The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting practice tonight with this contraption called Inside Down the Line. My instructor recommended this as I have an outside to in stroke and cutting across the ball. Feels weird but thats a good thing. Hope this helps!

emepepy4.jpg

Hit 300 balls today, trying to work out a glitch that worked it's way in over the winter. Got it figured out after a hundred balls or so and went on to some driver/shaft testing.

Alpha and X2 Hot with Kiyoshi Purple and Gold in each head as well as the Bio Cell+ with the stock Ozik Red Tie. I liked the Alpha/Purple and the X2 Hot Pro/Gold. The Bio Cell+ was a very different feeling driver, good results though.

35hk0aq.jpg

Was nice to just go play for once since I've spent all my weekdays practicing for the last four months. Got some things to work on after my round. A few instances of pushing half swings, which is a shot I rely on. Just started really working on that shot in the last few weeks, but it's one I think I can iron out quickly based on the past. Also working on iron accuracy. I've not been pin-high and just off the green as often as I was tonight in a long time. That's good and bad, because I used to be short and off the green, so I at least got one part figured out, but lots of short-sided misses that left tricky wedge shots.

I've been doing some drills at home in the garage to deal with my inside takeaway and inside path (At the range I often do the thing with offset balls adjacent to the one I'm hitting to help with path. I placed a couple of ball markers in the same places on the matt in the garage and have been taking practice swings without hitting the markers).

I took it to the course for a quick 9. I hit more balls well but still had too many hooks. I'll keep at it.

Last edited:
I enjoy hitting balls but never find the time to go out and hit. Today I had the good fortune of being invited to play Oakbourne CC. I arrived an hour and 45 minutes before tee time. The most wonderful range with all-you-can-hit range balls had me salivating. I hit wedges, mid irons, hybrids, driver. I was a driving range wunderkind. I hit good shot after good shot. The euphoric feeling of not being able to hit a bad shot had me giddy.

Our tee time arrived. I was out of gas. My friend had a 20 minute warm-up. He shot a decent 79. I fizzled and shot a struggling 89.

Oh what I coulda-woulda-shoulda shot!

Went to the range today for a large bucket with one of my buddies. He wasnt very good, but we had a heck of a lot of fun! worked on some driver stuff, as thats where a lot of my trouble is, still slicing it, but getting less and less each time. love hitting the range, as it relieves a lot of the stress from playing college baseball. probably gonna go again tomorrow alone, so i wont have the (enjoyable) distraction of laughing with buddy there to gear up for playing saturday afternoon with Mom.

Had my lesson last night and all I can say is the pro made things so simple to understand and I now have the basis of a 'new to me' swing that is so much simpler and will give me instant feedback when it goes wrong

It was the first time I had ever seen my swing on video and he said my swing is not bad, but there were 2 things he noticed....hands too high at the top of the backswing meant I was coming slightly over the top and flipping my hands at impact so if my timing was spot on I wouldn't have a problem, but as soon as my timing was off I would have problems - one change later and I was swinging so much better and hitting the ball more cleanly (albeit with a couple bad shots while I was concentrating on the feeling I should have during the swing)

I now know what I should feel during the backswing and once I get the new sequence ingrained into my mind so that it becomes automatic I have a suspicion that not only will I be striking the ball better but I wouldn't be surprised to see some distance gains as well

Spent a little time after the lesson hitting a few balls with different clubs and I even saw a couple of nice draws with my driver so I am looking forward to spending more time working on the swing

He also gave a me a couple of 'exercises' that I could do to work on to practice getting the feeling I am looking for

I got out to the range last night to continue working on what we saw in my lesson last Sunday. I again saw dramatic improvement on my ball striking with all clubs, which is not what the lesson was about, but a result none the less.
The lesson was about chipping and pitching, and that is what the practice was predominantly dedicated too. The work with the 54° and 58° is coming along nicely, but those shots that are inside 60 yards are still a issue. It's going to take some time to get control of these touch shots. These are definitely it if my comfort zone.

