The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I have an honest question for each person that is beginning their journey to the Morgan Cup.
How many of you will not be taking lessons?

Right this minute, I am not entirely sure. I am working on some changes under the eyes of someone who knows my swing, but they are not technically lessons. Depending on what I see over the next month, I may do something more formal, but the available instruction quality within an hour radius is rather poor (I have tried multiple of them in the past). I know what my back-up plan is already, so there won't be time wasted if things aren't improving.

Im very confused by the Team THP logo in that graphic?

Just tried to create a similar looking logo to the others - couldn't find an official team THP logo here.

I have an honest question for each person that is beginning their journey to the Morgan Cup.

I am taking lessons. Right now my schedule is about 1 every 6 weeks. Gives me time to practice, engrain, and practice some more. Although I do shoot V1 videos and send them to my pro and he tells me if it's looking food and what needs more work probably every 3 weeks.

I can't speak for everyone, but my motivation to practice right now is at an all time high. I've been working an hour or two every day for the past 2 weeks. The practice is paying off and I am making strides every day towards my goal for this year.

I think I'm going to head up to myrtle a few times for some tune ups from an instructor up there, I've picked up some bad habits the last year or so and really saw how badly they effect me this weekend.

Just tried to create a similar looking logo to the others - couldn't find an official team THP logo here.

As of right now, Team THP has a logo. Its the one at the top of the forum. If that changes, we will make sure and notify everybody in the thread. While we love how excited everybody is in regards to the event, the teams and everything else, we must remember that logos and art are a bit protected.

I did not take lessons last year, and I had my game in good shape.

I know I could greatly benefit from taking some lessons, and really need to look in to getting up to Golftec for some help.

I have taken two lesson so far. With the snow we have gotten its hard to really practice what we have gone over in the lessons. Feel I was moving in the right direction then two steps back

I did not take lessons last year, and I had my game in good shape.

I know I could greatly benefit from taking some lessons, and really need to look in to getting up to Golftec for some help.

Thats a really good point War. Those of us that cant play year round, I think its even more important that you take lessons / practice as much as possible. I think it some cases, like you last year, having enough knowledge about your own swing and being able to practice/play as much as you want, can not necessarily replace lessons but can be a good alternative.

As of right now, Team THP has a logo. Its the one at the top of the forum. If that changes, we will make sure and notify everybody in the thread. While we love how excited everybody is in regards to the event, the teams and everything else, we must remember that logos and art are a bit protected.

Completely understandable and not a problem, Josh, I'll take it down.

This question isn't technically directed at me since I will be taking lessons, but I would strongly encourage everyone who is competing in the MC to consider it. I swallowed my pride and took my first lesson in a long time a few months ago and could not have been happier with that decision. There were some serious issues with my swing and I had an idea of what it was, but my instructor was able to show and explain it to me in a way I could understand. I was hitting the ball straighter and with more control after that lesson than I had in a long time. I also put in the range time to work on some drills that were shown to me. For those who are worried about cost, a lesson shouldn't cost much more than a greens fee at most courses. I know I won't be spending much money on equipment leading up to the MC so I'm saving there. If you are serious about getting better and being your best come July, I don't see how taking lessons can't be part of your plan.

I'm in contact with a PGA professional I worked with last season. We will likely start a lesson schedule in February.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Thats a really good point War. Those of us that cant play year round, I think its even more important that you take lessons / practice as much as possible. I think it some cases, like you last year, having enough knowledge about your own swing and being able to practice/play as much as you want, can not necessarily replace lessons but can be a good alternative.
I was fortunate enough to have some good friends that know my game quite well help along the way last year. The rounds with Freddie and JB paid off huge, as one of the biggest issues I have in the game is my mental block and getting in to a funk mid-round. Being able to find my way around the course and learning to play smart paid off big for me.

I need to work on my game off the tee, and I need to get back to work on my short game. My wedge game was what was so on last year that helped me a ton. Getting that back to where it was is a must.

My game plan is to get a few in Feb/March/April. Not to really change anything but to keep everything in a manageable working order as I practice. I know the amount of practice I am about to partake in is what can cause bad habits to creep in with repetition. Just want to ensure that only good things are happening

KG

Just Tapping Away

For the first time in my adult golfing life, I'm looking into lessons, and am planning on signing up for at least a few to see what a pro thinks of my swing. I've already posted a vid for Freddie, and the swing guru he is has given me some great tips that I'm working on, so we'll see where my swing is at when it warms up enough for lessons. A new co-worker of mine actually used to be a teaching pro and play on some mini tours, so I plan on playing with him often and seeing if he has any general comments about my swing or tips to help improve me.

I will be taking lessons and my number 1 goal of this week is to speak with a few local pros here who have an indoor facility available for lessons. I started considering lessons last summer as my game regressed, but my schedule, and a bunch of excuses kept me from starting. This time around there will be no excuses.

I can't wait to get some lessons in this spring. My game on Sunday at the MC and the few weeks following was better than it has ever been. I need lessons to get my game to the next level.

Just some tweaks here and there personally. Usually it's the same thing for me, grip, stance, alignment and posture

Based on this weekend I might need to find a new instructor, not because I don't trust him but my guy is at Golftec and I feel like I need more on course instruction to better prepare myself for on course adaptation. More playing lessons and less in bay hitting. I know I have a good swing, it just needs to be better managed during rounds.

I've got at least 4 lessons coming, probably starting toward the end of February, probably every other weekend until the beginning of April. At that point I'll assess how I'm swinging the club and see if I need a couple more.

I know last year some guys played in some local amateur (Golf Channel Tour, etc) tournaments to get geared up for tournament play in July. Besides THP invitationals and events, is anyone planning in amateur tournaments? I think I will try to play in a few of the Carolinas Amateur One Day tournaments as my schedule allows.

I hope the local news picks this up again this year. Was pretty cool to see you guys on there and spread the word in the area!

Lessons have been included in prep plans for the Morgan Cup. I have a very good instructor who I see whenever I get into a real funk and can't seem to fix it. But, lessons on a regular schedule to improve my swing and game are a must. My plan is every two weeks once the weather breaks. That gives me time in between to work on what he has given me. But, I will leave it up to him if he thinks that is too long between sessions, or modify it myself if I think I'm ready for the next step.

I think I'm going to head up to myrtle a few times for some tune ups from an instructor up there, I've picked up some bad habits the last year or so and really saw how badly they effect me this weekend.

Marc, if your swing gets any better you're going to have to get a PGA card. I love watching you hit a ball and wish I could swing like that. Hope we end up on the same team bro.

I know last year some guys played in some local amateur (Golf Channel Tour, etc) tournaments to get geared up for tournament play in July. Besides THP invitationals and events, is anyone planning in amateur tournaments? I think I will try to play in a few of the Carolinas Amateur One Day tournaments as my schedule allows.

The local club here in town puts on monthly tournaments and does quarterly leagues, so I'll certainly be playing in several of the tournaments leading in. Want to get a better idea of playing with some more pressure on me.

The local club here in town puts on monthly tournaments and does quarterly leagues, so I'll certainly be playing in several of the tournaments leading in. Want to get a better idea of playing with some more pressure on me.

That's my goal too. Although I know it's gonna be different come July, I want to play in tournament conditions and feel the pressure.

I'm hoping to maybe enter in some local events here. Wouldn't be a qualifier or anything, but I'd like to play a tournament and see how I would fare. I've got a little one coming in May, so that may hinder my ability to do that, but we will see how the chips fall.

Back