Insert Putters - What are your thoughts?

I used to hate inserts. The main culprit was an old TM putter that I had. I could not get the speed right with that thing, it seemed to have a hot spot and a dead spot in the insert at the same time, so no two swings would ever go the same distance. So I swore off inserts and played a few milled putters.

Until I picked up my SeeMore at PGA SS. That insert didn't bother me. It didn't feel mushy or springy to me. And then I have hit a few other insert putters lately that I liked.

So I guess you can put me into the group now that doesn't care as long as it looks, feels and sounds good.

I played none insert putters for years and years, but I've been using a couple of different putters with inserts in resent years. I don't really have a preference though I guess. I can putt with either type, although my current putters is an insert putter. My Metal X has just the right insert for me. I love the sound which makes it feel right.

I am generally a milled guy. I just prefer the feel and roll I get. However, when I was tinkering with insert putters, I couldn't find a better one that the Pure Roll from TaylorMade. I used the Spider for a while and absolutely loved it.

I've enjoyed a handful of insert putters in the last couple years...the Metal X and more recently the Smart Square have great sound/feel. I prefer a lower to mid pitched, softer feeling putter face rather than a higher pitched and clicky one.

I've had this discussion going on on my head for a long time. One thing that really stood out to me is what you mentioned in the OP. In internet land inserts are sort of shunned in favor of the sexy putters, but the use of Odyssey inserts on tour is staggering. I've always wondered why, especially seeing the number of people not being paid for it that literally have access to anything.

My first real putter was a WHT Rossie and I've always had a comfort level with inserts since then. However, my comfort level sort of starts and ends with Odyssey. Never been a fan of the other brands like I am Odyssey for whatever reason. I like that really subtle sound at impact.

At the same time, I have tons of milled putters and like them too.

I have mixed feelings on this one. From a straight looks perspective, I prefer a milled. But from a performance perspective, I have had really good success with the SeeMore Si series and the Nike Method insert.

Are there any performance benefits or certain situations on a green where a certain insert would perform better than milled or is that really golfer dependent?

It comes down to sound for me. Some insert putters like the Nike Drone had a funky sound to them that was a turn off to me. I don't get in to the softness of models though because inserts can be made to have that softer sound and feel than milled putters do. I have a mix of inserts and milled in my hoard. Used to really like the insert that was with the ping g5 putter series.

For my vanity golfer side I think the milled look better.

I have found that getting the right length and head has been more important to me than the head/face composition. After struggling for years with a 35" cast Ping, getting into a 33" with toe hang has improved my putting regardless of head makeup.

Once again, THP comes up with a wealth of different information and opinions - I have never taken much notice of a putter construction other than the shape so this is a thread I will not likely contribute to, but will be following with interest to hear what people have to say

I haven't gamed anything but an insert putter for at least a decade. For most of that time, I've used an Odyssey 2-Ball with their white-hot insert, and currently a putter with TaylorMade's PureRoll surlyn insert. For me, it's a matter of feel. My only experiment with a milled putter came last Spring when I made an impulse purchase of a SeeMore M3w at Golfsmith. It is a beautiful putter, but, try as I might, I couldn't adapt to it. I'm not sure it was the "hotness" of the milled face, or what, but, I could not control distance nor direction consistently. It could be that I "self-fitted" myself and didn't get it right. I hope so, because I plan to take it with me to SeeMore in June and get their take on the fitting. I love the looks of it and don't plan to part with it, at least until after I visit SeeMore. Maybe they'll convert it into a counter-balanced version for me.

I wasn't a big insert guy for years. Everything I played was way to soft and I felt I had to swing for the fences just to get the ball to the hole. So I played milled putters for a long time as I got much more pop out of it and I felt I could make a normal putting stroke.

Then along came the new Odyssey Versa putters with the revamped white hot insert that so many people loved. Well so did I. I rolled them in the store for a long time before pulling the trigger. To me it felt soft but firm like a milled putter. I like it so much I may never play a milled putter full time again.

Another great benefit for an insert putter is that you get a consistent roll across the face whereas if you hit the ball on the toe or heel of a milled putter you may not get the same distance or feel.

I'm not a fan of inserts. I've tried to like them, but I have difficulties with controlling speed. I'm sure it's all mental at this point. From my early days of putting with a TP Mills through years with a Ping then into SeeMore it's always been with out an insert. Then you bring in a totally different sound at contact. Just not for me I guess.