Got out and hit a small bucket yesterday after work. Finally this new grip is starting to feel natural. How in the world I got by with such a strong grip last season I'll never know, but it does seem like the hooks are history with my irons. My weight transfer could have been better though, especially coming through the zone on the driver and 3W tee shots...I felt my hips were getting a bit stuck at times and I saw some blocks to the left as a result. Ended my practice session with some chipping and putting. Good session overall.

Worked on the short game last night chipping and putting at the golf course. It was a cold/windy/rainy night so I was the only one out there so I could get my game on. Worked with chipping first and got to say I am feeling alot better about it. Getting to the point where it is almost a guaranteed one putt or chip in. After that worked on the putting. worked with 7 foot putts and in and really tried being consistant. Was feeling alright but just couldn't get in a good groove. Then after the short putts was some lag putting/long putts and I felt really good about them. I really do believe after doing chipping first it helps out my lag putting alot. But did all that and went home. Once home got in a discussion with Dhartmann about my putting game and how I just feel a bit frustrated with it after the other night of 42 putts. He asked me a couple questions and soon gave me a good tip to improve my putting. Well he led me to this web site http://www.eyelinegolf.com/products/pendulum-putting-rod Well after going there and seeing that, I was like hey I got a adjustable dust cleaner rod I imagine it will do the same. Well got that out and went down stairs to the putting green. Got it all set up with the putter and holy cow I was draining putts. Doing that really got me in a good rythmm and a great stroke now to stay consistant. I think I got to the point I was doing to much arms and not having a pendulum effective swing. So thanks Derek for showing that to me. Gonna keep on it so I really know how I should be putting.

Got down in the basement last night and swung the club a little bit with my good buddy tyno. I wasn't expecting great ball striking as I really haven't even thought about golfing in almost a week, but I was pleasantly surprised with the way the session went. Tyno bought a set of J40 CBs for a ridiculously good deal over the winter and he brought them down. A well struck CB feels even better than the DPCs do. I probably only took 20-30 swings with irons. Did some face angle drills to finish the night and then called it a night.

I guess it was a good week to have a baby because I wouldn't have been able to golf at all anyways because of the rain we've gotten all week. Weather is supposed to break early next week and I will get back to a routine. It will be shorter, more concise and focused practice sessions as I don't want to be away from my little one too long.

Small bucket at lunch, still have that fade but I'm aiming based on that, and it's been working out well. Had some hybrid trouble, which was weird since I've been killing it lately.

Guy a few stalls down from me was hitting gorgeous irons complete with fizz. I was slightly jealous.

OK maybe more than a little slightly...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Worked a little after my round yesterday on getting my weight forward on partial shots (wedges mostly) and not trying to lift the ball, where that habit came from I do not know.

Also spent time focusing on keeping the left arm straight and not winging it at impact, my god what a difference, and another habit I don't know where came from.

Got some practice in last evening. Focused on not rushing the backswing and transition down. Was pretty solid other than the 7i, which I was quick with, and the driver. Driver lesson is probably in order but it wasn't all bad. Then I spent time flighting wedges and worked on chipping and bunker shots. Overall a good outing.

I am really excited for tomorrow. I've got zero intentions of playing a round, and my mind set on around 3-5 hours of range + bunker + rough + putting green practice.

My focus will be on swing refinement, working the ball, and creativity around the greens. #TheGrindIsReal

Blah blah blah.

Had to get out of the house...drama everywhere today, must be a full moon so back to the range I went.

Not my best day with the irons, was pushing balls right and catching them fat. Same deal with hybo. After a while it gets mental and I try to guess the issue with the new swing...didnt pan out.

Last 10 balls were for driver. Hit first few long but pushed right. Decided to cheat and open up front foot. Boom long and straight.

After that went to chip. Started off slow but then started to find my groove. Was getting dark so threw down the 9 balls in different spots. Managed 6 within 5 feet, 1 within 8ish, 1 about 13 and 1 off green.

About as good as it gets for me so stopped.

My pro texted me back said it sounded like I was sliding. So hit another 10 balls or so but to no avail.

