Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

Seriously howard

Wow. Howard got lucky.

Wow. Unreal.

Thank you, Tim Howard.

Is Howard normally this unsteady in goal? To use a hockey analogy, this guy doesn't strike me as being exactly Jonathon Quick.

Is Howard normally this unsteady in goal? To use a hockey analogy, this guy doesn't strike me as being exactly Jonathon Quick.

I'm not a fan of him being back there, but I don't think we have much of an alternative.

Just sad that this should be a 0-0 game if not for a piss poor rookie defensive play.

man you guys are beating on Howard, he is our best goalie

Given Altidore's absence, more legitimate US shots in the half than I was afraid we would see. Still have a chance to get something out of this.

I'm a big supporter of Howard.

Granted, I just watched him play for the first time. My opinion is based solely on his solid beard.

I know! That's the sad part.

I promise you. Howard is one of the more respected keepers in the world. The US second option, Brad Guzan is also really good.

I often wonder if we had our "real" athletes playing this game how badly we would dominate this sport like the others. Call it ill informed, patriotic, or whatever, I tend to see the athletes playing the top physical sports a bit differently and none of them end up playing this sport because they must focus at such an early age with so much money on the line at such a young age.

I often wonder if we had our "real" athletes playing this game how badly we would dominate this sport like the others. Call it ill informed, patriotic, or whatever, I tend to see the athletes playing the top physical sports a bit differently and none of them end up playing this sport because they must focus at such an early age with so much money on the line at such a young age.

It's not really patriotic, as I sat through the first half thinking the exact same thing. Crazy to think how nuts the world is about futbol, and how little of that has translated to North America in comparison.

You're right. The best athletes in most counties play soccer. The 5th or 6th best athletes in the US play soccer.

If kids were smart, the would look at the wages that the top soccer players pull in and stop playing football and all become strikers.

This is true however the funny part is you get real good at soccer and you're gonna make 10 times what any athletes that play an American sport will make.

The amount of money spent in Club soccer in Europe is just disgusting.

As hard as I try I just cannot get into it. I was actively watching for about 20 minutes and then I was done. I don't think that makes me un-American, as I think many are in the same boat as me.

You're right. The best athletes in most counties play soccer. The 5th or 6th best athletes in the US play soccer.

If kids were smart, the would look at the wages that the top soccer players pull in and stop playing football and all become strikers.

I wouldnt even think its remotely close to the 5th or 6th best.
Something tells me half the NBA could be incredible soccer players.
They already flop like them.
Crazy fast. Disciplined.
Think Calvin Johnson would make a decent keeper? His wing span is ridiculous.

Obviously I am simplifying, and it will never happen, but I will agree with Tosh on this one.

As hard as I try I just cannot get into it. I was actively watching for about 20 minutes and then I was done. I don't think that makes me un-American, as I think many are in the same boat as me.

I wonder if that were the case if the US had a top tier soccer player on their squad -- and I mean like... top 3-5 in the world.

The MLS is pretty brutal to watch, but I'll sit down and watch a Barcelona game any day. It's probably 10x more entertaining based on skill alone.

I wouldnt even think its remotely close to the 5th or 6th best.
Something tells me half the NBA could be incredible soccer players.
They already flop like them.
Crazy fast. Disciplined.
Think Calvin Johnson would make a decent keeper? His wing span is ridiculous.

Obviously I am simplifying, and it will never happen, but I will agree with Tosh on this one.

Dude. I fully agree on this. I'm not arguing. I promos. I agree with what you're saying.

Let say for arguments sake. The US World Cup team is the 8th best athletes in the country. We are still a top 15 team in the world.

Each team should get a MLB on their squad that is allowed to just kill people with the ball.
I vote for Ray Lewis.

Back