Music On The Course - Straight Talk W/ Jake

I love that you've taken on such an interesting topic as your first 'straight talk' post Jake. Awesome.

Music on course can be great, but like many have suggested, I think that depends entirely on the audience and taste. I can't tell you how many times I've played in a scramble where really twangy country is being played in one of the carts, and while I don't dislike country, it was enough to make me lose focus on my shot to laugh at the crazy drawls.

For me, it's all about volume. If I can get away from the music, I'm good with it. I don't want to be jamming away on the green or on the tee box trying to tee off. I also don't care for other foursomes playing their music loud enough for three holes to hear them.

I've never played with music so I'm not sure how much I'd like it or not. But here are some of my thoughts.

If I can hear it from any group other than my own, it is probably too loud. How is this any different than someone talking or laughing loudly in a different group clearly in range while you're trying to tee off or putt?

I think its fairly pretentious to be playing music where you are being paired up with 1 or 2 players you don't know. If I was being paired by the starter with 2 dudes already playing music in their cart, even if they asked me if it was OK, I would probably feel compelled to say its not a problem whether it bothered me or not. Who needs to be put on the spot like that meeting strangers? I certainly don't want to start a round with that tension.

Also, even if I enjoyed music on the course (and its possible I do, just never done it), I don't think I would ever feel right forcing my musical taste on other people unless I knew them really well. Just like I wouldn't want to listen to 5 hours of country music or Justin Bieber, how can I be sure my music isn't annoying others out to enjoy their day?

This is such a great first salvo, Jake. You really know how to get everyone going.

Let me point out a few facts.

Fact #1: It is obvious from the responses here that some people are going to have a problem with music playing on the course, if they can hear it. I think we can all agree on that.

Fact #2: Golf etiquette dictates that any activity which disrupts or distracts another player should be avoided. The oness is on the player, and not the others on the course. Again, this is based on established and documented etiquette. So this is not really debatable either.

Given 1 and 2 above, playing music on the course that you are not positive cannot be heard by others is pretty much just letting everyone else on the course know you really don't care about their experience, or etiquette in general. I am just not sure why you would do that. And that is why I think it would be selfish.

Again, if the volume is so low that nobody else can hear it, why would anyone have a problem? They wouldn't.

If one of my playing partners insisted on playing 90's hip hop, or any hip hop for that matter, on the golf course, I'm confident in saying it would be the longest most miserable round of my life!

And just because you didn't have any complaints doesn't mean people didn't mind. Maybe, for whatever reason, they didn't feel like they should have said anything to you.

Exactly.

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for being out on a golf course, with no other sounds other than the birds tweeting in the trees and titanium hitting urethane. That to me is heaven!

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for being out on a golf course, with no other sounds other than the birds tweeting in the trees and titanium hitting urethane. That to me is heaven!

I agree Mark. That's why at first I thought the article was about headphones! I had no idea people would want to alter the peaceful nature of a golf course. I might be getting old lol.

If one of my playing partners insisted on playing 90's hip hop, or any hip hop for that matter, on the golf course, I'm confident in saying it would be the longest most miserable round of my life!

I'll take that bet. You'd have a damn blast with me buddy... Guaranteed!

Here's my problem with music on the course. Music tastes vary greatly, and even though I am a huge music lover I would not force my music on others. This article is a perfect example, the writer says nobody wants to listen to Metallica from 3 holes away, but let me crank up my 90's hip hop. Sorry, but I did not like 90's hip hop when it was new, and I still don't like it now.

Music tastes indeed vary greatly. I love and like most music, BUT not all. Hip hop? Nope. Rap? No,no,no. Every one needs to agree.

great read jake really enjoyed it looking forward to what you come up with next!

Jake, great first article in the new series! I'm a huge music on the course fan. I keep it to just loud enough to hear in the cart/on my bag but it keeps me from thinking to hard about my game and staying relaxed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jake, great first article in the new series! I'm a huge music on the course fan. I keep it to just loud enough to hear in the cart/on my bag but it keeps me from thinking to hard about my game and staying relaxed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I do the same generally speaking. In Dallas however... It got loud! We were having just a little bit of fun perhaps!! Zero complaints mind you.

First of all, Jake, this was a very well written article and has obviously hit the intended target and spurred some good discussion.

I'm very indifferent on this topic. I would personally not initiate the music being played, but I don't necessarily mind if others want it on within some reason.

Some people will find it rude if I were to wear headphone ear buds while I play. Would feel like I don't want to talk to them. Plus how would I hear someone yell "Fore" with ear buds in.I like listening to music while I play. Will my playing partners like all my songs, no. Can I control which songs from a genre pandora plays, no. Jake is right it's a gray area when it comes to people and their music tastes. If it's a round that is important or worth something, then no music for me.

Great topic Jake! I love your passion about it. I prefer to play with music also. Can't wait to read your next column.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

I know from my amphibian friend that the best shots happen when Journey rocks on.

Awesome Jake, love seeing you back in the mix and couldn't agree more!

I knew Jake couldn't stay away, great first article. I have caught the casual round music but when with friends but I still prefer the sounds of the course when I am by myself.

The one thing that drives me crazy around here is Sundays in the fall when every group feels the need to have the Vikings game on for everyone on the course to hear, turn that mess down they aren't ever going to win the Super Bowl!

Music On The Course - Straight Talk W/ Jake

I'll take that bet. You'd have a damn blast with me buddy... Guaranteed!

You know what, I probably would. But no hip hop please!!!! Maybe I could talk you into some classic 80's big hair rock instead? :)

Great first column buddy and a perfect topic for you....in fact the first time I heard of music on the golf course it came from you.

Now I have gone and bought my own clicgear to walk rounds and the first item I added to it was a bluetooth speaker for some tunes.

I am a convert.

You know what, I probably would. But no hip hop please!!!! Maybe I could talk you into some classic 80's big hair rock instead? :)
Dude.....I'd blow you away with my knowledge of the lyrics to those songs! I grew up on 80's hair bands!!!

I've had so much fun with this first article boys, thanks so much for all the feedback and the support. I can't wait to get another one posted!

Dude.....I'd blow you away with my knowledge of the lyrics to those songs! I grew up on 80's hair bands!!!

I've had so much fun with this first article boys, thanks so much for all the feedback and the support. I can't wait to get another one posted!

Which is funny because...well....

Nevermind. :alien:

I would pay lots of dollars to see that.

I would pay lots of dollars to see that.
I'm sure you would. Here's a tease.....I think I was in 8th grade here. This was sort of post mullet but still very much a fan of 80's hair bands.

2620_56949033699_2132927_n.jpg

Edit: The Mexican dude behind me....wicked mullet. I'm the chubby white kid in the pic.

I think music is fun during informal buddy rounds. Make my wife have more fun.

Back