Iron HeadCovers - Question for the guys that don't use them

I use them, but I am considering pulling them. Half my bag are woods/hybrids so those have to stay. And I have been known to drop a head cover now and then. I may give it a try the next round and see what I think.

Tried it out last night, heard no chatter at all. Because I have so many hybrids, I am able to set my bag up so that the irons can be separated by the other head covers. But I did find it notable (in a good way) during the round not to be dealing with the iron head covers.

I think I'll put them on when the bag is shipped anywhere. Otherwise I'll keep them off for now.

Last edited:
I have never used them, but have a few friends that do. It seems like every 3 or 4 rounds we have to go back to find a headcover they have lost.

I will play golf with JB for the first time sometime in the next 365 days.....yes, yes, I will.

Iron covers - not for me. I want battle scars on my weapons.

Not a fan of the looks and don't want to deal with the hassle of taking the covers on and off. The chatter is something I am willing to deal with.
Exactly what I was going to post

I'm not rich and was taught to look after my things and as such use head covers. My irons still look new and in happy with that. I don't play any slower than anyone else and quite frankly believe the whole slow play thing is ridiculous. You want to see slow play? Try playing with a 20+ handicapper who insists on using his laser range finder for every shot, then testing the wind and taking heaps of practice swings only to shank the ball into the bushes, miss short, top it, hit it fat etc etc etc. That's not an attack on high handicap players by the way.
Them amp cell pros your bagging are some sweet sticks. I'd protect them bad boys with neoprene as well....especially where shaft meets ferrule and with them expensive and rad kbs stock shafts it's an amazing combo. Nice set....I'd protect them as well.

I don't think I would. To me irons are built to be used and abused. The little dings from chatter won't affect performance one iota.

But I believe getting all the dings and dents on woods/hybrids, with faces as thin as they are now, and putters will affect performance. That's why I always keep a cover on those clubs.
abused. Ouch...I would never purposely abuse my gear.

abused. Ouch...I would never purposely abuse my gear.

You don't hit the ground with your irons? They are the only clubs in your bag built to do that. I'm not saying I am walking around hitting everything with my irons.

Iron headcovers keep the back of iron heads nice and clean, which is awesome to look at, except the fact that they are completely covered by iron... headcovers...

I just couldn't be bothered, I guess. Would never mock someone for using them, I just personally think your protecting something you can't see.

I don't think I would. To me irons are built to be used and abused. The little dings from chatter won't affect performance one iota.

But I believe getting all the dings and dents on woods/hybrids, with faces as thin as they are now, and putters will affect performance. That's why I always keep a cover on those clubs.

Agreed GregDan. The Apex are the workhorse of my bag. They are the clubs we use to get out of weird lies and can occasionally get a nick or two in them. Iron covers just aren't for me when on the course. Maybe for travel they can be useful to avoid that damage, but on course they are more of a nuisance than anything for me. But hey, if you like em, use em. See plenty of people use them around.

Iron headcovers keep the back of iron heads nice and clean, which is awesome to look at, except the fact that they are completely covered by iron... headcovers...

I just couldn't be bothered, I guess. Would never mock someone for using them, I just personally think your protecting something you can't see.

My take precisely.

That's how it was for me after getting my new irons, wanted to keep them perfect. After a few rounds and normal wear I'm tired of taking the damn things on and off and the mint look I was going for is always covered and I never see it lol.

Down here in New Zealand i would say at least 1/3 of golfers use iron covers which seems to be a much higher % than you guys in the USA.

Why not?

I've heard that chatter happens. That it adds character. And so on. If that's the case why do you headcover your Woods, Hybrids, and Putter?

Personally I don't use them either and the biggest reason has always been I hated the look of iron headcovers and I played cast stainless irons. With me about to pull the trigger on some forged clubs though (Apex) I thought I might look around again. Lo and behold I found these gorgeous things!

il_570xN.526170764_8wtd.jpg

So if you could find head covers that suited your eye like these do to mine would you start using them?
My irons arent painted and dont make the clinking sound that my woods do when they rattle together.
As for those iron covers, I still wouldnt use them because I think theyre ugly. Im sure theyre great if youre a cowboy but theyre not for me.

I used iron covers for a little while when I first got my irons. But I wanted to see my irons, not the covers. So off they went, and never came back. Don't need them.

However leave them off your hybrids, woods, driver and you start chipping the paint. Different story with irons.

You don't hit the ground with your irons? They are the only clubs in your bag built to do that. I'm not saying I am walking around hitting everything with my irons.

You don't hit the ground with your hybrids and fairway woods?

Whether someone chooses to use them or not doesn't matter to me. Using HCs became more of a habit for me, when I started cycling thru sets a decade ago. Found I got much better resale value by using the covers, so stuck with it. One exception... Can't seem to put covers on Ping irons.

I used to use them. Now, I don't bother. I find myself moving to carrying less and less. Still cover the woods and putter. Nothing against them, just can't be bothered.

Not a fan either, in fact when I used to use them a long time ago I ended up losing a couple anyways. They are more trouble than they are worth. I think we use them on drivers/fw's etc because they are more fragile and likely to get damaged than irons.

Honestly, I don't use iron head covers because I think they are a PITA to use. Not only that, but at some point I'd probably lose one.

Having said that, it doesn't bother me one bit if people I'm playing with use them. I don't buy the slow play argument at all as Bulldog uses iron covers and he's one of the fastest players I've played with.

I have never used them, nor do I see myself ever using them. I have nothing against the ones who do use them, they just aren't for me.

If I played forged clubs I might use covers just cuz I am super OCD, but with cast there is no need.
I always put my headcovers back on my woods/hybrids/putter after every shot/use because they are more easily damaged.

People use them on woods because of the way woods are painted and finished. Irons have no crown that can be dented or scratched, and generally speaking, are not coated in paint.

A good old iron hc brawl brings out the best in everybody.

Back