TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

What do you attribute that to bhillin? Meaning why do you think its so easy to square to the hole?

Last edited:
It just looks like it's really easy to line up. There's enough going on at the back of the blade that it seems like it'd be easy to set up square to it or you'll know you're not aimed where you want to be. It's almost like the opening at the back, along with the alignment aids in the center, really help give a "line effect". That makes a bit of sense to me as to why people are having a lot of ease with this putter within 5 feet. I would imagine it's hard to make a stroke that sucks the blade to the inside when you look down at that.

Any update on this?

Josh I was gaming a SeeMore Si2 prior to beginning the Spider Si testing. I kept it in the bag up until this past weekend, kind of as a security blanket, should the putting and feel of the Spider Si go south. After three weeks of seeing my putting improve, which can be correlated to my putting practice as well as to the Spider Si. I even did a test run and rolled a few putts with the SeeMore again and distance control and my misses seemed to be greater. Now don't get me wrong, I believe in the SPI method and hide the dot methodology. For me I felt it was easier to keep the putter head square at impact.

I have to agree with bhill in regards to the squaring up to the hole. The alignment aids as well as the design of the putter head create a simplistic way to the set up.

More to come in regards to testing against a counter-balance putter done today.

What do you attribute that to bhillin? Meaning why do you think its so easy to square to the hole?

That's a good question and one I spent a little mental energy thinking about as I finished up my 9 holes tonight before replying. For me it's all about visualizing. I'm a visual person... I learn visually, make swing corrections by visualizing it and my swing thoughts are a visualization of what I want my body or club to do as opposed to a feel or straight mechanics.

As I think about putters in general, there are a large number of styles to help align the face to ones line. There are one, two, three lines behind the face, two balls, variety of colors going either perpendicular or parallel to the line... or no markings at all. For me, I have always preferred 2 line's on a mallet head. I can't say why, I've tried and owned a variety of styles but the 2 lines simply work for my eye.

The Spider Si combines multiple methods in their design. There is the black face / top with the white outside. There are the 3 lines directly behind the ball. There is the gap in the rear the size of a ball set apart from the face. I can say I've never been a fan of the 2-ball style visually but think the gap in the back does a similar thing in helping alignment for me. With all these methods of alignment in one putter, they pull it off without being too busy or distracting in my opinion.

When I address the put and place the putter down on my line I am aligning the 3 lines pointing to an intermediary target; I am also aligning the back spacing with my ball. I see it much the same as sights on a firearm... longer apart they are the more accurate you will be. The other point of visualization for me is in the first 3 inches of my take away. I tend to get my hands outside the ball in my take away in my putting. With this putter I keep the gap in the back aligned with the ball in the first couple inches of my take away to ensure I stay on line... which for me and my swing has been probably the biggest advantage of this putter as opposed to others.
DSC00413.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In today's round I had only 1 putt less than 10 feet from the hole on my first putt. (yup, need to work on the wedges) For me, this putter is deadly within 10 feet. This is the distance that a simple effortless rock of the shoulders will give me. When I'm putting the 20+ footers when more effort in the stroke is required I am still struggling with my speed. Much of my work to this point with this putter has been within 10 feet between the practice green and my practice green in the house. I plan on doing more work with speed control from the 20+ feet and lag putting. I plan to get a couple more 9-hole rounds in this week and this putter will remain in the bag. If I had to change anything about the putter at this point, I'd rather have 2 lines instead of the 3... that's just me and what I'm use too... and be center shafted. The offset shaft has taken some getting used to after using only center shafted putters for the last few years.

This putter won't be for everybody visually, but does have a lot to offer in it's design. It's well thought out and does well at it's intended task.

It just looks like it's really easy to line up. There's enough going on at the back of the blade that it seems like it'd be easy to set up square to it or you'll know you're not aimed where you want to be. It's almost like the opening at the back, along with the alignment aids in the center, really help give a "line effect". That makes a bit of sense to me as to why people are having a lot of ease with this putter within 5 feet. I would imagine it's hard to make a stroke that sucks the blade to the inside when you look down at that.

You've got some great points there Mward. For me, it is a very easy putter to line up. When I line the putt up with the Spider Si, I do see that "line effect" you mentioned. I also think the counterbalance does help a lot with taking the club back on line and really helps when going through the ball. I can tend to take a putter back too far inside sometimes and forcing the "swinging door stroke". I have yet to see that with the Ghost Si.

Great info bhillin. Thank you so much.

Thanks for the update bhillin. Great info and really like the input regarding alignment

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

The Spider Si was in play today, and I had intended on playing it for 9 holes and then switching at the turn to get some thoughts going on why I like certain aspects of this putter, but then the Spider got hot and I didnt dare take it out of play.

I had a 3jack on the second hole that was not as bad as it seems, considering I was about 90 feet away and left my putt about 15 feet out to the right after a bad read on the green. After 5 putts on the first 2 holes, I finished the round with only 25 more, for a total of 30. 4 straight 1 putts on the back 9 really helped my score, as it was 2 made birdie putts and 2 up and downs to save par.

What I find with the Spider Si is that on the putts inside 5-6 feet, they just seem automatic. I set up, pull the trigger and putt, just seems effortless with the way this one sets up at address for me. Outside of that range, my putts are still pretty good, and even drained a few in that 15 foot range today that had me pretty pumped up.

