Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

dinner that night was so cool. Very nice of Bob to surprise us with some food and drinks. He just kept saying how much he loves when our group(meaning THP) comes down to this area. I believe Cookie ended up giving him one of the Burger Headcovers.

Oh and I want to add this. Year in and year out, True Blue has been just one fantastic and welcoming place for this event. Caledonia on the other hand was just always a little different. Not this year. Everyone at Caledonia couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming during the times I was there. It was great to see.

Now that Bob is the GM covering both courses, I'm not surprised to see the service levels improve at Caledonia.

Great to see as it was the only thing amiss the last few years.

Dan is so freaking talented. Except when it comes to being a member of the paparazzi.

dinner that night was so cool. Very nice of Bob to surprise us with some food and drinks. He just kept saying how much he loves when our group(meaning THP) comes down to this area. I believe Cookie ended up giving him one of the Burger Headcovers.

Oh and I want to add this. Year in and year out, True Blue has been just one fantastic and welcoming place for this event. Caledonia on the other hand was just always a little different. Not this year. Everyone at Caledonia couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming during the times I was there. It was great to see.

I was wondering who did that because I saw it by in the True Blue Pro Shop front and center by the counter.

It's hard to put into words how one of my favorite people tells stories, but if pictures could speak, I hope these offer some justice. He had Parshooter36 and AMart absolutely rolling. (early apologies for the arctic legs, I wasn't trying to be super obvious while capturing greatness)

Wicked cool bearded man, you are one of the greats.

je2u5aha.jpg

usu2usuv.jpg

de9a9aje.jpg

enyme8a5.jpg

ahe2y7yq.jpg
WCBM provided a much needed laugh and distraction Saturday night. Absolute hilarity!!!!

Well tried to post my recap, but it was too long. I gotta break it into two posts when I get home from work tonight.

Awesome reading all the little notes as the day goes on.

I'm going to go completely out of order, but shouldn't matter. I want to recap the matches before I forget little details.

Round 1 was mikedean441 & Hawk vs vman & mpeterson

Admittedly, there are parts of this match that I struggle to remember, if that tells you where my mind was with all the craziness going on. I do know that Mike and I felt like we had a good match on our hands leading up to the event. mpeterson was a bit of a mystery since we hadn't stalked his every move like we did vman and O'Carrol (who he replaced), so there was some unknown there.

Easiest thing to say about Mr Peterson is that he's a gamer. Destroyed us lol. Truly just put on a very inspired show. vman did what vman does. Fairways and some amazing shots with his fairway woods.

First tee was actually not as nervy as I thought it would be. I was a little freaked out, but it wasn't as bad as I remembered. My warm up was quite good and the 10th tee box (where we started) is a pretty forgiving place to swing a driver. I hit one a little lower than I would have liked, but it was in a fine spot. Mike and I ended up winning that hole and really I felt like we were in good shape at that point.

Fast forward to 11 (second hole), which is a mid-length par 3. I hit one a little toe-y and ended up on the front of the green. mgamerpeterson decides he'll just hit one to 10 feet. Thanks bro! Hahaha.

It sort of went like that the rest of the day. Decent shot one-upped by a really good shot. Over and over and over. On 3 (our 12th hole) he one-upped a couple 20 footers with a smooth tee shot to five feet. On 17 (our 8th) he hit the ball to less than five feet again. Crazy enough - we came out 2 shots higher in total score for the day, yet got closed down on our 15th hole. Go figure.

Those dudes whooped our a$$. No other way to put it really. We didn't play terrible, but it sure felt like it at the moment.

Second round was 441 & Hawk vs. Castor Hades & mmaynard. This was two nine hole matches of alternate shot.

This one we knew would be difficult. Both those guys came into the event playing some damn good golf and are both a half football field longer than either of us. Still though, we felt like we could give them a run for it.

Halved the first hole, which we thought we had won, but that's match play. Castor made me putt a 5 footer on three and then apologized lol. I told him I'd have made me putt it too. Thank god I made it or we'd be internet enemies forever :D

This match was back and forth the whole way. Nobody ever got ahead more than one hole and as quickly as they got it, the other team took it away. I felt like Mike and I maybe played the best golf of our lives in that round. At least as far as playing when it counts goes. Lots of greens hit and putts made. Somewhere in there I told 441 that the first points were going to be decided on the 9th hole, which really got me freaked out (since that was my tee shot).

We went in to 8 a hole down and it wasn't looking good as Castor sat about 210 yards out on the par 5 for his second shot. We'd laid up to PW territory I believe. Just like it happens some times, the golf gods wanted to see it come to the wire and gave Castor a bad break that put them in the brush, while we GIR'd and had a long two putt for par. After a little searching and a good recovery shot by Maynard from that mess of a lie, we won the hole - taking it to 9 as predicted!

