The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Agree with DDEC 100%. If you repeat your swing, it should take right to the gear. Especially if it is fit to you. The only other way it will have a negative effect on anyone's game is if they let it get in their head.

JM

Just a quick question to satisfy my curiosity, those of you who don't have any of the clubs you will be gaming in July, do you think you are at a disadvantage?

I know a lot of dudes have acquired some of the clubs they will be using. I don't have the cash or the trade bait to get any of the clubs that will be in my bag. I personally don't think I'm at a disadvantage but I'd be curious to see what everyone else thinks including dudes who aren't in the MC.

I'm in generally the same boat Jordan. It probably is a minor disadvantage, but short of telling people what they are "allowed" to do with their own money, there is nothing one can do about it. I certainly wasn't going to go out and buy things I'm going to receive in two months.

With range time and nine holes playing clubs I was fitted properly for, there should be very little gained at that point.

Jordan!!! I'm embracing the fact that I might not have hit any of the clubs I ended up receiving from Clev/Srix come July!! Love me new challenges this game brings to me.

I'm not concerned about not having it in advance. A range session and 9 holes is plenty to figure out. Plus, everyone is in the same situation of not having their exact stuff as well. Level playing field there until we hit the range. Some people will learn quicker than others, but I don't forsee there really being any issues

Good conversation so far and I certainly wasn't asking as a complaint. Personally, I'm in the boat that says it really isn't a disadvantage. Having all day Friday is enough to figure out distances and get yourself setup.

The driver wedges and putter will be key for me, but not too concerned with anything but the putter. It is something off the norm for me and will be spending time getting used to it. Having gone through the full bag fitting and accepting direction without question, I'm excited.

I did get lucky enough to grab some of the clubs I'll be gaming to get used to the feel of them. That being said I see no advatange to me swinging these vs someone not swing their equipment. If someone says they have issues with it I truly believe it's all mental as long as the clubs were fit to you or close to your current gamers. There's no reason why different clubs should cause someone to play drastically different. Just my .02

Having only the True Balance putter at the PGA SS, that makes me a little nervous as it is it's different from anything I've rolled before, but I think having Friday to get acquainted with it I'll be fine.

I don't know if it's an advantage or not. I really don't. But, after thinking about it long and hard, it was just too difficult to pass up using my current putter for the MC.

The only club I have that resembles my mc bag is my putter. Same shape but different in every other aspect.

I went to a fitting with my mc rep clubs but other than that dont have much experience or own any of them.

Thinking in the beggining, I was 100% sure id buy some of the gear to be prepared.

Jb said something months ago when I was panicked about my putter for the mc.. he said something about being a tour pro involves adaptation. . He said it much better but that was the jist.

I like the idea of the extra challenge. No im not a tour pro, not do I shoot par everyday. However im a firm believer that the clubs are a very small part of your game.. some will disagree and thats great. I just truly believe that the preparation im going through, the clubs are not needed..

Certainly excited about the unknown as a Cleveland/Srixon staffer, but I'm only going to be worried about my swing. As long as I can keep my swing consistent, I feel like I'll be alright.

For the vets of this event... Think about this for a minute;

We have been there and THiNK we know what is coming. But as we have been told over the past few months... We have no clue what's in store for us. It's a new experience and a new ride we are about to see.

To the new guys... Get ready for the time of your life. An event that will change the game as you know it. The fraternity and brotherhood you are now part of is something that you will cherish for a lifetime

I can't freaking wait.

To respond to Jordan...I don't think you will be at a disadvantage w/o gaming any of the equipment. If you trust your swing the rest will fall into place. Those few hours on the range will allow you to dial in some distances, etc. With knowing the amount of work all of us have put in the equipment piece of the journey should be a smooth transition.

As for the journey and what to expect...I've got nothing. I am along for the long haul and look forward to embracing all that is thrown my way. The fraternity and brotherhood that is formed by us 40 will be exceptionally nonetheless. We are embarking on a journey that others have taken before in the past. Although this is a new era, it is only a new chapter to what was thought up by JB and GG. We are now part of those words being transcribed in that chapter. We have a month and a half left and we owe it to ourselves, THP, and our OEM's to let everyone know what it's all about.

I can say that I appreciate all the hard work, the pick me ups, and the conversations that have derived from being selected. I may not converse with all of you on a regular basis yet I feel like we've all been friends for years. Thank you for that!!!

Just a quick question to satisfy my curiosity, those of you who don't have any of the clubs you will be gaming in July, do you think you are at a disadvantage?

I know a lot of dudes have acquired some of the clubs they will be using. I don't have the cash or the trade bait to get any of the clubs that will be in my bag. I personally don't think I'm at a disadvantage but I'd be curious to see what everyone else thinks including dudes who aren't in the MC.

My answer is similar to jersey nates and if my swing is good so should be my clubs to. Yes we have no idea what Cleveland or Srixon is going to come out with yet but I know come myrtle beach I will be all positive and won't have any negatives thoughts in my head. I'll be smiling all the time town there because great friends great family and ofcourse great equipment.

Interesting to see some of the thoughts about putters. The putter is the least of my worries with the new clubs. I think the one thing I may have trouble adjusting to is the driver but honestly I'm not even worried about that. I'm confidant with my fitting results and I know that getting clubs the day before competition will not hinder my results on the course. I personally love that we are getting the clubs on Friday. It adds a new piece to the excitement.

I don't think anyone is at a disadvantage as we are all in the same boat. That being said, some have a quicker learning curve then others. While some will still question their gear Saturday morning others won't. Add in the magnitude of the event and you might have a slight edge for some. Is that enough to make a difference, well that remains to be seen.

No disadvantage, there's always a honeymoon phase with new gear, now that phase is just luckily the Morgan Cup rounds. :)

To me, the equipment that I'll be playing down there was a major departure from what I used to play, so going in cold wasn't an option. I didn't go nuts and buy an exact replica of all the clubs that I'll be playing, but picked up a few samplers and borrowed a few others. Got a driver, 5 iron, and 2 wedges on loan, purchased a 5w, 4h, 6 iron, and now a putter, all used. I plan to re-sell some things to get some of my investment back, but figure about $100 investment to give me one less thing to worry about down there made sense, but I don't think everyone has to do it to be on the same playing field.

I played in a 4 man scramble yesterday with 3 guys who are probably upper 20's or higher handicappers (one guy just started playing as part of his physical therapy for new hips), and I was the anchor for the team. I'd always hit last when they'd all chunk their shots or miss their putts, and the pressure was squarely on me to come through. Happy to say that while everything I hit under pressure wasn't 100% how I'd like it to have gone, everything was safe and in play. Really helped me prepare for some of the pressure in MB where there is a premium on keeping the ball in play, so it was a fun little test.

Wonder if we will be able to have the new THP towels on our bags at the MC?

One day closer. One day closer...

Great question Mike Dean. Things that make you go hmmmmmm

I would be happy with paper towels, but I bet there is a surprise twist on a yes answer here as well.

I would be happy with paper towels, but I bet there is a surprise twist on a yes answer here as well.

Here's hoping this is the case!

Reading the last few pages really gets the excitement level up.....imagine how we all will be with 2 weeks to go!!!

Back