The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had one my worse range sessions of the year this morning. I'm so screwed up right now. The only club I can hit with any consistency is my driver. Off to see my swing coach. Maybe he straighten me out.

It'll come back around Ken, it always does buddy, especially when you're as solid a ball striker as you are. I know that frustration though.

Had one my worse range sessions of the year this morning. I'm so screwed up right now. The only club I can hit with any consistency is my driver. Off to see my swing coach. Maybe he straighten me out.

Don't get frustrated. You'll get it back. Just need to keep swinging.

Keep the short game practice going as well. When you find your swing you'll be hitting on all cylinders.

#DoWorkDotCom

Short game work yhis afternoon, pitches/chips to a pin on the practice green and then putt out the balls from where they landed. Spent two hours doing this, was really happy with how it went

ynu4yde4.jpg

Short game work yhis afternoon, pitches/chips to a pin on the practice green and then putt out the balls from where they landed. Spent two hours doing this, was really happy with how it went

ynu4yde4.jpg
You're gonna be money around the greens Brad!

Frustrated from my range session yesterday. Recently I've developed a monster pull-hook. The ball flight is often low as well. I've experimented with weaker/stronger grips, trying to swing more over the top, but haven't seen any difference. Here's a video:

In the video I'm hitting an 18 degree hybrid. All I know is something is causing me to close the clubface at impact, because when I consciously try to force my right wrist from turning over, it will go straight. However I'm pretty sure there's some other issue at play here, since I've never had to worry about my hands/wrists in the past (I just grip it properly and let them do their thing).

Any ideas?

I will join the other guys in saying to post this over in the thread with Freddie to look at. I recently have fought a hook when not getting my weight over onto the left side in the takeaway--just getting overly inside trun and the ball just hooks--when I get back onto the left with my weight and shift properly It goes away--but this is just from another hacker who may or may not have the same issues, so when in doubt go to the Panda!

Did a couple hours of work today on the range. Lots of pitch shots with my 58 - 8i. It was a windy cuss today, so keeping the ball low was at a premium.

Hit a lot of long and mid-iron shots as well. With a different move from the top I needed to gain some confidence with the 4-6. It was a bit trying on my patience, but I made progress. I do like squaring the face earlier in swinging left. No more hooks!!

I hit about 30 balls with the driver with mixed results. I was a bit tired by the time I got around to it and it showed. Lots if armsy swings, but I did hit some solid shots when I really focused on the task at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the sign at the bank said it was 100* as I drove to the range. I think it really was, as I thought I would melt.
I could only hit about three balls before wiping off my face and hands.
Side Note: The utx grips held up great!!

Still, I hit a bucket, and hit some really, really nice shots. I did finally confirm that my 56 and 60 only have about a five yard difference in them. Weird, but true. I'll have it checked when I go to my appointment with Dana Upshaw Thursday.

5 iron, 5W, and driver were all running at about 95% so I'm happy.
Did some chipping, too, then it just got stupid hot.

Lesson 9 tonight.

Heard the words I've waited for some time to hear..."the swing is there buddy" from my instructor I wanted to cry.
.basically now it's a matter of keeping the head still and finishing through the ball holding that back foot up on the follow though. He said on occasion I was coming inside but it was ever so slightly it wouldn't be too penal if it happens now and then.

The 7 iron felt good today just gotta stick with the plan. Then we tinkered around with some wedges from 65 to 85 out and then finished hitting hybrids. Afterwards we setup the remaining 3 lessons before the mc which will go predominantly to short game work for the most part.

I stuck around and hit some more balls and of course it wasn't as good as when he was thete. But once I regrouped and regained my focus I made solid contact.

Then I ventured over to the short game area to see how things were going. Really wanted to work on turning through the swing and low and behold when I did I made good contact. Gotta work on the touch shots some more as I was running them by more times than I'd like but whatever I was happy with the contact.

Next lesson is next Thursday so lots of range work between now and then.

Nice Mike!!

Atta boy 441

Good stuff Brad, Adam, Toad & 441. Hey v.man don't sweat it. We all have those days where we lose the swing. Get back out there soon!

I had an "oh no" range session tonight. You know the kind where you walk to your spot, drop the bag and bucket of balls, and realize oh no this range is into a 15-20 mph wind tonight!! I tried to make the best of it and hit mostly knockdown shots. Teed up the driver lower than usual but that was more difficult to bring down.

Hoping to play 18 Thursday after work. Also trying a new swing instructor at the Jim Mclean school in Doral on Friday morning.

Almost two months away from #theGauntlet!

Solid night at the range tonight. My swing is getting more and more consistent. I'm finally learning to the let the hands work and slowly getting rid of the weak held-off fade with which I've lived most of my life.

Lesson last night was a decent one. We didn't get too technical. Worked some more on setup and then did a number of older drills to get my tempo and sequencing a little tighter.

