Bobby Jones Black Driver - THP Preview

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
While Hawk has offered some great information on the Bobby Jones Blackbird fairway and hybrid, I have the opportunity to review the Blackbird Driver. The 10.5 degree head paired with the Graphite Design G-Series shaft will be my focus.

Bobby Jones Jesse Ortiz Drivers

The 460 cc pear shaped driver features a new face material while keeping the hot cup-face design. Last year’s model was too loud for most tastes, so I changed to a denser grained Ti material that produces a more pleasing sound and feel. The cup-face design produces lower spin but maintains a high ball velocity off the face for the highest CT allowed. Spin rates are consistently in the 2500 rpm range, or below, with a launch angle a bit lower than most drivers. For this reason I recommend the 10.5 or 12 degree models for most players.

The sleek, aerodynamic slope of the crown increases clubhead speed and presents a very appealing look at the address position. The slim, superlight, adjustable titanium hosel is designed for a clean look, unlike most fat, clumsy offerings, and provides options of square, one degree closed or two degrees closed face angles. I don’t believe adding weight in the hosel area enhances performance, so I stay away from too many adjustment options.

The cup-face is laser welded to the 6-4 cast ti body. I will provide drawings and dimensions of the cup-face at a later date. The new, jet black, satin finish is worthy of a Ferrari; the iridescent red crown decals that frame the head and offer alignment, give the club a jewel-like elegance. The traditional shape in a high-tech package will be among the most eye appealing drivers you’ll see.

Lofts are 9 degrees, 10.5 degree and OLA (12 degrees) The standard shaft offering is Graphite Design’s G-Series shafts. These shafts are used throughout the line of drivers, fairway woods and hybrids and in stiff, regular and senior flexes.

ClubSpecifications-Drivers.jpg

In hand Pictures

20140417_142806-L.jpg

20140417_143136-L.jpg

20140417_143125-L.jpg

20140417_143005-L.jpg

20140417_142901-L.jpg

20140417_143217-L.jpg

20140417_143529-L.jpg

20140417_143620-L.jpg

20140417_143642-L.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a huuuuge face. Maybe its just the image. Curious to hear your thoughts on this one.

Great pics Dan. Hit this a few times over the weekend. Some differences in feel/sound from the other metalwoods, but seemed to perform pretty well. Looking forward to following your experience!

This should be interesting. Nice to see the stock length at a manageable 45". As with the others in this line I think it looks great and the headcovers are icing on the cake.

If its half as good as the early feedback on the 3W/Hybo it will be another winner

Love seeing the 13* loft option too

Dan, is that shaft a stiff flex?

This should be interesting. Nice to see the stock length at a manageable 45". As with the others in this line I think it looks great and the headcovers are icing on the cake.

I had a hard time not putting up more headcover photos. I am generally not one to fall over the old school stitch designs, but in hand, it's very impressive.

20140417_143546-L.jpg

If its half as good as the early feedback on the 3W/Hybo it will be another winner

Love seeing the 13* loft option too

Dan, is that shaft a stiff flex?

It's the G 40 which is a 52 gram stiff shaft. Mid spin, mid launch, and mid kick point.

I think it's a nice compliment in weighting to the overall headshape and swing weight.

It certainly looks to have a unique shape to it. And those headcovers are SICK.

I know it's small details, but the matte finish looks great, and what an amazing headcover!

Boy this looks fantastic. Matte head with the glossy sleek finish on the sole contrast nicely.

45" at stock length? Yes please!

And the headcover looks amazing. We know what price is looking like?

I like the looks of this one along with the entire line. The matte look is always a good way to go. The headcover looks very classy. Good to see the length of this one is 45". I'm interested to hear how the lighter shaft works for you Dan.

Love that matte black finish, and I am a sucker for classic looking headcovers. Looking forward to hearing about how you hit this, Dan.

Just a heads up to those following along with this one.
I should have informed Canadan prior.
Right now this driver is called Blackbird, but the stock coming in right now is called Bobby Jones Black.

Looking forward to some Canadan feedback on this one.

That is a pretty club right there. I love the headcover too.

Check out the power button as the alignment on top. Definitely has a Ferrari red/black look to it. Looking forward to your thoughts, Dan!

Love that matte black finish on that driver. Interesting to see he saw there was a sound and feel issue in the previous model and made a move to improve it.

It's a nice looking package. Checked out their website and it appears to have a strange shape from the toe to the back of the club.

Great looking club. The matte finish on the crown surprised me after seeing the beautiful sole. Look forward to hearing how this performs for you Dan.

Definitely a good looking club. Crown looks very long, very sleek. The matte finish and simple graphics go really well together. I'd love to give this thing a go.

Check out the power button as the alignment on top. Definitely has a Ferrari red/black look to it. Looking forward to your thoughts, Dan!

Subtle but unique with the sight 'power button'. I really like that (bit of a gamer homer).

The red lines are narrow enough that they aren't obtrusive at address, just a nice addition.

Good looking club. Especially the matte black finish and the headcover is killer I'd love one of those.

cant wait to read feelings on this, if it's similar in performance to what hawk is seeing in the 3w

Thats one bad a$$ looking driver! The matte finish with the polished sole....damn right that's sexy. I like how the trailing edge of this looks too. That step from the sole up and into a more aerodynamic shape is cool. Jesse obviously put his mind to work on this beauty. Can't wait to here your feedback on this one. And I totally agree...the head cover is sharp! Complete package for sure

Jesse Ortiz has produced some excellent clubs in the past. I look forward to your thoughts on this driver.

Back