Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

I do believe I've come to terms with my Morgan Cup irons. I long pondered the combo set, but with how forgiving the DPCs can be, and how little that hinders anything as compared to the CBs.

Currently working with a set paired with the DG S300's, I think I'm going to go back to my trusty DG X100 soft stepped once. The added stiffness will get my flight down a bit and help to promote additional consistency, both of which I am really excited about.

I think the hardest part about this selection process is knowing how many good options Bridgestone has available on their site. It's impressive.

You with DPCs just seems...right.

Still one of the best irons on the market, without a doubt. I have yet to meet anyone who has spent time with these irons that didnt come away impressed.

I do believe I've come to terms with my Morgan Cup irons. I long pondered the combo set, but with how forgiving the DPCs can be, and how little that hinders anything as compared to the CBs.

Currently working with a set paired with the DG S300's, I think I'm going to go back to my trusty DG X100 soft stepped once. The added stiffness will get my flight down a bit and help to promote additional consistency, both of which I am really excited about.

I think the hardest part about this selection process is knowing how many good options Bridgestone has available on their site. It's impressive.

No arguments here...take the forgiveness and move on
Well done sir

I really like the Soft step dea dude. Matt has those in his JPX, and they feel great. Distance wise they're a club longer than my gamers too. X100 feel, with the s300 action...is how it felt to me.

I'm optimistic about returning to a familiar setup, one that I absolutely know works for my game.

Why soft step? Your delivery is too smooth. S400 would be a solid choice. Not questioning just talking in my head. I know you knew what is best.

Why soft step? Your delivery is too smooth. S400 would be a solid choice. Not questioning just talking in my head. I know you knew what is best.

I've mostly gone X1's in the past because of the spin reduction it provides along with a bit more piercing flight. More beneficial on windier days, but I am quite aware that I sit right on the bubble of X with my swing.

S400 have been the other ponder for quite some time now. I'll have the week to consider and I'll probably hit the two shafts side by side before confirming my order next week.

If I wasn't head down to Florida I would send the S400's down your way.

Just got some c-taper R+ to go in mine. Will feel like different clubs without spending the coin on new clubs.

Just got some c-taper R+ to go in mine. Will feel like different clubs without spending the coin on new clubs.

Nice. So you going to reshaft them now?

I had an absolutely incredible range session with my DPCs last night. I feel like as my swing gets more and more in shape, the better these start to perform. I was hitting some absolute moon shots with my irons last night, and I know that as amateurs, we over think "hitting too high" but I am beginning to wonder if they are launching too high. I was losing a bit of distance last night that I wasn't used to. It could have been wind, as it was coming straight into my face, and I did notice it a bit throughout the entire bag.

Either way, I was enjoying the DPCs last night with the PXi's. Almost a little too much..

Nice. So you going to reshaft them now?

Get them tomorrow. Have interclub on Saturday and will chuck them in next week.

I had an absolutely incredible range session with my DPCs last night. I feel like as my swing gets more and more in shape, the better these start to perform. I was hitting some absolute moon shots with my irons last night, and I know that as amateurs, we over think "hitting too high" but I am beginning to wonder if they are launching too high. I was losing a bit of distance last night that I wasn't used to. It could have been wind, as it was coming straight into my face, and I did notice it a bit throughout the entire bag.

Either way, I was enjoying the DPCs last night with the PXi's. Almost a little too much..

Tough to get a read on a range session with wind in the face buddy. Last I remembered, that shaft/head pairing worked quite well for your swing.

Tough to get a read on a range session with wind in the face buddy. Last I remembered, that shaft/head pairing worked quite well for your swing.

No worries, I am not bailing on them. I like the way I have been hitting. Just an observation from yesterday.

These will be paired with KBS Tour90's for me. Ponder over.

JM

Does bridgestone follow the 2 year plan for clubs like titleist or did they just do such a good job with these they are holding off trying to push a new product? I read nothing but great reviews and people still recommend looking at these irons even with companies coming out with multiple new sets every year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Does bridgestone follow the 2 year plan for clubs like titleist or did they just do such a good job with these they are holding off trying to push a new product? I read nothing but great reviews and people still recommend looking at these irons even with companies coming out with multiple new sets every year.

