summer....I'm sure that's all you will need. :alien:

Hahaha deal. I'll buy the drinks after.

Dude seeing the progress you made during the MC alone was nuts. Your swing Wednesday to Sunday was totally improved. Tempo - take away- everything got better. It was certainly a sight to see. I can't wait to see where you are at in 6 months!

I still remember talking with you and yorkem at the range Friday and you guys giving me that tip about seeing the shoulder below your chin. Still use it today, definitely helps prevent that ridiculous over swing I had.

My lessons haven't stopped from 18 months ago. Every week from here right up to the Morgan cup, and will continue after as well.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

I still remember talking with you and yorkem at the range Friday and you guys giving me that tip about seeing the shoulder below your chin. Still use it today, definitely helps prevent that ridiculous over swing I had.

It wasn't ridiculous dude - just a little unrefined. It just needed to be alittle shortened. Then you became a stud.

That's true. Ridiculous overswing: that's my swing!

Haha not at all you just creep up on the ball and get handsy. Other that I love your swing

My local pro does offer a short game clinic though at a good price. I may jump on that

My local pro does offer a short game clinic though at a good price. I may jump on that

That's where I think I'm going to be placing a ton of focus. Between fast greens, nerves, and a tough course that'll still be pretty foreign to a lot of the players, being able to get it close with chips and pitches will be huge, especially for higher handicap players like myself.

That's where I think I'm going to be placing a ton of focus. Between fast greens, nerves, and a tough course that'll still be pretty foreign to a lot of the players, being able to get it close with chips and pitches will be huge, especially for higher handicap players like myself.

That and putting will help immensely.

Back