Why did you start playing?

GentPTC

Reaction score
Handicap
For me it is to have a game I can play with the kids. Soccer and baseball are great but I just watch from the sidelines. This is something we can all do together. Trying to convince my better half to try as well.

A friend of mine asked if I'd like to go, so I did.

I've grown to love the game, and strive to improve.

I had a friend who asked me to come along one time and give it a try. I have been hooked ever since.

Because my father loved it growing up, and gave it up to focus on children and career. When I learned that, I knew at some point it would be something that I wanted.

Was shamed into it by my cousin and my Uncle because I teased them so much about golf. They told me that after I played with them just once I could tease all I wanted. Was hooked ever since.

JM

My dad got me playing when I was little. It was another way that we could spend time together. My mom plays now which is awesome so when im in town it's great to play with them. I very much enjoy playing with family and friends.

It was senior year in college and was running out of things to do. My buddy was a good player, so he took me, showed me enough to swing the club and I became hooked. It didn't hurt that Santa Barbara has some gorgeous courses and resident rates were pretty cheap. It also didn't hurt that I learned you could drink on the course.

My dad had played when he was young and he even had a college scholarship playing, He had given it up for work demands before I was around. When he retired a few years back, he picked the game back up. I started to play with him and I was 41 at the time. So my first round of golf with my dad was when I was 41! (I had a brief stint of trying to play for about 3 months in my 30's but had no one to play with and only played about 3 full rounds before giving up on it.) This time around I was ready to commit to it, took some lessons and I was fully hooked. Now 3.5 years later the obsession is grown into a full monster with its own room in the house :)

I started playing when I saw my neighbor chipping in his front yard. I walked over and he said, "try this." I did, and I got a starter set about a week later.

My father played and I got tired of sitting in the cart on a perfectly good cartoon Saturday. Picked up a set of All Americans and never looked back.

No my son begs me to take him. My hope is that one day my father, myself and my son will play a round or two together

I always wanted to for some reason, couldn't afford it in highschool , ended up buying a 100$ set at Walmart and yea. Got serious after college.

Because my Junior High baseball team, and the coach of the team, sucked. Had played a handful of times before and decided to drop off the baseball team and go out for the golf team. Never played competitive baseball again after that.

My father loved golf. My in laws loved golf. My wife loved golf. So I started to try it. And the bug bit

My father played and I got tired of sitting in the cart on a perfectly good cartoon Saturday. Picked up a set of All Americans and never looked back.

No my son begs me to take him. My hope is that one day my father, myself and my son will play a round or two together
Bro, there is no better feeling.

I did every other sport but golf and my folks suddenly started playing themselves. Kept us off drugs, while we were out there. Lol

HTC M8

I knew I joined the right forum. Really enjoy the replies. After 1 lesson I knew I had started something big.

My buddy and I played putt putt, did well and decided to play golf the next day.

I had interest in golf because I love sports. Growing up in the city, golf was never on my radar. It was baseball, basketball, soccer and football. I think I saw my first driving range when after a baseball win we went for ice cream. Fast forward, I decided that once I was done playing college baseball that golf was my next adventure. Well I played my last game, hung up my spikes and it has been golf ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Business, it was the in thing to do in my career at that time and I took it up to try and develop sales and relationships. Golf stayed and the career went lol.

My mate found some old clubs in his garage, he had a huge patch of land out back so we thought why not.

I started as a way to spend time with my dad. And on some levels to try to gain his approval of me. Which I didn't realize till later in life. Best damn irrational decision I made as a young teenager.

Won a contest at a local B&M, thought it would be a good idea to see the rest of the course more than once in a blue moon. Found THP looking for some irons...didn't look back.

Parents tried to force it on me in high school but didn't quite take. Last year for whatever reason I decided to get into the game again and never look back

Started caddying at 13 and knew little about the game, except the money and work environment were great. It was a natural extension to start playing golf on Caddie's Day, every monday. We'd get to the course at 7 am and leave just before dark. What a great way to learn the game.

It started out just drinking and bombing golf balls with drivers to. Haha, now I rarely drink beer and would rather have a great wedge game !

Back