I believe the next generation is due out later this year. Not sure about a 2 year plan though. Most certainly the j40 line competes with any new equipment!

I heard from the Bridgestone rep here in NZ that there will be a new line this later this year, just not sure when.

Iron/Shaft selection has been made. DPC paired up with the DG-x100's. Couldn't pass up the added forgiveness with the DPC's.

I've had these (5-PW with stock PX Flighted 5.5 bent 1* flat) in my bag now for about 14 months. Absolutely love them. The only reason I would ever replace them is if I broke them all. They're staying until I completely wear out the faces. They are so forgiving yet workable. Still to this day, I sometimes astonish myself with how far I can hit some of the irons and how predictable the flight is. Just last week, on a 164yd par 3 with a very slightly hurting breeze, I carried my 9i (I was trying to play safe, short right as the pin was tucked back left) pin-high, 12' away on the fringe. Of course, I pulled it a touch because I had no intentions of attacking that pin location with a deep bunker short of the pin, but holy cow! I just couldn't believe I hit the 9i that far on a swing that I wasn't trying to "muscle".

As with 99.9% of all reviewers of the DPC's, I have nothing but good things to say. If you do decide on getting a set, I would strongly suggest getting covers for them. The forgings are so soft that with just 2 rounds of rattling around in the bag gave them some noticeable chatter marks.

Iron/Shaft selection has been made. DPC paired up with the DG-x100's. Couldn't pass up the added forgiveness with the DPC's.

Sounds like what someone that lives a few minutes away suggested...congrats man

It looks like j38 was released in 2010 and j40 was released in late 2011.

I'm not sure they are on a regular release schedule like some of the other large club companies, but maybe that changes after their next release.

I've had these (5-PW with stock PX Flighted 5.5 bent 1* flat) in my bag now for about 14 months. Absolutely love them. The only reason I would ever replace them is if I broke them all. They're staying until I completely wear out the faces. They are so forgiving yet workable. Still to this day, I sometimes astonish myself with how far I can hit some of the irons and how predictable the flight is. Just last week, on a 164yd par 3 with a very slightly hurting breeze, I carried my 9i (I was trying to play safe, short right as the pin was tucked back left) pin-high, 12' away on the fringe. Of course, I pulled it a touch because I had no intentions of attacking that pin location with a deep bunker short of the pin, but holy cow! I just couldn't believe I hit the 9i that far on a swing that I wasn't trying to "muscle".

As with 99.9% of all reviewers of the DPC's, I have nothing but good things to say. If you do decide on getting a set, I would strongly suggest getting covers for them. The forgings are so soft that with just 2 rounds of rattling around in the bag gave them some noticeable chatter marks.

That's a heck of a 9i dude. I completely agree with your assessment. Just great irons all around!

Bridgestone normally follows the 2 year release cycle with their equipment, just like with their golf balls.
Normally that would have meant a soft launch in late 2013 with the real launch happening at the PGA Show.

There are some changes going on that we are not allowed to discuss as of yet (all good ones) and that will lead towards the end of this year.
Certainly makes it even more exciting for the THP Bridgestone Championship huh?

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...014-THP-Bridgestone-Championship-PGA-National

Sounds like what someone that lives a few minutes away suggested...congrats man

It was a tough call because I enjoyed the DPC's with the Aerotech's that someone let me tout around HH.

Bridgestone normally follows the 2 year release cycle with their equipment, just like with their golf balls.
Normally that would have meant a soft launch in late 2013 with the real launch happening at the PGA Show.

There are some changes going on that we are not allowed to discuss as of yet (all good ones) and that will lead towards the end of this year.
Certainly makes it even more exciting for the THP Bridgestone Championship huh?

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...014-THP-Bridgestone-Championship-PGA-National

From what Josh said on the Bridgestone call, the next line should be something incredibly awesome, and true to Bridgestone fashion, quite innovative. Hard to imagine improving on the DPCs, but I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Back