The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I hope JB words hit home for all 40 of the MC participants. I have not been around that long and have witnessed two Morgan Cups from the outside looking in thinking "it would be cool to be in that". Then after last year seeing the videos and all the build up to this years contests I realized this is just not a "cool event". This is the ULTIMATE event. Something that as amateurs will get us as close to a tour pro as we will ever be. An event that deserves 100% of what we have to give and nothing less.

After each contest when my name was not called a little piece of me went cold. That is not to be dramatic, but my mood was horrible for a while until the next contest was announced. (my wife can attest to this). Then final contest ended and I was not called. Two weeks or so where I was depressed, bummed out & didn't want to pick up a club. Fast forward to #OwnTheSecondShot in Dallas. My first THP event and meeting THP'ers & MC participants for the first time. Playing my practice round with #Cookie & Jman was like we had been friends for years. This opened my eyes to what the Morgan Cup is. It's not about any one person. It's about THP as a whole and how each participant will own their journey. How you will first and foremost do yourselves justice with preparation, which in turn will honor what the MC is. I realized that my part in this journey was to help out anyone where I could. Whether that be sharing my previous tournament/match play knowledge or just talking golf in general. I owed it to myself & THP to not be selfish and help where I could.

Again I'm fairly new around here and not many people know me on a personal level, but the offer stands. If I can help anyone in their journey I would be honored and please do not hesitate to reach out. Good luck to all in your journey.

Beags, you rock brother. You're family forever.

I was a newbie here on THP when the first MC happened in 2011.

In 2012, I knew that whether I was a participant or not, I was going to be IN the Morgan Cup. So, I packed my bags, and flew myself to Myrtle Beach to do whatever I could to lend a helping hand. I immersed myself in all things Morgan Cup, even as a volunteer, as a spectator.

In 2013, I was honored to be selected as a Morgan Cup captain. I changed everything about myself as a golfer and poured my heart and soul in to getting myself ready for the Morgan Cup and the entire ride that it entailed. In hindsight, there are so many things I could have/should have done different as a Captain. In a way, I felt that Team Albatross losing the Morgan Cup fell directly on to my shoulders. It was a crushing feeling. It hurt.

2014- Asked to be a part of Team THP, and I was elated. Talking with my team, talking with my Captain, and just being able to embrace the journey for a 3rd straight year, yet being involved again in a different capacity had me pumped up and ready to go. The Morgan Cup has been a part of my life for 3 solid years. Day in and day out, I have lived it, thought about it, prepped for it. I have been working my best to get myself ready, and now, it's time to shift gears and go even harder. A motivated War Eagle will be in Myrtle Beach for my Captain, and my Team. I refuse to feel what I felt last year while watching others hold up my Cup. I know what I need to do, and I will do everything that it takes to have myself ready, be at by my play, or by supporting my team mates along the journey, or putting my head down and just flat out doing whatever is needed of me.

On another note, back in November I made a life-changing decision to leave a steady career to go off on my own, and venture down a new path. I know there has been talk, it is what it is, but I am just as dedicated to THP and the family here as I ever have been. Working now more than I ever have in my life, but every spare second I have, every down minute I have during the day, I am putting my heart and soul in to THP and my golf game. I will take the fuel that has been given to me and add it to the fire that I have lit under myself.

I will be ready.

I love this man.

Thanks boys.

#THPMC 2014. It's on.

I was a newbie here on THP when the first MC happened in 2011.

In 2012, I knew that whether I was a participant or not, I was going to be IN the Morgan Cup. So, I packed my bags, and flew myself to Myrtle Beach to do whatever I could to lend a helping hand. I immersed myself in all things Morgan Cup, even as a volunteer, as a spectator.

In 2013, I was honored to be selected as a Morgan Cup captain. I changed everything about myself as a golfer and poured my heart and soul in to getting myself ready for the Morgan Cup and the entire ride that it entailed. In hindsight, there are so many things I could have/should have done different as a Captain. In a way, I felt that Team Albatross losing the Morgan Cup fell directly on to my shoulders. It was a crushing feeling. It hurt.

2014- Asked to be a part of Team THP, and I was elated. Talking with my team, talking with my Captain, and just being able to embrace the journey for a 3rd straight year, yet being involved again in a different capacity had me pumped up and ready to go. The Morgan Cup has been a part of my life for 3 solid years. Day in and day out, I have lived it, thought about it, prepped for it. I have been working my best to get myself ready, and now, it's time to shift gears and go even harder. A motivated War Eagle will be in Myrtle Beach for my Captain, and my Team. I refuse to feel what I felt last year while watching others hold up my Cup. I know what I need to do, and I will do everything that it takes to have myself ready, be at by my play, or by supporting my team mates along the journey, or putting my head down and just flat out doing whatever is needed of me.

