golf red

Bad Amateur
Reaction score
Handicap
17 NCGA
Anyone else change putters for fast greens versus slower greens?

I personally have never been a believer in it, but I know a lot of guys who really do.

Moved this one over to the putter section.
I do not change. I like to think of my putter as something I can rely on and changing that up would screw me up royally.

No changes here, I got 1 and rock it everywhere

I do not, but I could see the logic behind it.

I've heard of people who do this, but for myself I like having my putter be consistent weight etc. whether fast or slow greens.

I won't change for green speeds. I usually will change just for the sake of variety.

Not me.

What is the theory here? Faster greens = heavier putter? And the reverse for slower greens? I played in two leagues last year, at two different courses, where on Tuesday nights it was like putting on velcro and Thursday nights like putting downhill on the driveway. I never changed putters, but I am curious to see if anyone who does/would've has seen any success with it.

I do not. I pick one putter and stick with it.

What is the theory here? Faster greens = heavier putter? And the reverse for slower greens? I played in two leagues last year, at two different courses, where on Tuesday nights it was like putting on velcro and Thursday nights like putting downhill on the driveway. I never changed putters, but I am curious to see if anyone who does/would've has seen any success with it.

I was thinking more along the lines of different inserts, but I suppose different weights could have the same effect

Cant say that I have for speed of greens, but I switch my putter out almost weekly sometimes. Just tepends on what I feel like playing that round.

There's a low handicapper at my course who does this, and it works very well for him. I can barely use one putter, so it isn't for me.
I think the idea is that his stroke will remain more or less the same for the same distance. Seems like voodoo to me, but he shoots under par at times so there's something to it for him.

The way he hits wedges, he could probably use a croquet mallet without issues.

I don't but like people have said, I can see the logic behind the question.

Several of the newer putters like the MXM series from Odyssey have adjustable weight sets, so in theory you could adjust the weight of the head to match green speeds.

No changes for me. I find that is harder to stay consistent when I switch putters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

If I need to slow a putt down, I hit it on the toe. Usually on downhill putts.

I do this a bit. Big difference in green speeds between the courses I play. If I don't have a feel with one or the other then ill use one exclusively.

My putter is designed to allow you to swap out the insert (and back weights) depending on the green conditions. I have found however that I am much more comfortable with the softest insert, so I don't change up for the most part.

I pretty much stay with what works for me until a change is needed. When a change is needed, its not because of green speed. :act-up: Its because the honeymoon is OVER and she has got to go!

JM

I change only when one needs a "time out" for misbehavior.....

I don't change putters due to green speed. I suppose in theory it could help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't because I would want as much consistency as possible. However, I could see how switching between the same model with a different insert might be beneficial for some.

I use a SeeMore on all green types. Of course, I don't own anything else... Do not change between the 7 models for faster or slower greens. Like blu said earlier, I just change for the sake of variety.

Back