I'm a pretty big fan of inserts in putters. Milled putters tend to feel too firm for me, and I have problems with distance control.

The Odyssey MetalX Milled seems to be an exception. The putter feels solid, but also soft at impact. I'm still working with it, but I already have a good feel for distance.

I've always played inserts. My last two putters have both been Taylormade's with the pure roll insert and have really liked them. I've never gamed a milled putter actually, though from just playing around with them at work, tend to like them.

I would game both, not really partial to either milled or insert, just whatever feels good in weight and sounds good at the time.

I won't even pretend to know anything about inserts, but I do prefer them. If the sound is too clicky or loud I always back off as I feel like I'm going to run it way by. My favorite insert is probably the older RSi insert in the Taylormade Rossa putters....I see my best results with a more muted (soft sounding) insert.

Since I switched to SeeMore, it's been all milled. I tried to use a SeeMore Si3w and wasn't as good with it, but I think that might have more to do with the offset shaft. I do think I prefer the sound/feel of the milled FGP2 over the Si3 insert. However, yesterday at Golf Galaxy I hit a few with a straight-shafted Si3 & had no problems & the feel/sound was less noticebly different.

I guess at this point I'd rather focus on my swing mechanics & get really good with one putter than test out a bunch of different stuff. Maybe I'll investigate inserts in the future though.

I really like my Odyyssey White Ice #7. Been playing it for several years now. The problem I have with it is the face is relatively thin. Add in that its an insert it plays even thinner. Some times if I catch it with the low edge the ball rockets off, and with the top edge it goes nowhere.

I struggle with distance control anyways and when I miss the sweet spot on the insert I get some horrendous results. I have a couple other putters but every time I get close to gaming one I have a good round with the #7.

I have always been an insert guy for the reason of my putting stroke has a little pop in it and the insert softens the blow a little.

I will say unjust started with the SPI method and the pop is gone so I have gone back to a milled face which I love as well.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I've never been a big insert guy but probably because I never found on I liked. I've been gaming this Si2 now for about 2 years and love it. But I think it has to do more with deep milling on the face than the insert. I'm huge on face milling. It's something that I look for in my putter and if it doesn't haven't then I move on or will seek to have it added.

I can go either way. I see the purpose of inserts being two fold; better feel across the face ans consistency. I grew up playing mill faced putters and have never liked anything with an insert in it until I hit the WHP last year. I really liked how even misses felt, but still felt it was too soft. The Nike Method have a solid veel though.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

I've had this discussion going on on my head for a long time. One thing that really stood out to me is what you mentioned in the OP. In internet land inserts are sort of shunned in favor of the sexy putters, but the use of Odyssey inserts on tour is staggering. I've always wondered why, especially seeing the number of people not being paid for it that literally have access to anything.

My first real putter was a WHT Rossie and I've always had a comfort level with inserts since then. However, my comfort level sort of starts and ends with Odyssey. Never been a fan of the other brands like I am Odyssey for whatever reason. I like that really subtle sound at impact.

At the same time, I have tons of milled putters and like them too.

Great minds think alike Hawkster.

I'm in the same boat, more and more I can do both and can do so pretty interchangeably. But, I don't subscribe to the distance issues that some do with either inserts or milled being that different, they have always been in the same ball park to me and the stroke still dictates the distance.

A lot of great input and thoughts so far.

I've always been a milled putter guy. Not because I didn't like the insert, but mostly because I started with a milled putter & when I've tried inserts the same feel was just not there. I liked the firmer feel a milled provided. Now if I had started with an insert I imagine it might be the reverse.

I've never really had any issues with inserts In terms of distance control etc. it's always come down to feel. I'm sure I've missed out on some technology all these years not trying an insert again & that's why I picked up a Smart Square. This is the first insert that has that firmness I like and just gives me the confidence with each putt.

Same. No distance difference for me.

Some of my absolute favourite putters are inserts.... I think many get lost on the idea that insert = soft non-metal...

The PR line from SeeMore is amazing. Not really sure what it is about that insert, but I love the sound it produces (as well as the feel which many argue is the same). That said, I think the si series insert from SeeMore is what changed my game more than anything else. There's something to be said about a muted, 'soft' insert that really lets you go after a putt..

For me it's more about headshape than insert. One of the softest inserts I ever hit was the Bobby Grace DCT line. Even a rock felt soft on that putter face

Back