On another note, back in November I made a life-changing decision to leave a steady career to go off on my own, and venture down a new path. I know there has been talk, it is what it is, but I am just as dedicated to THP and the family here as I ever have been. Working now more than I ever have in my life, but every spare second I have, every down minute I have during the day, I am putting my heart and soul in to THP and my golf game. I will take the fuel that has been given to me and add it to the fire that I have lit under myself.

I will be ready.

With no talk, it means no caring. Making yourself a better person regardless of the situation is never a bad thing.

I want to take the next four months off work and spend them at the golf course.

Four months.
4 months.

And they are going to go QUICK.

I think together we could make this work!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I love this event and have since the hot morning I stepped onto the Reunion Range 4 years ago. I was a stranger among what seemed to be a tight knit group. I saw the taylormade staff bags and the Callaway staff bags filled with clubs. I saw 2 groups of 8 guys dressed a like, chatting and laugh in the hot Florida sun. It was a sight to see and I was so very happy to be a part of it. I knew that morning I wanted to be a part of the event.

Well that became a reality last year and it was one of the greatest realities of my golfing life. I left the 2013 MC with a heavy heart because I truly felt I would never play in the event again. As much as I wanted to come back, I felt others should get to feel what I felt, it was something special. Well, on a cloudy day last October as I walked the streets of Seattle, I read a post that gave me chicken skin. Team THP was coming back and I was a member of that team. So now I am representing a guy and his wife that I hold in very high regard and I am very protective of (that is how I am with those special to me). I am standing side by side with my THP brothers and I get a chance to repeat as MC Champ. There is a lot more but I will not bore you with it.

So we are moving rapidly through 2014 and fastly approaching our date with True Blue. This will be the first time for 25 guys to experence the pressure, emotions, brillance, fun and personal gain. You'll forge bonds you did know you could that only the guy next you will understand. As my frind Tyno said, this is not an event for normal people. We are a rare breed and that will be made know as the weeks start to peel away.

We have covered being prepared to death the last two days, so no need to rehash. When we walk out to the Range that Friday of the MC at 8AM, you will know at that moment if you are ready. It will be a feeling of pressure you have never felt because this sh!t just got real. Then on Saturday when JB seems annoyed, choked up and happy all in a few seconds, makes his annoucments...You will know nerves like no other. Sure some will be cool as the other side of the pillow but most will be nervous as hell. At that moment you will think back to the process and wonder if you did enough. You will look down the fairway at a huge fairway bunker right, hazard left and say, I hope I hit a good one. No because you need to but because you dont want to look like a fool in front of 50 plus people. You will develop a case of nervous laughter or may be cotton mouth. The reaction of the moment will be different for everyone but make no mistake, there will be a reaction.

The weekend is a blur bu the memories are lasting. You will be a part of a brotherhood and that will always be yours to hold close. Embrace it, hold it close and don't let go. I promise it will be a momnet in time you will never forget. I can't wait to get to MB and see everyone and build upon the foundation that started as an idea in the mind of my brother.

i-PTFWpkd-XL.jpg

we're going to need a wider lens.

I can't wait for staff sponsor day. That Friday is without a doubt one of my favorite days of the year.

Was thinking about the picture the other day and wondering how the hell that photo is accomplished with 40 guys.

I've been getting caught up with all that's been put out on this thread, reading JB's posts, and seeing a couple of other things about how much time we have left, and that there's still so much time to improve. Embrace the grind. Playing smart. I've learned more about golf in the past month than I have in the 7 years since I first played a round. I volunteered for night shift whenever I can get it, because if I work all night, I can steal some sleep and get 9 or 18 holes in nearly every day I enjoy the rest of a walk between shots. I love it. When I'm not at the course, I'm reading up on the game. I haven't been this immersed in something, I think, ever. I've spent a lot of the intervening years since the last truly immersing experience I've had happy to learn through osmosis, get through, figure it out while you're doing it. I've been lucky to be good naturally at most of the things I do. Golf won't let me do that. I love this game for that. It's gotta be all or nothing. Even when I hate a shot, or a bounce, I love this game. I am infinitely thankful to THP for being the fraternity that it is, of all of us on a journey, not just to better, but to great.

I'm prone to rambling, so I'll just say that while I probably haven't posted as much as others about my journey, it's still ongoing. It's work for the sake of a game, because the participants make the game, and the work, worthwhile.

