Contest #1 - 2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

Pay attention, junior, as I am the ZooCrew captain.

My point is this:

Same strategy coupled with same tactics will deliver the same results. I am honestly asking what each of YOU will be doing differently to prepare should you be picked for the event...

I missed this question yesterday. What will I be doing differently if picked for the event? First off, playing golf after October..haha But seriously, actually practicing and making sure my game is where it needs to be. This would be an extension of the Morgan Cup for me as I will just continue on the path I am heading on now. Funny enough, golf is WAY more fun when you dont suck terribly at it. Who would have thought that?

You have to flip that switch and get in hyper focused/ruthless competitor mode. That is what I am good at in a match play setting.

You have to flip that switch and get in hyper focused/ruthless competitor mode. That is what I am good at in a match play setting.

FWIW, that does not work in this type of event. I can guarantee it. The ruthless competitor wont last long at #TheGrandaddy

FWIW, that does not work in this type of event. I can guarantee it. The ruthless competitor wont last long at #TheGrandaddy
It depends on the person and their mindset.

Brother, I say this with all due respect. It does not work in this type of event regardless of the person. Anybody that was there last year would be the 1st to tell you that.

Brother, I say this with all due respect. It does not work in this type of event regardless of the person. Anybody that was there last year would be the 1st to tell you that.

Agreed 100% as someone who was there

I honestly have no idea what it will take to bring down the Zoo crew, but I believe that Capt. Cookie does, and will put in all the hard work needed to prepare for such a great event. I will continue doing what I have been doing, as well as anything else that might be needed to bring it to the next level. I'd even get some lessons--whatever it takes to support Capt. Cookie and the #basementdwellers

What I have been doing is playing smarter, yet still aggressively, with increasingly better results. I'm never going to shrink a course with my withering drives, but I will continue to work on cutting the course to pieces with my stock, nearly dead straight shots. I will also spend even more time at the practice hole working on getting up and down from nearly anywhere--which I believe is what separates all levels of golfers.

To echo a bit of what has already been said I think that having a better understanding of is to be expected in The Granddaddy II will be a big help. The first time is always a feeling out process and while the teams maybe different I think we all have are more clued in on what to expect. It is gonna take more than just pounding balls on the range and playing. I, for one, have never been in a match play scenario with much on the line so I would be trying to get myself into some rounds of that nature to try to get a feel for the pressure. It won't be the same, but it would be a start. The other thing is to try and bond with your teammates as much as possible. It can be a disadvantage since we are scattered out all over the place, but I think that it would be a key. Very similar to what the guys do to prepare for the Morgan Cup.

my approach would be to work har with my local pro to get a bit better before the event, but once there, just soak it all in and enjoy, I had my first shot at match play with big stakes a few weeks ago, and I did much better when I just enjoyed myself and didnt lookt too much at the scores.

smile away, it will psyche them out :)

Please see my quote in this thread. The atmosphere is one of friendly competition and fun. If you go in as the "ruthless competitor", you will have violated Rules 1-3, and it won't be appreciated. It's competition, but you're a guest. Callaway is paying for everything starting at dollar 1. As their guest, they'd have every right to send you home for taking things too seriously. But, I was there... I went through the event... What do I know, but a lot. If you can't play competitive golf with buddies for bragging rights, ribbing each other the whole way, without getting all serious, it might not be the best event to enter.

Everyone thinks practicing is gonna be enough I know people put work in last year and it still wasn't enough. So I wonder what else can be done besides putting together better pairings. There were people playing that certainly aren't slouches. I dunno if the pressure got to them but I also know the Callaway guys are fun to play with so maybe they took the competitiveness out of the round since it seems like a normal THPer round.

Everyone thinks practicing is gonna be enough I know people put work in last year and it still wasn't enough. So I wonder what else can be done besides putting together better pairings. There were people playing that certainly aren't slouches. I dunno if the pressure got to them but I also know the Callaway guys are fun to play with so maybe they took the competitiveness out of the round since it seems like a normal THPer round.

There are lots of things I think some would do differently.
Playing outside of their comfort zone to test their handicap number would be the number one recommended thing I have a feeling.
Its no secret that most that come to THP Events, shoot a bit higher than their number. I have never attributed that to someone being dishonest, but more about stepping out of the comfort zone. I challenged MCers to do just that, several months ago. And while most didn't take me up on it, those that did saw exactly what I was speaking of.

I think pairings both from a handicap and strength/weaknesses is crucial. Need a solid idea of who is getting/giving strokes (and where) to know how to setup the teams so that they can feed off each other. I'm quite excited to see team #BasementDwellers grow, fun 5 months ahead of us.

Steady Eddie wins the race. You are correct

I've talked to #cookie quite a bit about things that he can change from a captaining standpoint now that we know some things.

People saw the end score, but the matches weren't all blowouts. We were tied after the first round, got a little knocked around on the shortened second round, and then Sunday was a bit of a blowout. Those guys played their a$$es off though. And really, saying the pairings were inherently bad isn't really the case either, though I know the zoocrew likes to burn me for that one. Fair enough though. In a handicapped event some could have been structured better, but you also have to remember that in over four years of THP events we'd never done a handicapped event. It's completely different strategy, which I found out the hard way. My bad on that end, but for what it's worth - the round that I really tried to play the handicap game was the one we got beat the worst though. It's golf and crap happens.