One hole I think back to was the 4th hole, a Par 3 with a large green. I was literally on the last blade of grass on the back of the green staring clear across the green to the front pin location that I flew over on my tee shot. I was hoping for a miracle lag, and after a pretty good read I hit a very good downhill putt. I was left with a 2 foot putt for a par, with what most would look at as a sure 3jack. Being able to lag that putt close for an easy par putt was huge, and really had me feeling even more confident in the Spider Si.

This is playing at 35", and for me I think the heavier/CB style putters play a bit better for me at this length. Having played them at 38" and 39", I find that the traditional length for me coupled with the heavier weight is just a solid setup. I come through my stroke with a square face, and all I have to focus on is speed and my line. Taking the "shakey" putter face out of the equation is huge for me, and just really helps my overall game on the green.

I loved the DLL last year, but the Spider Si is just that much better. From the way it sets up at address to the way it rolls the ball, it just works.

Uh oh! I was reading through all the posts here thinking that this putter was very similar to the DLL, which I am still gaming and love. This little comment now has me in full ponder mode. If this Spider Si is even better than the DLL, I must have one. I'll be trying it out on my next trip down to the PGA SS for sure.

[/B]

Uh oh! I was reading through all the posts here thinking that this putter was very similar to the DLL, which I am still gaming and love. This little comment now has me in full ponder mode. If this Spider Si is even better than the DLL, I must have one. I'll be trying it out on my next trip down to the PGA SS for sure.

V.man I know we only got to play the ones round together, but you rolled your DLL really well, I definitely think you would really like the feel and alignment of this putter.

Using Tapatalk

How does the face balance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How does the face balance?

traditionally the face is balanced to the sky; that being said you may want to check this out.

Yeah I guess I meant how's the toe hang?

[/B]

It really should make you ponder, v.man.

While the DLL is very good, and a putter that I enjoyed great success with, this one just seems to be a bit improved. While it's still large, it just sets up less bulky to me, and the alignment contrast of the black/white is done very well.

My local stores need to get this in stat. I love my putter but I wonder about cb and the forgiveness this brings.

Any updates from the testers?

I have some notes to go over, and will have more to add tomorrow.

Have any of you guys gamed previous Spider models? Thoughts on those compared to the new design in the Spider Si?

Got 9 in today after work to get some more playing time with the Si and give everybody some more feedback... but realized on the first tee box I'd left my putter at home on the practice green from last night. :banghead: #PutterTesterFail

I can say with a high level of confidence that this putter is way more stable and sets up much better than putting with a 6 iron on the greens. At least the bag was a little lighter to carry around the course today. Looks like rain tomorrow so plan to have this back out on the course Friday and Sat this week, I need to spend more time working on lag putts with this to truly be effective on the green, but confidence on 10ft and less is pretty high for me right now.

Have any of you guys gamed previous Spider models? Thoughts on those compared to the new design in the Spider Si?

This is my first time actually gaming a Taylormade Putter. I'm really glad that this is my first experience with a TM putter, because if it hadn't been as positive as it has been, I would probably not consider TM for future putters.

I can say with a high level of confidence that this putter is way more stable and sets up much better than putting with a 6 iron on the greens. At least the bag was a little lighter to carry around the course today.

Just want to reinforce the feeling of stability with this putter. The feeling of stability doesn't change whether it's a 1 footer tap in to a 30 ft uphill putt. I feel comfortable in any situation and I just have to rely on my stroke.

More thoughts to come tomorrow night.

Last edited:

I have not. Outside of Odyssey and SeeMore I haven't had any action with a TM putter.

I have some notes I need to type of my comparison.

I've never gamed any of the previous models outside of the stores putting greens. I do prefer the appearance and size of the Si... just seems less bulky or boxy to me. Granted it's just a visual preference thing, but looking at both side by side I prefer the Si based on looks alone. I haven't spent enough time with the previous models to really compare performance.

BG - not a tester - however

I had a Monza spider and a ghost spider. I really want to get these in stores up here. Because I love the covert.

The Spider mallet is such an awesome headshape, and I love the unique sightline they incorporated into it.

Sadly, I haven't even had a chance to roll the new Spider Si, something I hope I can change very soon.

I can't help but look at this putter in photos and think it frames the ball SOOOO well. For those making the transition from a different head, how much has this head design improve or degrade your experiences when aligning the ball with your target line? Increased confidence?

Also, if you're new to Pure Roll, can you give me your thoughts on that as well?

Last edited:
TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

I can't help but look at this putter in photos and think it frames the ball SOOOO well. For those making the transition from a different head, how much has this head design improve or degrade your experiences when aligning the ball with your target line? Increased confidence?

Also, if you're new to True roll, can you give me your thoughts on that as well?

Dan, prior to testing the SpiderSi I gamed SeeMore Si2. For me when I first looked at the Spider Si I was a little taken back by it. I think it was during my second round that I was awe struck by the improvement I received from the easy of framing the ball to my line. The putts just started dropping. I think bhillin said it best about the head design. I have also gamed a two-ball Odyssey in the past, which I just finished up some testing between the two. I was surprised just how far my alignment was between the two. The Spider Si just is SO simple.

As far as the Pure Roll insert I am new too it. The sound as far as I can distinguish is similar to my SeeMore. The ball just starts rolling off the face. Another plus!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Back