40 guys and 40 staff bags. Oh man that's gonna be an awesome photo. God I can't wait.

Four months to live the journey we each want to have. Regardless of the quantity or quality of the prep since selections, four months is what is left. In not exactly the same words, this is what I wrote about to Team Hackers earlier today.

I was a part of that first year of the Morgan Cup. I had 100% no clue what I was doing, and as someone who doesn't have a history in competitive golf, I had no idea how to prepare before the event. Sure I played more than normal, and I practiced more than normal, but I didn't buy-in to the level that I know now is needed for me to feel good about my journey. In fact, I didn't even play poorly other than a few hole stretch in the second round. In hindsight, I had regrets once I understood what had just happened...regrets that I didn't prep harder, regrets that I didn't represent my sponsor in the proper way (particularly after the event), and regrets that I didn't honor THP in the way I had the opportunity to do.

It is rare to get a second chance in life to make up for your regrets, but I have been given an incredible chance to do just that, and I plan to take full advantage of that. Each of the captains have different approaches, and I am taking the tact that I think benefits my squad the best. Whether that brings us home the Cup or not, I can live with myself as long as I represent this team, THP, my awesome sponsor Callaway, and myself in a way that I can be proud of. I feel that I have done that this far, and I'm only going harder from here through the rest of the journey.

Was thinking about the picture the other day and wondering how the hell that photo is accomplished with 40 guys.

Fisheye lens

It is getting serious in here today and I love it, the amount of passion in this thread is unmistakable. If I were a first timer I would be very busy bugging a teammate of mine that has been there to pick their brain to get any idea of what the pressure feels like, how to deal with it and how to thrive in it.

I am fired up, it makes me want to get out work on my game, play a round and do anything golf, even though it is currently snowing right now. Keep working hard everyone, those of us that wish to compete in the Morgan Cup one day are counting on you.

Josh....WOW. I'm not sure my heart beat once reading your 8:56 post. I'm certainly not short on motivation, but feel free to keep typing those out.

Wow, been watching a movie with my daughter (CaddyShack). I'm proud of all of you. JB, I'm proud OF you and FOR you. I'll see you soon.

JM

Incredible wisdom spoken here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to play some golf. Wow

we're going to need a wider lens.

I can't wait for staff sponsor day. That Friday is without a doubt one of my favorite days of the year.

I just said the exact same thing.

Bold emphasis mine. I can only imagine that coordinating such a massive enterprise has to be exhausting. There are multiple company sponsorship's to work out and honor, setting up the venue, ensuring that the event is properly promoted and televised, walking the athletes through their obligations, and many many other responsibilities. There are obviously some things that are more easily controlled, but with each individual added to the event there is one additional worry that gets added to the pile of stress that such a massive event already generates. Is everyone doing what they committed to doing? Sometimes that question doesn't get answered until game time.

As an outsider looking in this year, the whole process is very exciting and I am really looking forward to experiencing as much of it as I can. To say that the possibility of this event occurring in 2015 has inspired me to improve my own game is an understatement. I truly believe that I'm not the only high handicapper at this site who has seen the coverage of the Morgan Cup and said to themselves "Next year, this is me. I can improve my game and get invited next year if I work hard enough at it." Therefore let it be said: those who are playing in the MC this year are the benchmark for those of us who want to play next year.

While it's obvious to state that the MC teamers need to look no further than the 7 other members of their own teams to find motivation, they also owe an honest effort to everyone who dreams of being a future Morgan Cup Staffer as well. In other words, no pressure guys.

It's like you read my mind! I spend a lot of time reading and catching up on these longer threads as a newer member rather than posting. Until I joined this forum I never knew something like the MC could exist. After reading about it I went to work the next day talking about how great this forum and the MC must be. I too am a high capper working to get better. I had $1000 saved for new irons and decided on lessons instead. I am practicing more than ever trying to drop my handicap to be below the qualifying threshold for future Mc's. Thank you THP for the kick in the butt that I have been needing.

As I sit here and read all these posts, I just sit and soak it in. I have always been a pretty introverted person, and only recently when I got serious about golf and THP, I have seen a gradual change in me. THP, I call it my Internet Home, and is members my friends, family and brethren. To be bestowed an amazing privilege to partake in the Morgan Cup, it brings thoughts and emotions I cannot adequately express. The number one priority is elevating my game, in order to truly leave it all out there, make my teammates proud and do right by them. Most important is that I will make the most out of this opportunity given to me to improve myself as a person, my golf game, and experience every moment of this incredible journey.

All in...
attachment.php

Back