The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been practicing this putting drill where you place a practice rod 6" in front of the cup. The idea is to hit the ball hard enough so it hops over the stick and still goes in, instead of hitting the hesitant soft putts that you either leave short or get abused by the break.. It has really helped on 8 footers and in! The added confidence has allowed me to be a lot more aggressive with my putting, and my last two outings have been excellent!

This is definitely something to try if you are like me, and tend to let the nerves sink in on putts 8' and in.

Went and slapped some irons for a bit tonight. Pretty much hit one and watch mike hit a few to see how he is progressing. Getting better with the irons. Hot the altitudes for the first time ever. Such a easy club to swing, should think about a 4 and 5 in these

Decent range session tonight, worked on some tips I got over the weekend from Ted at the Seemore weekend. Hit a large bucket alternating between irons, hybrids and a little work with the driver. Really struggled with the hybrids last weekend so wanted to work things out with that. Swing thoughts are currently: Relax the right elbow at address to better swing around the body and get forward through the ball in the downswing. Took some video of myself also to start tracking progress and do some swing analysis for more focus on my range sessions.

Motivated after last weekend playing with THPers and Seemore coaches to work on the game and simply be better.

Went and slapped some irons for a bit tonight. Pretty much hit one and watch mike hit a few to see how he is progressing. Getting better with the irons. Hot the altitudes for the first time ever. Such a easy club to swing, should think about a 4 and 5 in these
U hit the tudes way better than me that's for sure

Hit em well on the range tonight. Finished last 40 balls or so with Driver and 3W and made some progress as I've been too steep lately.

Haven't been in this thread a hole lot because I've been playing more than practicing lately but I'm longing to get back on the range and chipping/putting green. I've putt the instruction I've gotten from SeeMore right into play and it's paying dividends, but I can't wait to hit the practice green with it and in grain it so I don't have to think about it much anymore.

Lessons are over, swing is somewhat refined and what I have now will have to carry me over through the year. Tomorrow I'll go for an extended range session primarily working on the short irons and from here on out until the end of july it will just be a weekly round with about 3 or 4 range sessions a week fine tuning distances and direction, the insane hook still pops up a little but I think it will go away with a little tweaking.

Love it dude absolutely love it. And will be pretty close to my schedule from here on out as well. I may play a little more, but it will be pretty close to this schedule. I'm looking forward to my last couple of lessons I have coming and just to keep carrying that into my game.

Stoked! Just used a damn golf digest tip and it's like a new swing.
Third bucket coming. More later.
OK, so the mag is at work, but it's the new one with Keegan on it (And a weirdly similar 'music on the course' review).
One of the insets was about balance and getting weight moving forward. I combined three of the tips into one and, BOOM!
It showed instead of 50/50, move a bit of weight to the front foot...maybe 55/45 or a touch more.
I also turned the back foot inward more to get the weight pushed off my toes. And finally, I curled my toes up a bit to keep from falling into the ball on the swing.
It took about ten balls to get the feel for it, but after that, it was just long ball after long ball. It was working so well, my course pro, who I've now known pretty well for a couple years now, came over to chat. He was like, 'dude, you're killing it today'.
I started moving through the bag with this swing; 6i, 5w, AW, and finally, 4i...my nemesis.
I teed up for a 4i go at it and clobbered one high and right down the middle. Then again. And again. And the contact on the club face was as pure as I've felt on that 4i ever.
I pounded out three buckets last night and was pooped. The pool sure felt good when I got home!
#RightDirection

Spent 90 minutes between the secret short game area and the putting green yesterday. Worked on some pelz swings from shorter/tweener distances that have been inconsistent 35,45,55 yards. Then worked out of the rough and to short sided pins for awhile with some different clubs and shots. Putting green was just one ball around the world until it was time to go home.

Spent 90 minutes between the secret short game area and the putting green yesterday. Worked on some pelz swings from shorter/tweener distances that have been inconsistent 35,45,55 yards. Then worked out of the rough and to short sided pins for awhile with some different clubs and shots. Putting green was just one ball around the world until it was time to go home.

Good stuff dude, I know Ive got to work on those 40-60 yard shots as well, as that saved me a few times at the MC last year, but its kinda been BLAH so far this year. Tried to work on it at the range but flag was 88 yards so went at that. Just Hatee in between shots, even at 88 yards I was launching the 56* over it and I wanted 0 part in trying to full swing a 60* to get there. Guess I'll try to avoid that distance like the plague

If I could shake this #Coersitis and get a free minute, I would spend the whole day at the range working on straightening out my driver issues. Hoping to get there tonight. In the mean time, I have been practicing putting and chipping at my house. Better than nothing I suppose.

