• Yes, but I wont go any higher than $400

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you found a driver that flat out worked for you, better than any other you had tried, you would pay a premium for it? Lets go with the assumption that the price would NOT drop for a period of 12 months.

If the budget would allow it sure.

Re: If a Driver Flat Out Worked For You

I think price is not an object. I mean golf is not a cheap sport to play and you know that going into playing. It's also human nature to want to g be great or good at things more so in competition. So if I could go buy a driver tomorrow @ 400 or 500 and it gave me more distance and more accuracy, it would look like I'm cancelling my hunting trip

I know how I am- once I get something stuck in my head the only issue then becomes how will I justify this purchase, once that is done the deal is done.

I am pretty happy with my current driver, and the shots that go wild I know are my fault, not the driver. While I agree that a certain driver will "fit" you better, I also do not (mostly) buy anything off the shelf at a premium price. I can wait until prices drop. I waited until the R9 460 reached $200 before buying new, and waited until my Odyssey putter hit $72 before pulling the trigger...

I have a driver that works well for me right now, so if I found one that's better I could wait another year until price drops. I'm a fussbudget though...

If it worked for me and didn't have any misses or bad shots....most definitely!!

Is there one like that around?!?! :D

Seems like you're ok with waiting so maybe waiting is the best bet?

I'd wait for the price to drop.

I generally don't have too much trouble with the driver - any driver - and while it's an important club, it's not THE club. There are many other ways to play well besides hitting perfect shots with a driver.

-JP

I would wait for sure, dont have the money to buy a new driver brand new.

If it "flat out " worked for me, better than anything I had used before, I would most likely buy it, after a thorough trial period. I would want to make sure it worked for me. That said, I would not pay more than $400 for it. If it cost more than $400, then I would pick it up later when the price was more reasonable.

New Driver!! Where

New Driver!! Where

I have bought a new driver more than once :wink: It is a hobby of mine to try new drivers. I don't fish or hunt so I spent my play money on new drivers. I am more apt to stay with my irons for a few years. Being a driver Ho is hard work :D

I think it would depend on how much better it was than my current driver... and it's actual cost and how much the price would drop after 12 months... Who am I kidding just give me the dang thing now!!! That's what credit is for right?

At this point in my life and my game I would say no. After my kid(s) are grown and I have more disposable income I might though.

Simple question with a simple answer. Yes. You guys are thinking about it too much.

I know me and I'd buy the thing. If it works, I have to have it. I would certainly test, test, test to make sure the premium was justified, but would still do the deal if all checked out.

Depends what you mean by premium. At 200-300 a driver that really worked would be in my bag. At 300-500 I would be waiting for the price to drop. At over 500 I would not even be looking at it.

Simple question with a simple answer. Yes. You guys are thinking about it too much.

No thinking here.

If it's there 12 months from now, I'll buy it.

If not, then I won't.

It really wouldn't be that important to me. :confused2:

-JP

I most definatley would:

Last April I went up to the local Golf store with the intention of maybe finding a 1 year used driver the was still in great shape spending about 150-200 on it max. I started hitting different drivers and it came down to a cobra and the R9. Although the cobra was less expenses I shelled out the big bucks for the brand new R9 because i was so much more consitant with it and I was cruching the ball.

If it works than buy it, no sense in getting cheap on the clubs and then spending money to golf if your not going to golf at your best!

I have one that works now so I would wait until the price dropped. One more year won't bother me.

I have gone over $400, but I do care how much it would cost, so none of the above would be my answer. That said, you would have to come up with something pretty amazing to get my current stick out of the bag--909D3/76g, UST Proforce V2.

I think it boils down to what one person's value of a dollar is versus some one else's. I think if a a person were to ask them self "would this $400 I am going to spend on this driver be better well spent some where else in my life", if answered truthfully, there would be fewer drivers sold.

Well, this is similar to how I bought my R7.

A guy I played a round with had an R7 425TP driver and he let me hit some drives with it and I loved it. He had a very stiff Diamana shaft in it which was too "boardy" for me , but I reasoned that the same head with a V2 shaft would be perfect for me.

So I get home and look up an R7 425TP and I was stunned by it's $700 price tag!

What I did though was to wait until the end of its model year (I don't remember specifically, but it was a couple of years ago) and I started fishing around online for it. I found it at a place I've used before listed as "pre-owned" and in "mint" condition for just $285 sans weight kit.

I bought it with "any" shaft (because I knew I was going to install a V2) and it arrived in its original packaging, complete with cellophane wrap and indeed in "mint" condition without a mark or fingerprint on it. So I pulled the original shaft and installed the V2 and I also switched out 2 weights (they were sold individually at Golfsmith) and Voila! A brand new custom driver!

All told, the club, shaft, weights and a new grip all came to around $400 which was a far cry from the $700 "same year" street price - without the V2 shaft - and I end up with exactly what I wanted. :thumb:

There are plenty of bargains to be had out there if you're willing to just wait for the "new" to wear off.

-JP

I could wait and work on the other parts of my game.

Back