Will keep plugging away this weekend and I'm kinda hoping the issue creeps up again next week for my lesson so he can tell me for sure what I was doing wrong.

Now I'm back home with 8 kids at my house as well as my mother in law.

Happy days

Rough all around MikeDeanFourHundredAndFortyOne

Lesson day tomorrow and I am excited. After that if the rain stays away, GG and I are going to hit the range and then play 9 holes. Pretty excited about getting back to the range.

Spent about 2hr on the range today. For the first time in a long time I truly went after the ball. Usually really scared about tweaking the knee. Just something about loosing the 20lbs and walking as of late had me confident.

Took about the entire first bucket to not decelerate after impact. Kept it light at first and stuck with 9i through 6 iron. The sound at impact was so pleasing to the ear. Literally gained about 7yrd per club, but the confirmation that the knee was solid was just great.

Played my old home course in Japan in my head with the last bucket and my sc1000.

Came home and immediately had the brace and cooler ready, but havnt needed it yet.

I got out to the range last night to continue working on what we saw in my lesson last Sunday. I again saw dramatic improvement on my ball striking with all clubs, which is not what the lesson was about, but a result none the less.
The lesson was about chipping and pitching, and that is what the practice was predominantly dedicated too. The work with the 54° and 58° is coming along nicely, but those shots that are inside 60 yards are still a issue. It's going to take some time to get control of these touch shots. These are definitely it if my comfort zone.
I was just about to post about my range work today and seen this post. All aspects of my game is struggling but inside 100 is the worst. My 8 iron and down was very strong and accurate tonight, like best ever. PW was spot on 95 to 115 roughly. I do not have a 54, 58* is my next wedge (big gap I know). But it was dialed in to about 85, out of 20 balls I never miss hit it! I was pumped! At about my 7 iron I start to struggle with my over the top habit and wanting to "stand up" right before impact. Mental issue I think. Oh and I was stroking the 9 130 consistently, big news for me!

Spent about 2hr on the range today. For the first time in a long time I truly went after the ball. Usually really scared about tweaking the knee. Just something about loosing the 20lbs and walking as of late had me confident.

Took about the entire first bucket to not decelerate after impact. Kept it light at first and stuck with 9i through 6 iron. The sound at impact was so pleasing to the ear. Literally gained about 7yrd per club, but the confirmation that the knee was solid was just great.

Played my old home course in Japan in my head with the last bucket and my sc1000.

Came home and immediately had the brace and cooler ready, but havnt needed it yet.
Awesome! Stay strong!

I hit the range and worked on Panda's suggestion to feel like I am dragging my left hand knuckles through impact, this is something I am gonna need a lot more work to do consistently, I also need to work on staying down through the shot as I caught a few thin when playing today.

Hybo is still a hook machine for me, 3wd I am struggling with but believe its because the shaft doesn't fit, my tempo is crucial and it must be slow and extra easy.

Spent some time on the range working on my driver again. I think I'm finding something. Just working on a smooth takeaway and good transition to stop coming over the top. My smoother drives were getting to about 260. But I had tons of of hooks and pushes right.

I hope to play a round tomorrow and take some of what I worked on to the course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

To the range today for a large bucket of balls and then an hour of pitching. Seemed to really struggle with that the last time I played and need to refine the short chips and pitches from just off the green. Then tonight after the little one is sleeping I will be rolling the putter on the birdieball green. Practice greens around here are still pretty useless. Some courses haven't even made their first cut from winter yet.

Went to the range last night and was gawd awful. When I let my mind go blank, some good things happened, but for the most part I couldn't get some negative thoughts out of my head. Was trying to beat the living tar out of those little balls. Gave up about three quarters of the way through the bucket and started doing 1/2-3/4 swings with 8-PW. The picker was a fun target.

Had a double bucket session this morning and have been working on using my CORE more in the swing, it's allowing me to hit the ball higher and with more distance and accuracy. Getting used to a half club change isn't as hard as I thought, I'm generally a half club short when in between clubs so it's working out perfectly so far, I think Hogan was on to something when he said the answer is in the dirt. That's where I'm finding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back