Wilson Staff FG Tour Traction Control Black Wedges - THP Preview

Wilson Staff FG Tour Traction Control Black Wedges - THP Preview

Good info here Dan? sharp looking irons for sure ! The last Wilson irons I tried was a couple of years ago at a THP demo day. I need to follow their products more because they really put out some awesome stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the look of it. That finish just screams little glare when played on a sunny day.

The grind on the 56-11, is that pretty similar to the grind they had last year?

Love the looks but not a fan of the placement/look of the "traction control"

Agree with jb that it does sort of look like the CG logo.

I like the look of these.

Gorgeous wedges from Wilson, and like the sole design options.

Good feedback Andy, thanks. It did surprise me, but it was notably thin. I've always played a higher wedge approach to land soft and stop, but I am quite curious to find how just how much action the FG Tours can impart on golf balls. Green side, you could really see the ball bite.

For sure, the little chip on 8 really bit hard before settling a few inches short of the hole. I'll have to work on that shot next time at the range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Love the look of it. That finish just screams little glare when played on a sunny day.

The grind on the 56-11, is that pretty similar to the grind they had last year?

You should share the photos of your 2013 wedges for reference, my friend. I enjoyed them.

In for review are the Wilson FG Tour Traction Control black wedges. I will be able to provide feedback on both the traditional and tour sole designs, both in 56* for a solid side by side comparison of benefits. I tend to be a bit more shallow in my wedges and love to manipulate my higher degree wedges near the green, leaving me favoring the tour sole on paper, however, I have typically used a more traditional wedge in my playing history.

From Wilson Golf

SLEEK BLACK FINISH

The murdered out black finish reduces glare at address and provides a sleek, modern look.

TWO UNIQUE SOLE DESIGNS

The Traditional sole features optimal width and camber for a player with a medium to steep swing.

The Tour Grind sole features a thinner effective sole width for players with a medium to shallow angle of attack and is geared for players with shot variety around the green.

SPIN-ENHANCING FACE TECHNOLOGY

The proprietary Tour-Y groove design and 11 laser-etched micro-spin enhancers between each scoreline support maximum spin on both full and partial shots. Both grooves and lines stand near the USGA maximum for surface roughness.

VERSATILITY

Two sole options and nine different loft/bounce combinations exist; thus, a choice of 35 unique loft/bounce/sole configurations can be achieved through custom fitting.

In Hand Photos

20140430_152827-XL.jpg

20140430_152243-XL.jpg

20140430_152303-XL.jpg

20140430_152254-XL.jpg

20140430_152955-XL.jpg

20140430_153008-XL.jpg

20140430_153025-XL.jpg

20140430_153112-XL.jpg
this look damn good and they look like they impart some serious spin.

These wedges are absolutely stunning.

I freaking loooooove the look of these. I came close twice last year to pulling the trigger on the satin ones, the black though, talk about a looker.

These look absolutely fantastic.

Are the spin enhancing surface grooves designed to wear fast, similar to the MD2 wedges?

These look absolutely fantastic.

Are the spin enhancing surface grooves designed to wear fast, similar to the MD2 wedges?

I would think so every wedge that i have had with this micro surfacing always wore a bit

Those are some great looking irons, and your pics Dan brings the best out of them. Excuse my dumbness but which is which? Is that the tour grind on the left of the second picture? Thanks

Wow I really like these. Wilson is really unrated. These are head turners for sure!

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your thought, Dan. Those wedges look nice.

Did Wilson really describe them as "murdered out"?

Looking forward to your thought, Dan. Those wedges look nice.

Did Wilson really describe them as "murdered out"?

I was wondering the same thing. That would be a bit odd.

Anyway, they look great and look they are begging to opened up for some flop shots. Glad to the hear the stock shaft pairing is a good fit too.

Very sexy wedges! Looking forward to reading more bout them.

Dan how thick is the sole compared to some?

Good looking wedges.

Did they take a note from SCOR and add the circles to the grip for purposes of choking down?

Murdered out description from an OEM is funny...but I like it since that what us as consumers often call this look.

That's just a Lamkin thing Cookie. You can buy them aftermarket too.

Look good Dan. The Tour sole is definitely interesting to me, though I'm sort of over wedges right now lol. #lotsofoptions

Those definitely look sweet. Looks like I could do some damage with those

Those are some great looking irons, and your pics Dan brings the best out of them. Excuse my dumbness but which is which? Is that the tour grind on the left of the second picture? Thanks

The Tour

20140430_152402-L.jpg

The Traditional

20140430_152355-L.jpg

Dan how thick is the sole compared to some?

I think like most wedges, they are comparable to one another. Sole depth is what you would expect out of a tour series wedge.

If you'd like, I can give you raw numbers.

Sweet looking wedges, I'd love to give these a "Spin". Nice to see WS join in on the micro groove crave, even though I don't think it really does anything but look good.

Back