The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have two lessons available out of a five pack I purchased earlier this year. I just can't seem to muster up the desire to take the last two. Getting lazy I suppose however it's more like I'm tired all the time these days. :beat-up:

Trying to get out tonight to work the swing, focusing on the hooks. I've heard a few drills lately that I'm gonna try to combat it - anybody heard of the tee drill? Hold a tee between the top of your left thumb and the thumb pad of your right (reverse for lefties) - supposed to keep your grip connected through the swing, which is supposed to limit the late wrist flip that tends to cause snap hooks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Take a picture SBG. I'm not following you, but I'm interested.

The boy's tee ball game kept me from the range tonight, so I hit some net balls working on staying connected and a lighter grip. Then I drove down to a putting green and worked with the putter and some different greenside shots. Glad I did that for a change.

Had a good practice session today. spent a bunch of time putting and working on my aim. I am slowly but surely getting my confidence back there. Just need to keep putting in work. I need to stop swinging so damn hard with my driver though sheesh. haha

After a round today, I did a ton if work to stop the left pull that has crept up. Then did focus on 40,50, 60, 70 yards with wedges.

Another really good session tonight. The swing is starting to feel effortless to me and only have one swing thought feeling more OTT on the downswing. I think this starting to help me get on plane instead of below it. Ball is flying straight on target which is good enough for me. These increased reps are a big factor and I need to be this consistent on the course. Day off tomorrow and shooting for 18 Sat or Sun.

Today was the first range session in a few weeks where I actually felt like a golfer.
I'm working on a new grip and a steeper swing plane right now which will yield really good results in time I think, but until then it has introduced a bit of a two way miss which will cause scores to increase in the short term.

Most importantly I had fun hitting balls tonight, and it has been far too long since that was the case.

My practice last night after work was on the course; because they've jacked our greens up and nobody is there at 4:30PM any more. :-(

Anyway, it makes for the perfect shotmaking practice facility. I probably played 36 holes of golf on just the front nine from dropping balls from various yardages and situations.
I put the 910D2 in the trunk and took out the newly acquired RFE 9.5* for a test run. The picture below shows something that just bottled my mind. This might be the straightest I've ever hit a driver.
In this picture, you can see the yellow B330RX. That was a nice, easy swing that went about 238. You might have to zoom in, but the 2nd ball was a X2Hot+, hit with a bit more force, that went about 251.
The third ball, a SuperSoft, was hit with a pretty good amount of effort, and measured at 262. The thing about these three shots, they are all dead center of the fairway. I could almost draw a line from the 200y and 150y markers and cover all three balls. The RFE might not be the longest club in my possession, but it's the damn straightest, right now.
Spoiler
IMAG0447_zpsnglgaw41.jpg

The rest of the afternoon was spent just hitting a bunch of wedge shots from different situations, long irons (my downfall), and measuring out full and 1/2 swings with my wedges.

Also, I sat on a bench and thought about the Gauntlet and told myself that from now on, every shot I take has to be a shot that matters. No more just walking up and hitting shots. I'm going to really try and focus on making each and every shot until this is over count. That means developing at least some sort of a pre-shot routine (lining up better), practice swings (rare now), visualizing and focusing, and calming my head down.

Until now I think I just played golf to play and hit the ball around. Yeah, I want to be better, but I never put that much effort into the 'head' game. After I made this little realization last night, and trying to start putting it in play, I hit some of the best fairway wood shots of my life. Jman, that 5 is still averaging 225, and I like it. I might get the 7 or the Bio hybo to get me out of that 4 iron situation. 200yds is my nemesis.

I'm going to be getting in some range time today for the first time with my speedblades. This work day can't go fast enough

Spoiler alert

Ball fly far

My practice last night after work was on the course; because they've jacked our greens up and nobody is there at 4:30PM any more. :-(

Anyway, it makes for the perfect shotmaking practice facility. I probably played 36 holes of golf on just the front nine from dropping balls from various yardages and situations.
I put the 910D2 in the trunk and took out the newly acquired RFE 9.5* for a test run. The picture below shows something that just bottled my mind. This might be the straightest I've ever hit a driver.
In this picture, you can see the yellow B330RX. That was a nice, easy swing that went about 238. You might have to zoom in, but the 2nd ball was a X2Hot+, hit with a bit more force, that went about 251.
The third ball, a SuperSoft, was hit with a pretty good amount of effort, and measured at 262. The thing about these three shots, they are all dead center of the fairway. I could almost draw a line from the 200y and 150y markers and cover all three balls. The RFE might not be the longest club in my possession, but it's the damn straightest, right now.
Spoiler
IMAG0447_zpsnglgaw41.jpg

The rest of the afternoon was spent just hitting a bunch of wedge shots from different situations, long irons (my downfall), and measuring out full and 1/2 swings with my wedges.

Also, I sat on a bench and thought about the Gauntlet and told myself that from now on, every shot I take has to be a shot that matters. No more just walking up and hitting shots. I'm going to really try and focus on making each and every shot until this is over count. That means developing at least some sort of a pre-shot routine (lining up better), practice swings (rare now), visualizing and focusing, and calming my head down.

Until now I think I just played golf to play and hit the ball around. Yeah, I want to be better, but I never put that much effort into the 'head' game. After I made this little realization last night, and trying to start putting it in play, I hit some of the best fairway wood shots of my life. Jman, that 5 is still averaging 225, and I like it. I might get the 7 or the Bio hybo to get me out of that 4 iron situation. 200yds is my nemesis.

