The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've hit so many balls on the range lately that my back is sore. Do I back off, nope. I put on a back brace because I will be a factor at the King in April. That's a fact Jack. :bomb:

The good thing about my full swing being on timeout until Friday is that I have a lot of time to practice short game. One of my goals this year was to really improve my short game and it has been paying off so far. I'm no wizard around the greens but I'm in a much better place than I was a few months ago. Took one ball and a few wedges and a putter to the practice green this afternoon. I just kind of ho hum threw the ball around and tried to get up and down from wherever it landed. Did that for about an hour.

One of my favorite games to play as well. Sucks though when you give yourself a really bad lie and you just look at it and say to yourself, "what the heck, would I even see this on the course?" And then see what you can do from there

I've hit so many balls on the range lately that my back is sore. Do I back off, nope. I put on a back brace because I will be a factor at the King in April. That's a fact Jack. :bomb:

Looking forward to seeing it happen.

One of my favorite games to play as well. Sucks though when you give yourself a really bad lie and you just look at it and say to yourself, "what the heck, would I even see this on the course?" And then see what you can do from there

Yeah I had one today that wasn't technically in the bunker but it was, if that makes sense. It was on a down slope being held by a clump of grass. Probably couldn't have placed it any worse if I tried. Did not get up and down on that one.

Had a decent range session today before my round. Continuing to focus on my irons. While it's not paying off much on the course, I'm really trying to focus on getting that downward strike with my hands ahead of the club. Then while I was working after my round, I realized how much tension I'd been developing in my hands and arms trying to "aim" the club at the ball. Need to relax, and let the movement of my hips carrying the club through the ball.

Back to rule #1. A good golf swing is something the golf ball just gets in the way of.

My first formal lesson was tonight. 3 key takeaways on this journey just getting underway:

1) butt of club needs to point at belt or just higher (my hands were way too low)

2). My head needs to remain on plane...bobbing up and down causes so many other issues leading to all kinds of consistency issues

3) tempo. I'm so much better at keeping head on plane when I have a good tempo and don't get jerky

Lots to work on but these are simple things to start. I'm gonna hit some ugly shots this weekend....but I do that regardless. Long term process here.

Put in somemore work with the hybrid tonight. I'm really starting to like this Adams Pro hybrid. I was practicing into a stiff had wind tonight, yet I was seeing some really nice ball flight and distance.
I did start with the hybrid, but today's range work was all about wedges. I really want to start getting all my wedges dialed in. Started out with the PW, then 51°, 54°, and finally the 58°. The wind made it a little difficult, but it made me slow down and concentrate on my swing. The results were very positive. The impact ball work that I have been doing is really coming along nicely. Wish I had a few more days before Lake Charles, but I think I am in good shape for this event.
For the last 50 balls today, I started at the bottom of my bag, and hit one or two shots with every club up thru the 2 drivers in my bag. Then I went back down thru the bag. Everything was working nicely.
I wrapped up the practice with quarter swing PW into a flag about 80yds out. This is a shot I want to be able to control into the wind. I was having some mixed results with it, but I did see how this will be a good shot for me in the future.

First step cookie. Proud of you!

No golf swing tonight. Just upper body in the trx and a few putts between sets to kill time.

Played 18 today but short game needs improvement so went and bought 2 dozen practice balls and shag bag for daily chipping/short game sessions. Right now I'm at a 3/10 up and down ratio, I WILL at 7/10 in 2 months.

With another inch of snow on the ground it appears another lesson cancellation is imminent. Could probably do one indoors but Id prefer to save it and work on the game outside. Looking at the forecast hoping Monday is the day, and at least the day to be able to get out and start working on my game even if its on my own.

Did my first two a day practice yesterday. Did a solid hour right when I got home from work and then went back down to the basement for another 45 minutes around 9:00 last night.

First session felt really good, continuing to just work on hip bump and really emphasize hitting to right field. I wasn't to concerned about club face in this session, just get that motion from in to out. I even angled my mat about 10-20° to the right and lined up to the ball square so I had a bit of a visual when I was making the swing.

Second session was all about club face. I still left the mat angled, but this time, I focused on keeping the club face closed in my backswing. I felt like I was over exaggerating it when I was taking the club back, but I stopped my downswing a few times to see if the club face was really closed and it was almost perfect, in fact, it was still just a hair open. That is one of my huge problems that has developed, with this new back swing, I am leaving the club face way to open and losing the "feeling" of where it should be at impact. Adding a ton of dynamic loft to the club which leads to shots that are much shorter than they could be. I'm looking forward to my lesson this Sunday. It's going to give me a good barometer of how I've been progressing this winter.

Interesting day at the range for me today. Swing felt out of sorts... I hadn't hit a golf ball since Friday due to a sore back and work. My wedges felt great but as I worked my way up the bag the shots got more and more off line. After a couple poor shots I would take a step back and work on some half swings to get the feeling of swinging right. I would see a few good half swings but couldn't translate it to a full shot. I decided to stop beating balls and play a couple holes to see if I can do a little better on course. The first 2 holes were bad. I just didn't feel right. I wasn't completing my swing. Mentally going into the last hole I played I just wanted to get off the tee box with a good drive. I made a really nice swing and hit a very good drive. I had two more nice wedge shots and a 2 putt for a par. My spirits were up so I decided to hit some more balls on the range and was finally starting to hit some good shots. I can't wait until the weather gets a little better. I'm looking forward to some warmer temps tomorrow.

