The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheat day aka I'm drinking beer tonight. My day of relaxation so no practice.

Cheat day aka I'm drinking beer tonight. My day of relaxation so no practice.
I approve of this message! I'll be over lol

League was rained out last night so I decided to go put in some work at the range. I got there and there was absolutely no one there, so I paid for a large bucket and got settled in. That's about the time that I realized there were probably almost 40 balls scattered directly in front of me about 10 yards away. It's like someone literally duffed an entire small bucket of balls. So, I grabbed a bucket, went out and scooped them up and used them for a bit more practice!

I wanted to work on irons a bit tonight and I was really happy with the way that session went. I played "point and shoot" all over the range using different irons for different flags. Was really striking the ball well and was even putting a draw on my irons, which was exciting. Still hit a few thin, but when I really concentrated on making my swing, the results were awesome.

Moved on to the X2hot hybrid again and I am just in love with this thing. I was getting the 20° to fall just short of the 200 yard flag, these things are long, which is very well documented, but it still blows my mind at how nice these things area. The Tour Green shaft just feels great in transition and I feel very comfortable with that club in my bag.

Moved on to driver, and I have been focusing on quickening my transition/downswing a bit. I feel like I slow things down sometimes trying to feel things and it does me more harm then good. If I speed it up just a tad, I am not overthinking things and letting the swing/body do the work instead of trying to make sure I "feel" certain points in the swing for validation. It worked out great, was really striking the ball well. Need to continue to work on face angle control, sometimes I was leaving it open, other times I was coming in too closed which lead to accuracy issues. From a ball striking perspective though, I was much more centered (thanks Dr. Scholls!).

I then ventured out into the rain for some short game practice for about 45 minutes, I went through my short game gauntlet that I talked about earlier in this thread and felt really good. I then used the 60° to work on short sided, elevated green shots. Was playing around with opening the face a bit and determining how much of a swing I needed to make to get the ball to go where I wanted it too. Once i was thoroughly soaked, I called it a night. Clubs have been drying out all night and should be ready for golf this weekend.

Beats me...not happy. This paired with not getting me in last week gas me wondering.

I do not like this I know my game needs some work to go heads up with you but I want you playing well when we do.

Have you started looking for others in the area yet?

League was rained out last night so I decided to go put in some work at the range. I got there and there was absolutely no one there, so I paid for a large bucket and got settled in. That's about the time that I realized there were probably almost 40 balls scattered directly in front of me about 10 yards away. It's like someone literally duffed an entire small bucket of balls. So, I grabbed a bucket, went out and scooped them up and used them for a bit more practice!

I wanted to work on irons a bit tonight and I was really happy with the way that session went. I played "point and shoot" all over the range using different irons for different flags. Was really striking the ball well and was even putting a draw on my irons, which was exciting. Still hit a few thin, but when I really concentrated on making my swing, the results were awesome.

Moved on to the X2hot hybrid again and I am just in love with this thing. I was getting the 20° to fall just short of the 200 yard flag, these things are long, which is very well documented, but it still blows my mind at how nice these things area. The Tour Green shaft just feels great in transition and I feel very comfortable with that club in my bag.

Moved on to driver, and I have been focusing on quickening my transition/downswing a bit. I feel like I slow things down sometimes trying to feel things and it does me more harm then good. If I speed it up just a tad, I am not overthinking things and letting the swing/body do the work instead of trying to make sure I "feel" certain points in the swing for validation. It worked out great, was really striking the ball well. Need to continue to work on face angle control, sometimes I was leaving it open, other times I was coming in too closed which lead to accuracy issues. From a ball striking perspective though, I was much more centered (thanks Dr. Scholls!).

I then ventured out into the rain for some short game practice for about 45 minutes, I went through my short game gauntlet that I talked about earlier in this thread and felt really good. I then used the 60° to work on short sided, elevated green shots. Was playing around with opening the face a bit and determining how much of a swing I needed to make to get the ball to go where I wanted it too. Once i was thoroughly soaked, I called it a night. Clubs have been drying out all night and should be ready for golf this weekend.

Soinds like a great practice session!

I do not like this I know my game needs some work to go heads up with you but I want you playing well when we do.

Have you started looking for others in the area yet?

Not yet he replied today after my 3rd inquiry. Will see how it goes and decide from there. Don't really wanna start over bit need to progress more.

Not yet he replied today after my 3rd inquiry. Will see how it goes and decide from there. Don't really wanna start over bit need to progress more.

Yeah not elevating irons won't work out well in myrtle

I would say its time to move on. It does not have to be a complete start over, but this entire process has been hard to swallow on your end. Get your money back or demand better communication.

I would say its time to move on. It does not have to be a complete start over, but this entire process has been hard to swallow on your end. Get your money back or demand better communication.

Yeah last lesson of the 6 pack is tomorrow. I'm a nice guy but will not be ignored or taken advantage of. I think we will discuss it as adults and see without me yelling hopefully

I just finished a very encouraging practice session!

