Playing 36 are you a grazer or a stop and eat person?

TNTCigarguy

2014 #THPMC @TntCigarguy
Reaction score
Handicap
Cigars
When getting together with my friends we play 36 holes a lot. And with the MC coming up this weekend and some long days ahead I have been thinking what do you do to keep your energy up on the course?

Do you prefer to eat a bunch of small things on the course like energy bars and fruit? Or do you prefer to sit down between the 18s and eat a nice meal? Or are you the junk food king and will just crush hotdogs and chips all day?

Myself I prefer to eat a bunch of small meals through out the day so I do not feel bogged down. PB&J is always a favorite along with protein bars and fruit. I also keep some electrolyte packs in my bag to add into my water.

I'm a grazer no doubt about it

When getting together with my friends we play 36 holes a lot. And with the MC coming up this weekend and some long days ahead I have been thinking what do you do to keep your energy up on the course?

Do you prefer to eat a bunch of small things on the course like energy bars and fruit? Or do you prefer to sit down between the 18s and eat a nice meal? Or are you the junk food king and will just crush hotdogs and chips all day?

Myself I prefer to eat a bunch of small meals through out the day so I do not feel bogged down. PB&J is always a favorite along with protein bars and fruit. I also keep some electrolyte packs in my bag to add into my water.
I prefer to eat an occasional healthy snack throughout the round - almonds or an energy bar - and a sandwich type meal between rounds.

Last edited:
I always snack and drink plenty of water, that is all I really want when playing18, 27 or 36.

I've done both. Depends on the day really. Hot weather = stop. Cloudy and cool = keep er going.

Grazer for sure. Would want a good amount food throughout but never want to get too weighed down.

Grazer for sure. Anytime I sit down for a lunch between rounds, I'm always antsy to get back out onto the course and I eat way too fast.

I like to eat breakfast before I play and then just snack. Coming out after a heavy meal doesn't always sit well especially in the heat

Definitely a grazer between rounds - don't want to weigh myself down with heavy food, I'll end up playing worse.

Honestly it doesn't matter to me. I've done it both ways. I do try and keep food and energy drinks in the bag though.

How much time is there between rounds? If it's a matter of minutes, graze. If I have a few hours, then I will eat something more substantial.

I've played 36 many times and I've found it best for me to stop and eat a good meal between rounds. On those days I'll always have some snacks with me to munch on, but I need something resembling a meal as well. I'm not talking about going in and sitting down to an hour lunch, but a burger or sandwich with a short break goes a long way for me. I hate eating a meal between shots as I'm riding along unless it's absolutely necessary so I prefer a short break.

Grazer for me, without a doubt. I like to have lots of gatorade/arnold palmer and some snacks. Fruits, granola bars, things like that. Usually later in the round if I need a pick me up I'll grab a candy bar for a little sugar rush.

I'm a grazer. I always have almonds, granola bars, beef jerky, bananas and nunn tablets in my bag. If it's going to be a long day, I'll throw a peanut butter and jelly or two in there as well.

Depends on the turnaround time, and also how I played that first 18. If I played well, keep the foot on the gas. If I played like crap, the sit down is good to take your mind off of the trainwreck the first 18 was and get back into a cool state of mind.

Grazer for sure if i stopped the rounds would feel slower and i hate playing slow

Fruit and protein bars for me too, to big a meal at the turn after 18 makes me sluggish.

I know people who think it's perfectly normal to stop at the turn and sit down for a dog or burger when only playing 18, which I find a bit odd. As for me, I like to keep it going. Once I stop, it's hard to get going again. That usually means a hot dog to go when playing 36. Just snacking along the way for 18.

18, I just snack but 36, I'd stop and eat between rounds.

I'm an eater, if time permits I will stop and eat lunch.

Always have snacks, happy to just keep playing.

Depends on the turnaround time, and also how I played that first 18. If I played well, keep the foot on the gas. If I played like crap, the sit down is good to take your mind off of the trainwreck the first 18 was and get back into a cool state of mind.
Definitely this.

I'm a grazer for sure. Almonds, granola bars, fruit. And if playing over lunch or 36, I'll have a wrap or sandwich to have in there somewhere. Though usually just eat it a few bites at a time, not in one sitting.

Grazer. Jerky, pepperoni, Clif bars, Builders bars, almonds or peanuts and raisins, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, something every 3 or 4 holes. I do the same when playing 18 too.

Back