Creative or Straight forward; what kind of player are you?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
As I sit and watch The Open, I ma structure by the quality of creative shots these guys hit. I know some will say they are pros and should hit these shots, you'd be correct. But some play much better when they have to improvise and others are just point A to point B type players.

I started thinking about my game and I am more of a creative player and play really well when I have to improvise during the round. Straight forward chip shots for example don't fair as well as the short sided touch chips. I thinks I hit closer when I am having to work the ball to a flag, hit around or under something. Middle of the fairway produces good shots, just not barn burners.

So what kind of player are you? Do you thrive on creativity or rise to the occasion when it is right in front of you.

I'm usually pretty straight forward. But when playing well I like to get really creative off the tee. I also hit some really creative recovery shots from under/behind/in a tree.

I would fall into this category: rise to the occasion when it is right in front of you

I can be creative around the greens if needed but I have no creativity off the tee or irons into the greens (no creativity nor ability). I take what the course gives me and try not to press the issue.

I think I am a solid mix of both at the moment. I do think harder shots take a little more focus which helps in the execution. I have worked hard this year to be a little more creative and make smarter choices when am in those situations.

I play best when I get creative. Stay loose and have fun with it. If I try to get straight forward I tend to start taking everything too seriously.

Try to keep the ball in play.

When I try to get "Cute" bad things happen.
I just stick to playing the shots that I do have.

I am straight forward and play whatever is in front of me, I have the shots in my bag when it's time to be creative but I like fairways and greens.

Pretty much straight forward for the most part. Frequently, my tee game does cause me to go into the creativity mode. I have been experimenting a lot lately though with different kinds of shots around the green to improve my short game.

I have changed through the years from creative to, now, pretty straight-forward. For me, the change has to do with the courses I play now- pretty much flat, elevated greens with little undulation, not much creativity demanded by the courses. In college, playing mountain golf in NC, and courses around SE Michigan growing-up, creativity was a must because of the layouts and shot options. Anyway, straight-forward now.

It's hard enough for me to get to ball to go straight when I want to. I am a straight forward player, creative shots can be done but are probably successful 10% of the time when the occasion presents itself. Take my medicine and get back to my game. Around the green is an exception to this, I like me some flop shots.

As I sit and watch The Open, I ma structure by the quality of creative shots these guys hit. I know some will say they are pros and should hit these shots, you'd be correct. But some play much better when they have to improvise and others are just point A to point B type players.

I started thinking about my game and I am more of a creative player and play really well when I have to improvise during the round. Straight forward chip shots for example don't fair as well as the short sided touch chips. I thinks I hit closer when I am having to work the ball to a flag, hit around or under something. Middle of the fairway produces good shots, just not barn burners.

So what kind of player are you? Do you thrive on creativity or rise to the occasion when it is right in front of you.

Having played with you a bunch dude I have seen you get up and down from some stuff when I thought I had you on the ropes lol, you pulled it out of your arse haha. I miss those matches!

I'm a boring player. Try to hit the fairway, fire at the green...if I try to get creative baaaaad things happen.

I think I'm a mixture of both. I prefer to be straightforward off of the tee and on the approach, but my best rounds have come when I've played loose and come up with some creative up and downs from varying lies.

I try to be straight forward. I'm usually just a train wreck waiting to happen

Straight forward point A to point B for me. I just try to play what is in front of me.

JM

I'm a mix I like to play straight forward unless I'm near the green then I like to use the contours of the green to my advantage.

My old tee game made me be way more creative than I liked at times but hitting fairways more often has eliminated some of that necessity.

I would say I like to play straight forward but as I am getting better and starting to be able to hit some shots I am enjoying being able to get more creative.

I would fall into this category: rise to the occasion when it is right in front of you

I can be creative around the greens if needed but I have no creativity off the tee or irons into the greens (no creativity nor ability). I take what the course gives me and try not to press the issue.
This is me virtually to a tee.

My plan is straightforward, but the reality is anything but. I have learned to enjoy the adversity that my game incorporates, and to use my imagination to keep my scoring at least tolerable most of the time.

Straight forward. I can hit specific shots when I need to, but I much prefer the general fairways and greens game to trying to shape something in somewhere.

Creative or Straight fooward; what kind of player are you?

Creative or Straight fooward; what kind of player are you?

I'm a straightforward player by intention, creative player by necessity.

Last edited:
I try to be straight forward but most time end up being creative

straight forward for me. I like to keep it simple.

I'd like to be more of a straight forward player but often find a need to be creative. I actually seem to focus more and am able to pull off the curve/flop/spin shot when I need to but would prefer not to need those shots so often.

Back