Sounds like you found the magic wand with the big stick! :bomb: Straight is seriously good :thumb:

Sounds like you found the magic wand with the big stick! :bomb: Straight is seriously good :thumb:

I agree, this sounds great. I need to get together with Sean for a round soon to see those straight bombs. Nice going T0AD.

Range will be had today and quite possibly straight from being dropped off from the airport!

Had a nice range session today after a week off due to rain and some back issues. Went through my bag and just reminded myself of the swing thoughts that both Freddie and my instructor have given me. Hit some nice iron shots and was seeing some great flight with my driver and 3W. The hooks from my irons that I had battled last season seem to be a thing of the past (knock on wood). Got some time in with my newly acquired Bio Cell 3i, which might be a tee club for a couple courses here in NJ that have some shorter but tighter par 4s.

I don't know what the cause is or why it's all of a sudden, but I am no longer a "walk up and swing away" kind of player. Before, I could show up to a course, walk up to the range and take a couple nice cuts with a long iron and go right to the first tee. Anymore I feel I have to get completely loose before I even attempt at a full swing. I need to develop a practice routine for the range because I've never had one

I don't know what the cause is or why it's all of a sudden, but I am no longer a "walk up and swing away" kind of player. Before, I could show up to a course, walk up to the range and take a couple nice cuts with a long iron and go right to the first tee. Anymore I feel I have to get completely loose before I even attempt at a full swing. I need to develop a practice routine for the range because I've never had one

Tell me about it. I don't need to hit many balls but I need to stretch for about 30 minutes before I can play now.

Tell me about it. I don't need to hit many balls but I need to stretch for about 30 minutes before I can play now.

It was amazing how poor the swings were before I got warmed up

old age bro!

Played 9 holes, and since it was empty, decided to have a lot of fun. Drop a handful of balls at 150 yards and work on accuracy, work out of bunkers and around the greens a lot. Starting to get more comfortable with the longer irons, which is good, because my game off the tee right now is a shambles.

Had a lesson today, after dealing with sick kids all week. FW's and hypos have been giving me fits lately and I've been struggling with my swing in general the last few weeks. Just when I think I have made progress, I have a bad range session, or couple holes, and it sets me back. I had a feeling I'm still very flat on my backswing, which is throwing everything else off.

Went to the pro at my club instead of the teacher I have been going to because the pro gave me a very good short game lesson last week and the teacher is always booked nowadays.

Yes I'm very flat on my back swing, and am also pulling out of my spine position, lifting up, which all adds up to a nightmare of a swing. He had me keep hands way down at address ala Ryan Moore and lean more towards the ball from the hips, but it felt way too weird. But he also noticed my hands were really far behind me at the top, which I always do. We worked some more and really liked the downswing and how I was dropping in the slot, so he recommended I get one of those plastic thingy things for my wrist, which will hep keep it from laying off. So I got one. It seems to be helping, along with keeping my hands much closer to the target line and going with a shorter backswing, which means not bringing it all the way to parallel with the target line. It likely means not as much distance as I could be getting, but it's more consistent for me and it's enough distance to keep me happy.

Anyways, I'll be working on this for a while. That OC trophy isn't gonna jump in my car by itself.

Just had a great lesson. Nothing earth shattering but worked on some more drills to stop me from the inside.
The takeaway is good he said he is impressed with how much better that is looking. The problem continues to be me dropping down on the inside on the follow through. To avoid that we put a flag stick up behind me. Started off rough but then started to make some really crisp contact...even with divots.
Then of course I stated sliding my body forward along with my head so I started missing right. Gotta work on that.
Also need to work on swinging through the ball and not flippin/scooping at impact.
And of course post lesson I stuck around for another hour and hit balls.

Went in today just signing up for 3 more lessons. But as the lesson progressed and I thought about making sure I don't let down my team in july I resigned up for 6 more...1 a week til the MC. At leat 2 on short game and sand for sure.

My wife called it a father's day gift...I called it my #JourneyToBetter

Went to the range yesterday after work. Lots of wind, blowing right to left. Driver work, not sure how much the wind affected my shots. Then, 30-50 yd pitch shots. Again, not sure how much the wind affected shots. Tough to gauge results with 25-20 mph wind.
Back at it today after work.

Went to the range this morning before the chili and brew festival. Mainly wanted to work on my mindset and confidence during my swing. No BS, just execute the shot. Started off great. Hitting knockdowns and regular shots almost at will. Worked into my 7 iron and then it happened...THE SHANKS!!! WTF! Beat my head against a wall for a while trying to shake them. They were vicious and unrelenting. I went back down to my wedges and hit them well but when I went back to the 7 iron and shank city. Grabbed a hybrid next and after a few rough swings got a feel back. I decided not to hit any more 7 irons and worked on driver instead. Was a good way to finish, as I ripped off a half dozen perfect baby draws and at least finished happy. Those shanks are still in the back of my head, but tomorrow is another day. Must bury the bones of the Shankasaurus Rex.

Went to the range this morning before the chili and brew festival. Mainly wanted to work on my mindset and confidence during my swing. No BS, just execute the shot. Started off great. Hitting knockdowns and regular shots almost at will. Worked into my 7 iron and then it happened...THE SHANKS!!! WTF! Beat my head against a wall for a while trying to shake them. They were vicious and unrelenting. I went back down to my wedges and hit them well but when I went back to the 7 iron and shank city. Grabbed a hybrid next and after a few rough swings got a feel back. I decided not to hit any more 7 irons and worked on driver instead. Was a good way to finish, as I ripped off a half dozen perfect baby draws and at least finished happy. Those shanks are still in the back of my head, but tomorrow is another day. Must bury the bones of the Shankasaurus Rex.
make sure you are not crowding the ball. my last battle with them I had to step almost 6 inches more away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back