All I know is I'm going to take the advice of those much wiser than me in this thread and I'm going to try and put the work in on and off the course, there has been so much great insight here that would be a shame to disregard.

I think Harry has asked a great question and hope it motivates those picked to think outside the box. To find new ways to challenge their game. Extra range time, lessons, short game sessions, etc only go so far.

Find new challenging courses to play and play the ball down and finish every hole. Maybe sign up for some local events to feel the pressure of posting a score versus your weekend game with buddies. Go back a set of tees or forward even and challenge different aspects of your game. To name a few...

My biggest regret going into #theking was not doing all that I could to learn about grain on the greens. It's something I have very little experience with to that extent and it got in my head a bit during the tournament. I hit the ball pretty darn well considering we still had snow on the ground up here and I was recovering from a near fatal illness. I know I could have got my team several more points if I could have had a half a clue on the greens. I thought about that for a while post tournament and well obviously still do.

There are lots of things I think some would do differently.
Playing outside of their comfort zone to test their handicap number would be the number one recommended thing I have a feeling.
Its no secret that most that come to THP Events, shoot a bit higher than their number. I have never attributed that to someone being dishonest, but more about stepping out of the comfort zone. I challenged MCers to do just that, several months ago. And while most didn't take me up on it, those that did saw exactly what I was speaking of.

I like what you say here JB. I've been trying to get out to different courses to expose me to a variety of layouts, terrain, etc. My "home" course is pretty wide open so it can make you get lax. Because of that I have been mixing it up, going to tighter tree-lined courses in the area. It forces my focus and I bring that back to my home course. This along with my practice routines in prep for The Gauntlet have been driving me since the Spring. I'll stay on track in hopes of a bid at The Dos.

I've talked to #cookie quite a bit about things that he can change from a captaining standpoint now that we know some things.

People saw the end score, but the matches weren't all blowouts. We were tied after the first round, got a little knocked around on the shortened second round, and then Sunday was a bit of a blowout. Those guys played their a$$es off though. And really, saying the pairings were inherently bad isn't really the case either, though I know the zoocrew likes to burn me for that one. Fair enough though. In a handicapped event some could have been structured better, but you also have to remember that in over four years of THP events we'd never done a handicapped event. It's completely different strategy, which I found out the hard way. My bad on that end, but for what it's worth - the round that I really tried to play the handicap game was the one we got beat the worst though. It's golf and crap happens.
My recollection is that many of the ZooCrew played better than their handicaps. That's really hard to do, so good for them. My impression was that many of the THPrs worked on their game and perhaps lowered their caps, then didn't play to that number. That's more normal. But it also reflects that THP doesn't normally play handicapped events...we are used to trying to get our game perfected by the time an event rolls around so we can take on better players heads up. In this one I think it pays not to lower your number but instead to peak at exactly the right time. I think knowing its a handicapped event should help the wise THPr this time around.

My recollection is that many of the ZooCrew played better than their handicaps. That's really hard to do, so good for them. My impression was that many of the THPrs worked on their game and perhaps lowered their caps, then didn't play to that number. That's more normal. But it also reflects that THP doesn't normally play handicapped events...we are used to trying to get our game perfected by the time an event rolls around so we can take on better players heads up. In this one I think it pays not to lower your number but instead to peak at exactly the right time. I think knowing its a handicapped event should help the wise THPr this time around.

Ahhhh sorry but I can't stand that type of thinking. Dialing in your handicap for a handicap event irks me :)

Having it accurately reflect your game is another thing. Posting true scores (correct maxes, correct penalties, no foot wedges, etc) and putting out for example.

Ahhhh sorry but I can't stand that type of thinking. Dialing in your handicap for a handicap event irks me :)

Having it accurately reflect your game is another thing. Posting true scores and putting out for example.

I think that playing your best golf at the time of the event is important. More important than being your lowest cap two months before. That isn't a bad thing. That is peaking at the right time.

Having it accurately reflect your game is another thing. Posting true scores (correct maxes, correct penalties, no foot wedges, etc) and putting out for example.
You are completely misunderstanding my post. I am not and would never advocate for sandbagging.

I think that playing your best golf at the time of the event is important. More important than being your lowest cap two months before. That isn't a bad thing. That is peaking at the right time.

Correct but your handicap should reflect that if your playing and posting. It is the 10 best of your most recent 20...

All I know is I'm going to take the advice of those much wiser than me in this thread and I'm going to try and put the work in on and off the course, there has been so much great insight here that would be a shame to disregard.
I'm right there with you. THP reps worked their butts off last year and this wisdom, polished and shared by those with that experience, will no doubt prove one of the greatest keys to victory for Cookie and whomever joins him on the quest. #basementdwellers.

Some great thoughts in here.

I think getting out to different courses, playing the ball down, and finishing every putt is crucial to prepping for an event like this.
Learning the ups and downs of Match Play is essential. I was shocked to feel how wide the fairway seemed when I had a few point lead, and how freaking narrow it seemed when I was down.
Also, managing excitement is huge. I remember at The King my opponent was a couple up and we were both in the fairway. He chunked an iron so my blood starts to pump seeing my opportunity...until I chunked one too.

Back