The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

How many of you have taken this to heart and completed this task? I know some have not and I truly hope you jump in and try to do this.

As soon as some course open up I'll be taking the challenge. The PGA Pro I'm taking lessons with actually just switched to a new course I've never played on the area for this year. Makes this challenge a fun one and extremely easy to complete!

Completed on multiple occassions. I tried to get as much outdoor course actions as I could the last two weeks. It allowed me to gear where my winter prep has taken me. Great challenge and did not feel discouraged if the numbers sent were high.

How many of you have taken this to heart and completed this task? I know some have not and I truly hope you jump in and try to do this.

Will be doing this tomorrow with a group of THPers

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

With the weather starting to break, there aren't many excuses left to give for why it hasn't been done.

With the weather starting to break, there aren't many excuses left to give for why it hasn't been done.

#EasyToSayInTheSouth

Most courses still not open yet in Northern US lol

I did this on Sunday, task completed baby!

#EasyToSayInTheSouth

Most courses still not open yet in Northern US lol
I have four scores, two each from the Hilton Head and Lake Charles invitationals. If not for that, I'd have nothing.

Still no courses open here.

Didn't stop some of the northern boys. We travel :)

FIFY

Yep. I went to FL to complete it. #AllIHearAreExcuses441 :alien:

I know several of my guys have done this. I made three of us do it on Sunday.

Got my score in from the Friday round in Dallas. Was the first time out and the score sucked, but have a good list of things to work on and a lot of motivation to make sure I don't score that high again.

FIFY

Yep. I went to FL to complete it. #AllIHearAreExcuses441 :alien:

Yeah I did that already-3 rounds

And Hilton Head-3 rounds

And now Ohio .5 rounds

Whats up

I was actually looking to find this post. Played a course last Friday in some pretty bad conditions but its a course I have only played 1 time. Put up a 97. 31 putts and quite a few good iron shots had me come away extremely pleased. That may sound weird but last year I struggled with my irons tremendously and it was the best part of my game with my putting during that round. Course has ALOT of sand and I found alot of it on the front. I need to work really hard on my sand game because it cost me a good 7-8 strokes during that round. Played match play straight up with Buckjob who is a better golfer than me but I wanted the challenge. Was down 1 through 7 and then he started making birdies to my pars and bogeys and I ended up losing 6 and 4. Picked up some good match play tips from him as well. Overall, it was a good, encouraging experience. Have another round Saturday scheduled for a course I have never played either.

Will be doing this tomorrow with a group of THPers

This sounds like fun. I think I'll participate as well.

#Boom

I was actually looking to find this post. Played a course last Friday in some pretty bad conditions but its a course I have only played 1 time. Put up a 97. 31 putts and quite a few good iron shots had me come away extremely pleased. That may sound weird but last year I struggled with my irons tremendously and it was the best part of my game with my putting during that round. Course has ALOT of sand and I found alot of it on the front. I need to work really hard on my sand game because it cost me a good 7-8 strokes during that round. Played match play straight up with Buckjob who is a better golfer than me but I wanted the challenge. Was down 1 through 7 and then he started making birdies to my pars and bogeys and I ended up losing 6 and 4. Picked up some good match play tips from him as well. Overall, it was a good, encouraging experience. Have another round Saturday scheduled for a course I have never played either.

One thing that is very important to note is that we often hear about "I have to make my sand play better". The truth is its twofold, yes, people do becuase there is lots of it. But if you are finding the sand, its also because ball striking was off. Whether that be just one of those rounds, or part of the lessons one is taking, or so on, its definitely something to consider.

There is no question that people are just getting into the swing of things on the course, but there is still PLENTY of time to make major changes if one wants to. It will involve some sacrifice and maybe a few less rounds and more practicing, but it can be done.

One thing that is very important to note is that we often hear about "I have to make my sand play better". The truth is its twofold, yes, people do becuase there is lots of it. But if you are finding the sand, its also because ball striking was off. Whether that be just one of those rounds, or part of the lessons one is taking, or so on, its definitely something to consider.

There is no question that people are just getting into the swing of things on the course, but there is still PLENTY of time to make major changes if one wants to. It will involve some sacrifice and maybe a few less rounds and more practicing, but it can be done.

Absolutely. I will chalk some of the sand adventures up to having trouble off the tee. I hate to use an excuse but I have a fractured finger and was having back spasms. I medicated up but the only time it really hurt was with the driver. Probably should have not hit it as much but I guess I was trying to keep up with Buck. My tee game is usually pretty consistent. Saturday will be a good test for me on a course that I have never played but has tight fairways so I need to manage the course and be more accurate with my tee shots. I am definitely planning on getting at LEAST a lesson and 3 practice sessions in before hitting the course. I want to make changes and I want to get better. I dont see myself doing that by just going out and playing. I am going to call and schedule another lesson tonight for next week so I can take what I have learned in my first 2 rounds with me and we can see where I am at and what I need to improve on.

Up until the last week or so, the bolded is something I really didn't understand about this process of making swing changes via lessons. I always knew that the course wasn't a good place to work on changes, but in an effort to get my handicap established, I had been playing more than I was practicing. I know I will be adjusting this back the other direction over the next several weeks in an effort to let my lesson work start taking hold of my golf muscles.

Up until the last week or so, the bolded is something I really didn't understand about this process of making swing changes via lessons. I always knew that the course wasn't a good place to work on changes, but in an effort to get my handicap established, I had been playing more than I was practicing. I know I will be adjusting this back the other direction over the next several weeks in an effort to let my lesson work start taking hold of my golf muscles.

One thing that I really learned during these Morgan Cups is how much lessons help make practice fun for me. I usually get a lesson every Tuesday night during the season, and then spend Weds and Thursday practicing on the range. Friday is normal golf nigh with Jenn, where I will practice some things. Sat/Sun I play golf. Monday is usually a mix of range practice and then I will go out and play 5 holes or so(which I count as practice because I really don't play).

More practice and less play for me. July will be here faster than we know and I've a long way to go.

Done..........

One thing that I really learned during these Morgan Cups is how much lessons help make practice fun for me. I usually get a lesson every Tuesday night during the season, and then spend Weds and Thursday practicing on the range. Friday is normal golf nigh with Jenn, where I will practice some things. Sat/Sun I play golf. Monday is usually a mix of range practice and then I will go out and play 5 holes or so(which I count as practice because I really don't play).

Agree with this 100%. As I have shown progress I just want to keep practicing.

I know I've had a few messages from my guys about this. It's a tough task to go out and play a course that's new and hard, but something that we could all really benefit from. That goes double for guys who haven't been to TB or Caledonia yet. Could pay huge dividends in July.

For me, I'll be doing this a few times next week. I'm going to push myself to play similar tee boxes that we've seen during previous Morgan Cups to see where I stack up and what I need to improve on early in the season. I'm excited for it.

I have done this with two courses so far and one me and parshooter have never played before. It's awesome to talk with my captain Canadan and assistant Captain dcbrad about how I played there and and how I can improve. By the way thanks guys!!!!

Back