#TheKing w/ Callaway Golf - Final Rosters

I'm quick on the trigger! I will definitely be getting at least one in probably when I meet up with captaincaution. Should be able to find a course between us that neither of us have played.

There's a TON of courses we can find to play that would be new to us and challenging. Let's get crackin' on finding a time.

We've got a couple close by that I have yet to play which I've heard would be tough tracks. Jennings Mill Country Club in Athens, Ga. is where the Bulldogs often play some of their matches. Now this would be plenty challenging! Maybe Vman could join me as I don't know if he has played this one or not and it would be awesome for both of us to get this challenge in at the same time.

Great idea on the challenge! I have an email out to a few golfing buddies who are members at some challenging local courses to get a round in over the next 2 weeks.

On the preparation part, I haven't had the opportunity to play full rounds yet this winter mainly due to snow, but I have stayed very active physically and pushed myself mentally to overcome certain barriers that I feared. I have worked on my putting indoors all winter on varying carpeted and faux grass surfaces, and have spent a decent amount of time hitting indoors. I am really looking forward to getting outdoors now and dialing in my scoring clubs, working on turf interaction in my mid irons, and getting my long game into a groove.

I have only been to one THP event, the CT Invitational, which thanks to Mother Nature was almost a wash out. The range was flooded and closed, and even with a breakfast ball off of the nerve racking first tee it still took several holes to warm up on one of the most difficult courses I've played. Long story short, Lyman Orchards ate my lunch! I am really looking forward to the camaraderie of playing for a higher purpose than my own score and to cheer on my teammates to victory!

First of all, the trash talk is a joy to read lol. Either way the fans win. Love that you guys are getting in on the challenge as well.

You beat me to the post. I was coming in here and planning on directing them to that post. I think everybody should do it.

Sorry I got excite :D

Advice to everyone who has not been to a THP event yet: Find a go to shot you can rely on.
I failed in this on the very first shot of the HHI Invitational. It was the first time in many events I had not at least made decent contact. I pulled 3W, thinking straight, when I should've stuck with the big stick for surface area.
I flat out bombed some drivers after the 1st. Lesson learned. Great advice here, fellas.

Both drivers are pretty dirty long. Harry's team has some firepower, but Chad's team has someone with a lot of course knowledge. That team will know every spot to hit and miss it.

Aren't you gonna be whispering on the green while we putt? i was hoping to listen hard and know where to roll it right down the center of the cup?

Well i thought winter was over but we got snow again last night i can't imagine how bad the courses are with water right now as everything is drenched. I have started working on my swing doing some drills i'm praying the range will open this week sometime so i can actually hit some balls, but plenty of basic things i can engrain using good drills and get my swing in shape.

Hey Team Chad. I just shot the best round of my life...and I'm coming for you.

Practice paying off bigtime right now!

Hey Team Chad. I just shot the best round of my life...and I'm coming for you.

Practice paying off bigtime right now!

Peaking too early man. We're not scared, there won't be any magic left in the tank come April hehe :deadhorse:

But being serious, congrats dude!!

Time will fly, I'm excited to see how this turns out. One thing I do know is that my man Buckjob will redefine distance to all of you. :)

Peaking too early man. We're not scared, there won't be any magic left in the tank come April hehe :deadhorse:

But being serious, congrats dude!!

It was great! First round I've ever played to my potential with my dad watching. It was one of those rounds where I just felt so in control of the ball.

I have been spending 3-4 hours a day here just on the practice facilities and even got a few free lessons from some horrified pros haha.
In the last few weeks I have made the overdue choice to quit having a different swing for different clubs and its paying off big time. I only have to groove one swing prior to a round and not 4. 10 fairways today which is high for me.
Short game is revving up nicely and this great round was in spite of my putting, not because of it.

I wish I knew how to simulate the pressure I will no doubt be feeling, but I think today's round with my dad was a great start. I always want to impress him and as such usually play like crap.

I will be ready.

Great round ArmyGolf. That's the way to bring it.

I posted my scores from the HHI Invitational in the "What Did You Shoot Today?" thread but I thought I'd post them here as well. Goes with JB's challenge to the MC'ers and us:

Friday - Practice round at Fazio course. 39/40 for 79 on the par 70 course (only two par 5's). I played the whites at 6,239. CR 70.5 / 130 Slope.
8 fwys, 25 putts (11 one putts), no three putts. 4 GIR / 13 GIRP
Great short game this round. Best in at least a year. Hope that was the practice I've put in showing fruit!

Saturday - Invitational round at Hills course. The group played split tees. White tees on the Par 3's & 5's and Blue tees on the Par 4's. Distance for the combo's we played 6,449. Par 72. Shot 43/39 for 82. 7 fwys hit, 30 putts (8 one putts and 2 three putts). 9 GIR / 15 GIRP
First tee jitters got to me just a bit. I was fine until about 1 minute before our group got the nod to go. I pulled my drive into the left rough. Shook the nerves pretty quick but it shows how something they bring on can linger. I pulled the next 6 drives into the left rough. My first fairway hit was on the 9th hole!

