The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent an hour before work this morning at the range. Worked through my entire bag. Scoring clubs feel great. Driver and FWY's continue to be a work in progress.

Spent my lunch hour on the practice putting green. Working some drills my SPI instructor had given me.

All in all a great day of practice. I'm pretty excited about my lesson tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an early morning range session and I'm not sure it could've gone much better.

I'm finally getting somewhere with less swing thoughts. Swing is getting shortened and my head is remaining more still. Had a pretty darn good morning of ball striking and I can't wait to see how I play in TN over 54 holes and never before seen courses.

Putting has been pretty darn good as of late and if it can get better with the help of a SPi instructor.....bring it!

Instructor told me not to hit too many long clubs in a row, so I've been trying to stick to that. Three or four and then back to a wedge or scoring iron for a few balls.

I really like to do this as well. Really helps keep the right tempo. The old saying "swing your driver like your 7 iron" or something like that

Range session today, mainly Altitudes and trying out the new driver shaft.

A bit of an easier swing for the driver, resulting in similar results. A bit higher ball flight.

Altitudes, when I make good contact, I love. The problem is my swing is so messed up right now, that good contact is few and far between. Having to reset everything, grip... stance... ball position.... everything is a struggle right now.

Tried out some drivers tonight as well to see if I could get a bump in distance. Bertha, X2Hot, Bio Cell, SLDRS. Not a big bump unfortunately, but the Bertha and X2Hot felt great.

Pretty good advice. I try to remind myself to switch it up on the range. I remember reading in the Little Red Book that not only causes fatigue but bad habits.

I really like to do this as well. Really helps keep the right tempo. The old saying "swing your driver like your 7 iron" or something like that

Yep that's his reasoning. Screws up tempo, tires you out, and encourages poor habits.

Went to the range yesterday and worked on irons for the most part. Really was striking the ball well. Spent about an hour on 70 balls, really taking my time and trying to feel the in to out swing. I also noticed I wasn't shifting my weight as well as I could have on the front foot, so I sowed that up a bit too. Spent the next 30 balls with the Alpha, still working on consistency and trying to get that same in to out swing I was working with with my irons. Results were a bit mixed, but drives were playable.

The last 10 balls of that 30 I imagined I was on #4 at True Blue, Water all along the left and woods way right. If my visualization was right, I put 7 in the fairway, 1 into the woods and 2 into the water. I was battling a bit of the pulls with the driver the last time out, so I figured this would be a good "visual" indicator to not pull the ball left.

I then went and worked on my sand game for 35 minutes and came away a little frustrated. I purposely put the ball on the hard pan sand to help simulate a waste bunker at True Blue, and tried to get up to the green about 8 ft above my head. Results were very mixed including fat and thin shots mixed in with some pretty solid recoveries. It's something I am going to make a point to work on every time I go to the range because I'm not going to kid myself, I will have a few sandshots during the competition, and not preparing for those wouldn't be very prudent.

I am heading back there over my lunch today for the short game, just to continue to work on short game and sand work.

So I went to a demo day this past weekend and was trying out all sorts of new toys. When I got to the Callaway stop I was hitting some balls and the rep stopped me and said "remember, the clubface goes where your hands go". At first I was like what? And then it hit me. For as long as I can remember, I was trying to use my hands to get the clubface where I wanted it to be. I was directing it. So I started to just get my hands to go towards my target on the downswing and something must have aligned because I started hitting fantastic draws right towards my target.

I forgot about the tip on Sunday morning on the front 9...probably because we tee off at 6:30 am and it takes me so long to wake up...but on 9 it just popped right back into my head and I played par golf from that point forward. I even Drove it over a 285 yd par 4.... In the afternoon I hit the range for a practice session and really focused on just bringing my hands through towards the target and I was super impressed with the divots and results.

It's going to be my focus factor from now on. I'm hoping it leads to more consistent shots, especially off the tee since that is what costs me most of the 'errant' extra shots throughout the round. Here's hoping the excellent results continue!

Lesson time. TPC River Highlands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just set up a putting and short game lesson!

I can't wait!