Hit the range up tonight, I'm a little sore from working out and it showed as I was a bit tight when making a full turn as well as a little discomfort.

Moved through the bag up and down and was seeing some good results felt like even though my swing felt off(long).
My coach stepped out demonstrated what I was doing and went back in, with the visual of me being long and dipping at the ball with my shoulder I was quickly able to fix it.

I finished out the session with driver, since swapping out the shaft to an x I have been overswinging causing huge hooks. Well tonight I just settled in on making my turn back and then releasing through and was hammering high straight bombs.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

I was able to hit the range today and also play a quick round of golf during vacation.

I didn't spend a great deal of time on the range, however I did hit about 30-50 balls w/ a few different clubs.

First, I started off working with my wedges (60* & 50*) dialing in my trajectory and distance control. I must say that ever since I have got away from taking full swings with these two clubs, my accuracy and control has been so much better. I was stopping the ball on a dime and inside a 10 ft diameter on distances of 58 and 114yds.

Next it was on to do some work with my long irons (4i & 5i). Recently I've had some issues of a large fade with these two. I attributed this to leaving the face open at impact. So today getting the face closed was my objective. I was able to cut the distance the ball moved right in half. More work to do.

Finally, I worked with the J40 driver. I have been having great success with this out on the course. Great trajectory and distance. For the most part my ball flight has been straight with some hits being a small fade. So today I worked on trying to get a little draw from the driver. Some success but not what I want to see.

Putted some.

Short game:
Worked with my 56* and different shots with a single club. I was impressed with my work (and even got the wife to hit a few). Hit about 50 different chips, flops, and runners.

Great that I had my lil ball retriever with me today.
u3a5u2yt.jpg

Swim attire and all.

Last edited:
An easy 30 minutes tonight. 1/2 swings, impact ball, blah, blah. Same thing basically. Really just focusing on two things right now (other than being smooth) and that's pushing from the right instep and keeping my backswing short. Sequencing too I guess, but that comes from the other two. Really starting to find that I'm not so timing dependent. Sequence dependent obviously, but as long as I get my lower body leading I don't have to really do anything else but turn, which just sort of happens.

Eventually down the road I'll figure out how to swing faster, but for now it's very playable. Going to hopefully get a round in this weekend.

I've come to the conclusion that there is way to much golf stuff on the internet and all it does is contradict each other (it seems). It's frustrating, and it makes it tough for a guy who is trying to get better.

I don't know where else to put this, maybe the rant thread, but it is very frustrating. I'll be ok, not looking for a pity party, just venting a bit.

Isn't that the truth. I've gotten to the point I just refuse to watch or read anything I come across like that. The only exception is for drills/thoughts I'm working on b/c sometimes it just takes a different explanation of the same thing for me to get it in my head.

Range Session tonight was horrible. First off it was 34 degree winds gusting to 20 mph. But I'm hard headed and had to go.

Wedges felt let ok, not great. Hit quite a few thin and that should of been a sign to just pack it up and go home.
Irons shots were poor, everything was shorter than expected, I was all over the face of the club. I fell back into a nasty habit of trying to force it. Started over swinging and things got ugly. Stepped away, tried to gather my thought and do some self talk about what my practice routine is al about.

came back and started again better results with the iron shots, but not great.

all in all it was a blah practice session. Time to forget it and move on to the next time I work on the swing. DAMN GAME

Yuck Kevin. Kudos for giving it a shot, but yuck!

Range Session tonight was horrible. First off it was 34 degree winds gusting to 20 mph. But I'm hard headed and had to go.

Wedges felt let ok, not great. Hit quite a few thin and that should of been a sign to just pack it up and go home.
Irons shots were poor, everything was shorter than expected, I was all over the face of the club. I fell back into a nasty habit of trying to force it. Started over swinging and things got ugly. Stepped away, tried to gather my thought and do some self talk about what my practice routine is al about.

came back and started again better results with the iron shots, but not great.

all in all it was a blah practice session. Time to forget it and move on to the next time I work on the swing. DAMN GAME

You'll have those ones for sure Kevin. Just shake it off and get back out there again.

Was planning on hitting the range after work tonight but it is chucking it down with rain here at the moment, so depending on which way the wind is blowing will make my mind up (range is covered so as long as it isn't blowing into my face then I will probably still go)

The plan was to work with my wedges to get distances dialled in a bit more - I can't work on greenside stuff as it won't be at my home club so the shortest 'green' I have to aim at is around 40yds or so and with the clubs I have with me I will be randomly changing targets to the 75 / 90 / 125yd greens as well so I am not hitting the same shot twice

What a strange session before heading to Lake Charles.

Working on a few key things that my instructor pointed out in Tuesday's lesson.

What was strange Cookie?

#, we need deets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back