Made good contact throughout my bag, just easy 80% swings, I promised myself not to swing hard the entire session, and my swing and contact definitely benefitted!
I moved then to the short game area and worked on full, 3/4, and 2/3 swings and a few duffs and skulls aside chipping is coming along, I did notice I tend to want to set up balanced over a wedge, and when I shift weight to the front it really helps! (Go figure...)

I rolled the Ghost Spider SI pretty well also.

All in all pretty happy and hope this all translates to some good golf tonight for league play!

Nice buddy! Love seeing the work you're doing and that you really truly want to improve. Can't wait to see ya again.

Thanks! The game is getting more and more enjoyable all the time!

Thanks! The game is getting more and more enjoyable all the time!

Its amazing how that works isn't it? I've said it in here but the last couple weeks have just been something else for me, as things FINALLY click from lessons and practice it all just gets more addicting and has me wanting to not just play, but practice, more and more.

This morning I had one of those range sessions that just clicks. I have always been very steep into the ball and struggle with some of the issues that this can cause. I've been trying to "get behind the ball" as Shawn Clement describes it and it always feels weird. The last few times swinging, getting behind the ball started to feel better and better. Today I set up, got my dominant eye (left) on the ball and pushed my hip ever so slightly towards the target and setup behind the ball. Everything was very well struck with solid distance. This translated from wedges to fairway wood and eliminated my fade with the longer clubs.

I then decided to apply it to the driver and holy high bombs Batman! I felt like I was finally hitting up on the ball and was getting a ridiculous amount of carry. I'm hoping I can get some more work in this weekend and solidify this action. I've got a Member/Guest tournament on Wednesday and would like to bring the A game.

Went to the range today. Have to say that it was the best range session I've had this year. I'm starting to think hitting into a net over winter messed me up. But it's slowly coming around.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Went to go do some chipping practice at the range but it was packed. So I went to the putting green and spent an hour. Strictly 5 footers for the first 20 min or so. Focused on making a decisive stroke with no deceleration. Then worked on lag putts focusing on getting to easy one putt distance.

On to the range with two large buckets to hammer out the short iron issue I was having. Turns out I was very armsy and was collapsing on the back swing causimg inconsistencies on the bottom of my swing. Hit about 20 balls each club focusing on shoulder turn (left shoulder under chin), left arm straight, and turn through with head still until right shoulder picks up my chin. Had some pulls and some pushes, but a lot of good quality strikes. More work on this feeling of the swing and tempo will be done

Hit the range today and I think I tried to see how many swing thoughts it's possible to have at one time. I worked on trying to get my grip to a more neutral position as it has been sneaking back to becoming too strong again. Also worked on keeping my left knee bent and trying to remain more level throughout my swing. Also trying to hit down more on the ball rather than just sweeping it. Was making very good contact with the ball toward the end of the session.

Two rounds scheduled for tomorrow, with a potential range session built in between. I'm pretty excited.

Putting in work!

I just finished a very encouraging practice session!

Made good contact throughout my bag, just easy 80% swings, I promised myself not to swing hard the entire session, and my swing and contact definitely benefitted!
I moved then to the short game area and worked on full, 3/4, and 2/3 swings and a few duffs and skulls aside chipping is coming along, I did notice I tend to want to set up balanced over a wedge, and when I shift weight to the front it really helps! (Go figure...)

I rolled the Ghost Spider SI pretty well also.

All in all pretty happy and hope this all translates to some good golf tonight for league play!

Got 6 holes in and had 2 doubles a birdie and 3 pars. Very encouraged, don't know if I'll be able to play this weekend or even next week, but should be able to get a couple more range sessions in.

#LearnToEmbraceTheRange

Can't wait to get back in this thread! Early flight and 2 time zone changes does have a bright side.

Of course it's 47 and rainy 10 minutes before my lesson. I smell a cancel coming

Lesson 6 in the books.

For us continues to be trying to stop the club from dropping inside on the downswing. Sae it first hand in some video and it's crazy that I can't even feel it.

Worked on some gate drills to focus on the "cutting across the body feeling". This is my Achilles heel and what is really stopping me from playing good golf.

Wasn't happy at all with how I did at the lessons so I stayed and hit balls on the range.

3 buckets later I still wasn't happy but figured it was time to call it a day. The 100 foot walk I thought about what transpired and where I was with my game. Told myself days are flying by I can't quit. So I hit another bucket and while I had a few bad shots I was keeping the ball airborne which helps validate I'm kept so far inside. Hit a few drivers at the end but was slipping all over the place and just lining balls straight out there.

Ran over and chipped 50 or 60 balls really focusing on feeling the club slide under the ball. Felt pretty darn good and saw some solid results.

I know I will have days like today but no one said the #JourneyToBetter was going to be easy. I'm not happy with the status half way through the lessons so it's time to really start grinding away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back