Going out to hit a bucket or 2 at lunch right after I order my THP headcover! Haven't hit a ball in about 10 days so need to see where I'm at headed into SeeMore week.

Going to work on the short game tonight

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Getting in some bunker work. What was once a guessing game is becoming a strength

Driver lesson - Used Trackman and my new alignment. Instructor gave me a drill about ball position and staying behind the ball, started correcting my high fade, with mixed results. Looking forward to the range for the next week.

Another evening of indoor stuff. It's pouring rain and the forecast tonight is more rain.

Another evening of indoor stuff. It's pouring rain and the forecast tonight is more rain.

The rain has been frustrating up here, too. More putting for me...

Getting in some bunker work. What was once a guessing game is becoming a strength

jealous dude I'm trying to find a spot to work on mine

Hit the empty range with a new glove and ready to work. Irons were drawing again, but when I go to the course, I fade. Need to work on tempo. Just staying relaxed as possible and rotating through ended up with nice shots, even with long irons which I mostly don't get along with.

Driver was dreadful. I'm giving it one hole this weekend, if it's bad it's nothing but fairway or 4 iron off the tee.

6uzamaqy.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

My issues are definitely confidence and just an overall fear right now. Today on the range I was tense and just afraid to commit to my swing plus my mind was racing. It will take some work but I have had these issues before and worked through them.

OK, the kid helped me with these for my driver session tonight. They look better than I thought they would. Both drives were piped, fwiw.
I just picked up a barely used RFE last night for 75 smackers. Couldn't pass it up. I don't know if I hit one ball all night more than 1/2 a fairway off center.

OK, the kid helped me with these for my driver session tonight. They look better than I thought they would. Both drives were piped, fwiw.
I just picked up a barely used RFE last night for 75 smackers. Couldn't pass it up. I don't know if I hit one ball all night more than 1/2 a fairway off center.

Nice job keeping same plane on backswing and down swing!

Watch that front facing view closely. Your weight is on your back foot at and through impact. You don't shift to your front until the swing is almost over. Get that weight shift earlier and you'll get more distance.

Good video by the kid!

Got some work in today. Played 15 holes, short game and putting were terrific. The short game lesson last week got me back to more traditional chipping/pitching, opening my stance and opening/closing the face to alter ball flight and now that I understand where my hands have to be, is working well. As for putting, I'm focusing on the 4 main points from Stockton's book and my confidence with the flat stick is through the roof.

Full swing was choppy at first, then de-railed completely for 2 holes, then came around pretty good for the last 6 holes. My problem is the same; too far inside and laid off on the backswing. Even when I'm trying not to do it, it happens. But focusing on the back of my left hand facing the ball throughout the swing seems to be helping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another lesson tonight. Guy had me trying to hit high draws. I've always played a low cut. It was a lot of work, but I appreciate a pro who will challenge me.

Nice job keeping same plane on backswing and down swing!

Watch that front facing view closely. Your weight is on your back foot at and through impact. You don't shift to your front until the swing is almost over. Get that weight shift earlier and you'll get more distance.

Good video by the kid!

Gonna second this. Your transition is very very good.. You shift well towards your left side very well as seen in the FO view at the 8 second mark. That's spot on. As the club is moving down into the hip height area though, you stopped shifting. I'm not sure if you're trying to hit it high or not so you hang back?

Garage session last night. Started out ok, got a little disinterested, then finished better. Sooooooooooooo bored of that garage and it seems to produce lame practice sessions at the moment. Regardless, planning on getting out to the range today for a little practice and some testing. Had hoped to do a practice nine, but have a tee ball game I need to be at that will make that difficult.

Gonna second this. Your transition is very very good.. You shift well towards your left side very well as seen in the FO view at the 8 second mark. That's spot on. As the club is moving down into the hip height area though, you stopped shifting. I'm not sure if you're trying to hit it high or not so you hang back?

I watched the FO view several times and I wonder if it's a byproduct of trying to keep my head behind the ball. Freddie has pointed out the back-lean and tried to help and I've really tried to work on it. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be. You would think once I got that mass moving forward, there'd be no stopping it!
Next time it'll be irons, long and short. I have REALLY been grooving the hell outta the 6-AW but need work on the top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back