Walked 9 holes at The local par 3 course yesterday after work. Course was completely empty as it was petty hot and humid, so that allowed me to hit multiple balls, spend time in the rough and bunkers, and put around for a while. Zero blow up holes, the worst score I had was bogey. Iron ball striking is getting better and I'm getting more comfy with my bunker play.

It was close to 90° with 100% humidity yesterday, so I went out and spent a solid two hours at the range hitting a large bucket, working mostly on 3W and hybrid. Some off the deck and tee with the hybrid and all off the tee with the 3W. Was really happy, hit a few stinkers, but overall, the ball was going where I wanted it to go. I then went over to the short game area and worked on some different situations around the green. I worked for quite a bit on a short sided green with a bunker in between shot (HA, rhyming). I know there are going to be situations at True Blue and Caledonia where being able to get out of the sand or out of a precarious position will be useful. Just helps mix up the monotony of doing the same type of chips over and over again.

Rain tonight but league night should be OK tomorrow.

It was close to 90° with 100% humidity yesterday, so I went out and spent a solid two hours at the range hitting a large bucket, working mostly on 3W and hybrid. Some off the deck and tee with the hybrid and all off the tee with the 3W. Was really happy, hit a few stinkers, but overall, the ball was going where I wanted it to go. I then went over to the short game area and worked on some different situations around the green. I worked for quite a bit on a short sided green with a bunker in between shot (HA, rhyming). I know there are going to be situations at True Blue and Caledonia where being able to get out of the sand or out of a precarious position will be useful. Just helps mix up the monotony of doing the same type of chips over and over again.

Rain tonight but league night should be OK tomorrow.
I see you partner!

I have been working diligently on my driver and it seems to be having some payoff... sometimes less is a lot more and it takes me way too long to figure that out too many times. I don't want to jinx myself, but I have driven the ball better in the last 2 rounds than I have in quite some time. It is definitely leaving me optimistic for the months leading up to the Bear Trap.

Had a lesson this morning because my ability to hit driver went to pot-

The flaw was in my swing across the board but I could recover with the driver- I was scissoring with my lower body again- right leg straightening left knee to the ball

This causes me to lift the right heel as I get to parallel with the shaft and I scoop the ball as I stand up/get tall.

We worked on a few drills hitting bare foot and focusing on keeping the right knee bent and weight on the inside of the right foot and driving through the ball at impact while keeping the heel down. I can't do the right knee feel thing, however if I focus on right hip staying put then I make the proper move.

This is gonna be a tough one to break but I have broken every other bad swing habit so I can do this one.

The cool thing about taking lessons and video is that I can immediately see what I'm doing wrong as I learn more hopefully I can remember the fix.

The range session after my lesson was awesome as I was bombing the driver again.

Hmmm barefoot you say? I saw a video with Snead talking about that a long time ago. How'd it work?

Yep only cause I forgot my vibrams at home when I went to work on Monday and went straight to my lesson from work.

It works great cause I can feel everything and really feel where my weight is on my feet that way and it will keep you from getting up on your toes for sure.

Will put that on the list to try out. Been a little slidey in the last week or so.

You will fix your slidey problem real quick barefoot and you also won't overswing

Went to hit a bucket before my 36 hole endeavor this morning. Ended up hitting about 15 balls and walkwd away. Shots were going where I wanted for the most part no need to keep swinging.

Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist Flat left wrist.

Flat left wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hit the practice range prior to my round yesterday and have to say I was quite impressed. The practice facility had a great short game area where I worked on some greenside bunker practice for about 30 mins. I set up with varying lies and stance options to get the most out of the my shot making. The green had several targets with distances from 5ft to 35ft. I have always considered myself a better than average sand player, and wanted to work at different shots than just blasting it out. I left feeling quite confidient should I find myself in those situations. (During my round I actually found myself in two bunkers where I hit the flagstick on one and left myself a 10' on the other. Next i worked on greenside chipping and keeping the ball lower and checking on the second hop. This is a bit different as I have been a player who throws the ball closer to the hole in hopes of stopping it. After my session yesterday I will be making this a priority over the next few weeks.

To close out the session I worked on my driver and keeping the ball in the fairway and away from that wicked fade. I had great results and once again believe it to be one of several things I am doing. Bad habits seem to creep in when I don't focus and repetition will be key for success. This actually carried over to the course where I had a good FIR day.

I went and hit a bucket of balls imagining the alternate shot games. Really focused on drives and 8 irons mostly, if those were the only 2 clubs I needed i'd be a lot better golfer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back