Sunday - The RTJ course. Played the white tees here. Wanted to have a good time at 6,122. The blues on the card were 6,570 which stretches me out, especially at sea level like these courses. The whites were 70.2 / 129
I shot 40/45 for 85 on the par 72. 11 Fwys, 35 putts (4 one putts, 1 three putt, 1 four putt). 8 GIR and 14 GIRP.
Too many blow up holes this round, especially on the back. Had 4 double bogies on the back side. The four putt started that trend and I think got in my head a bit.
Need to shake something like that off if it happens at #theking. Have to work on losing my short term memory! :act-up:

Overall, I'm very pleased with how I did. I've had this circled on the calendar as a perfect gauge for my game with just over 5 weeks left til Orlando. Need to work on my long irons, course management, short game and greenside bunker play. Have a series of 3 lessons scheduled prior to heading to Orlando and I'm looking forward to my instructor helping me tighten things up for April.

Strength of my weekend had to be my wedge game from 70 to 100 yards. Hit some solid shots in that range. I need to remember that and layoff some of the hero shots I try to hit. Many times I'd be better off laying up to that wedge range and try to get up and down. Will lead to less trouble!

Edit: Forgot to add this was my first time playing any of these courses.

Last edited:
You're not on my team but that was an excellent summary there buddy ?

Awesome scoring too ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome round Army! Saw it in the what did you shoot thread I think. Nice work dude.

And that was an awesome review of your weekend cpl! Thanks for posting that up, it was honestly cool to read through. You started off really really well. Shaking off anything that goes wrong is definitely going to be key. Playing 3 rounds at new challenging courses, it's bound to happen.

Honestly I hope everyone is at the top of their game when this comes up. Tight and great competition is 10 times more fun than someone getting blown out.

Great summary of your weekend Barry and nice shooting!

I am up tomorrow at the crack of dawn to hit the range and green for a few hours and then playing Escena, followed by the Nicklaus Tournament course at PGA West on Thursday afternoon so I will post those scores as JB recommended.

It was great! First round I've ever played to my potential with my dad watching. It was one of those rounds where I just felt so in control of the ball.

I have been spending 3-4 hours a day here just on the practice facilities and even got a few free lessons from some horrified pros haha.
In the last few weeks I have made the overdue choice to quit having a different swing for different clubs and its paying off big time. I only have to groove one swing prior to a round and not 4. 10 fairways today which is high for me.
Short game is revving up nicely and this great round was in spite of my putting, not because of it.

I wish I knew how to simulate the pressure I will no doubt be feeling, but I think today's round with my dad was a great start. I always want to impress him and as such usually play like crap.

I will be ready.

Glad to hear it man! Sounds like you're having a blast down there. Also glad you're playing well right now...I'd hate to beat Team Harry when they're not at the top of their game, it would just be like piling on hehe :deadhorse:

I had my simulator league night tonight, and came away with some positives. I struck the ball really good, and after yesterdays driver lesson, I hit a few really good drives. I actually won my group tonight, but had some help with one of the better players having an 8 on a par 3. I had only one big blow up hole, and gutted out some good shots from some tough places. I just need to get more consistency and trust my shot. I sometimes have too many thoughts going through my head before I swing, but when I just relax and hit the ball, good things happen. Definitely more good now than ever. I started golf late, as this will be my fourth season playing. This is also the first year I have worked through the winter on my game. Going to take a few days off and work on putting, as I need to rest my sore elbow.

THP #theking #imwithchad

Prepping for the King: I have my first lesson of 2014 scheduled today at 3:00 p.m. I have no doubt in my mind one of the most important elements I need improvement on (beside consistency in putting) is my attack angle with the driver. This will be a key focus for the first couple of lessons. On another note, I have been playing as much as possible when weather allows. My iron striking is solid and my wedge game is improving although that will be focus #2 in my package of lessons. Let's git er done!!

Good stuff OG. Embrace the journey and it will make you a better player. Good luck on the lesson.

Good stuff OG. Embrace the journey and it will make you a better player. Good luck on the lesson.

I'm excited to say the least and thanks for the encouragement :thumb: 2013 was a bummer of a year for me in many respects however good things are on the agenda for this year. I'm thankful to have good health, great family and friends, and a positive outlook. I'm ready.

I'm excited to say the least and thanks for the encouragement :thumb: 2013 was a bummer of a year for me in many respects however good things are on the agenda for this year. I'm thankful to have good health, great family and friends, and a positive outlook. I'm ready.

Sounds like a winning combination and on top of that, the ability to be named #TheKing could be the icing on the cake.

Sounds like a winning combination and on top of that, the ability to be named #TheKing could be the icing on the cake.

You got that right!!! :bomb:

Git er done OG! I don't want any excuses when team Harry out duels team chad.

In all seriousness I hope you get the most from your lessons sir!

Git er done OG! I don't want any excuses when team Harry out duels team chad.

In all seriousness I hope you get the most from your lessons sir!

Thank ya my King bruther. Although we are on different teams I really want everyone to succeed in their prep for this event. We're all in it together and I'm pulling for everybody to have their "A" game come April.

Prepping for the King: I have my first lesson of 2014 scheduled today at 3:00 p.m. I have no doubt in my mind one of the most important elements I need improvement on (beside consistency in putting) is my attack angle with the driver. This will be a key focus for the first couple of lessons. On another note, I have been playing as much as possible when weather allows. My iron striking is solid and my wedge game is improving although that will be focus #2 in my package of lessons. Let's git er done!!
Love to see the work you are putting in for this, Bill. Glad you are bringing your A game down to Orlando. Going to be a tough matchup that lies ahead for both of our teams, but the hard work will definitely pay off.

Back