Main setup change was moving off the ball. I've known this for a little while and have been working on it on my own, but just recently decided to commit to the practice. Not something I wanted to take to the course quite yet though. No exaggeration when I say I was probably 4-5 inches too close to the ball. Most will think that's going to cause the shankletons, but it wasn't really the case. Just not enough room to move and turn without raising my hands. Of course the issue is that being the correct distance just feels very very odd at first. It has come around though in practice and by the end of the lesson was much more comfortable.

Sequencing was just to keep the hands from making the first move to the ball and letting the hips lead. Trying to really drive through the ball with the lower body. Gained some yards back I'd seen slowly whittled away in the last week or two.

In all, nothing groundbreaking or new. Just some little things to clean up the swing as best as possible leading up to the end of the month. Last lesson will be in two weeks.

How many more you doing before MC Hawk?

How many more you doing before MC Hawk?

Just one more before the event. Probably on the 16th or something like that. Just to make a loose plan of what to try to focus on the week of the event. Build a little confidence. I left last night feeling better than I did on Sunday, which was a decent round for me. If I could just take half my range game to the course I could see a pretty good improvement in score lol.

Just one more before the event. Probably on the 16th or something like that. Just to make a loose plan of what to try to focus on the week of the event. Build a little confidence. I left last night feeling better than I did on Sunday, which was a decent round for me. If I could just take half my range game to the course I could see a pretty good improvement in score lol.
U and me both...I'm at least down to a 8 index based on range shots

Anyone have any suggestions for practice exercises that can be done indoors? I have limited space, and low ceilings. Currently limited to putting practice, and I just can't wrap my head around what else I could do indoors to fill the rainy/windy/stormy hours.

Anyone have any suggestions for practice exercises that can be done indoors? I have limited space, and low ceilings. Currently limited to putting practice, and I just can't wrap my head around what else I could do indoors to fill the rainy/windy/stormy hours.

Could get yourself a little medicine ball and practice tossing it (without actually letting go).
Put a club against your chest and work on your turn.
Slo-mo swings in the mirror.

Slow motion full swings. Really slow. I loved it during the winter and still do it if my swing is really off. Also, get some whiffle golf balls and practice chipping/bump and runs.

Had a lesson yesterday and we worked on the downswing. I still lay off coming back from time to time, but re-focusing on where the club handle is at all times helps with it. The big issue is I'm releasing early and it seems like I get away from that only when I have a certain tempo i.e. not rushing the downswing at all.

My pro gave me this drill to do that seemed impossible for me at first. He took an impact bag and placed it a couple feet behind the ball, then placed a ball marker a few inches in front of the ball. I had to take the club back by going outside the bag, then completely miss it on my downswing, then hit the ball and tee marker. I literally couldn't do it for the first 15 swings, but then I focused on pulling the butt end of the club at the ball and started doing it every time. So I then went to the LM and was hitting the ball with a lot more compression and distance. As such, it will be a drill I will do frequently.

I played much better at the OC Invitational and the other rounds than I have at a THP event in the past, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I know what I need to work on, so time to get back to grinding.

Had a lesson yesterday and we worked on the downswing. I still lay off coming back from time to time, but re-focusing on where the club handle is at all times helps with it. The big issue is I'm releasing early and it seems like I get away from that only when I have a certain tempo i.e. not rushing the downswing at all.

My pro gave me this drill to do that seemed impossible for me at first. He took an impact bag and placed it a couple feet behind the ball, then placed a ball marker a few inches in front of the ball. I had to take the club back by going outside the bag, then completely miss it on my downswing, then hit the ball and tee marker. I literally couldn't do it for the first 15 swings, but then I focused on pulling the butt end of the club at the ball and started doing it every time. So I then went to the LM and was hitting the ball with a lot more compression and distance. As such, it will be a drill I will do frequently.

I played much better at the OC Invitational and the other rounds than I have at a THP event in the past, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I know what I need to work on, so time to get back to grinding.
Keep at it Chris, you have a great swing, with a bit of work you will be deadly

Is that in a figure 8 shape? Or some other shape?

Is that in a figure 8 shape? Or some other shape?

The impact bag or swing? No for both. Taking it outside the impact just ensures I don't take the club to the inside and since the bag is directly behind the ball it simply helps with an out to in swing.

The range is such a fickle beast.

I went there today to try to work out some issues—I've been really strugging on par 3s, so I was trying to simulate a short par-3 with some hazards.

For six swings, I found it. Hit all six on my "green," all within about five yards of each other. For six swings, I felt like I could have hit it into the bed of a moving truck. But then I lost it, and found it one more time before switching clubs.

did 30 mins at the range pre-round just warm up. Played 18, but got sloppy on the back 9 a bit, so went to do some intense range work after the round found a big fix with the driver that has just been off lately with a draw hook that I was just playing it as part of the setup--finally got back to my old drives and realized my error in letting the upper body take over the swing. After tiring out on the driver fix, I spent another hour just chipping and pitching using only 2 of the gamer Z star XV balls. Finished off with some putting and then headed out. Very productive day today as I had goals at each practice game I was doing and would meet that goal and then do another challenge. It helped keep me fresh and making choices versus just 50 balls from the same spot that does very little for developing touch and distance control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back