Here's the deal with 9. It's usually 90-110 yards and you can really miss long or short. I'd practiced that one shot probably 100 times before the event. Like literally sat on the practice range and pretended it was the 9th hole. Always using my 90-110 yard clubs. I was soooooooooo ready for that one moment and really felt like it was just a matter of getting there before I hit the perfect shot. Turns out the hole was playing something crazy like 77 yards - right in the wheelhouse that I'd straight up failed at like three times already that day. I was truly just shaking from the intensity of the situation. It was so freaking intense.

Toed the shot - five yards short in the bunker. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That killed me. I almost fell over and went fetal position for awhile. So sad. So very sad. Had a putt from 25 feet or so to halve after a good out from 441, but just missed low. So, we lost that one. Still though, we played our hearts out and had a chance and it really gave me some satisfaction to see that.

I loved that there were two points in the afternoon. It really made each shot seem so vital and focused us. The thing is though - the emotions you run through in a match like that are exhausting. Highs, lows, really really lows. Well, we had to start all over and do it again. It took a lot to say "oh well, lets try again" after that crushing 9th hole, but we did it.

The back nine was epic in its own right. Again, back and forth and back and forth. Mike and I played out of our minds again and came out with the victory on 17. We played a lot of old man golf that day and it really paid off. Makes me think I should consider doing that in my own game. No crazy attempts at 180 yard forced carries over water or anything dumb like that. We laid back quite a bit and let our wedges and putting do the work and it really resulted in some good things.

Castor and Matt were awesome opponents. They pressed the hell out of us and it was tight all day. That was the moment where I felt like all the hard work actually had made a difference. Incredibly gratifying, especially after the beatdown in the morning. Mike Dean's smile was epic. You could just sense the joy. Lots of work went into that match, some of it paid off, some of it didn't, but it was all worth it for that one. Really just a special day.

Sunday was Hawk vs WardF in singles.

I'll admit right now that pulling WardF was a bit of a bummer lol. He's a much more accomplished golfer than I am and I knew it would be very difficult to hang with him. We all knew we had nothing to lose though, so that's how I went into the round. Just play my game and leave it all there. I tried to commit to more old man golf and just make him beat me, rather than beating myself. It was a bit harder as the round went on.

Hats off to my cart mate Jordan (smithfaced). What a great guy. An all time favorite of mine. Thanks for the encouragement buddy!

I was more nervous on the first tee Sunday than I was Saturday. I was so hot. And shaking. Hit a five foot high 'stinger' down the fairway about 190 yards, but at least it was in play. Ended up almost halving the hole too, thanks to old man golf, but Ward made a good par putt. Then I won #2 and got that cool feeling where you feel like you have a chance. Fast forward to 7 and I'm down four lol. Ward is really good. Me, not so much I suppose. Still though, I got up and in from that bunker in front of 7 to get one back. Then won #8. Again - that feeling that I could do it.

Again - that went away as Ward got himself back up another hole on 9. Halved 10 and 11 I believe, but still four holes down. My big chance came on 12 when I had a five footer to win. Read too much break and missed. Won 13 and again on 14 - bad read and a miss on a five footer. Crushing. I could have been 2 down heading into the home stretch there, but instead was four down on 15, a nice 577 yard par 5. That didn't turn out all that well for me, and so it goes. WardF played very well. I felt like I gave it a good old college try, so no ragrats there.

Lots of emotion on the 15th green. You just give so much for so long and then its over. Not only that, but it didn't all turn out the way you'd dreamed it would. That's tough stuff right there, so my simple answer to whether I wanted to discuss the emotions of the moment was 'no'. They were there though.

To my opponents - you all ruled! Great sportsmanship and golf played by every one of you. To my partner on Saturday 441 - I know you said I'd get tired of you, but I didn't. Every moment was a memory in itself and I wouldn't have had it any other way brother.

My little recap of what I saw in my teammates--Winning Team Dotcom!

Captain MWard, Mike-- Heart! This guy has a bigger heart than anyone I know--such an encouraging person to the team and opponents alike. 5'7 in height (I'm 6'2"), but I look up to this guy and he has changed the way I think about golf competitions. I have some legacy to work on and improve--I know that--this guy is my role model.
Asst. Capt. J4U, Doug -- Work-horse! This was the only other team member to beat me to the range before practice rounds or Sunday singles--dude just works like crazy and even played an extra 18 post celebration! What?
Nebgolfer, Ryan -- Fighter! this guy never let up even when it seemed like he was being beat down by not seeing scores come with all his work at first. The work paid off because he never gave up and went undefeated!
v.man, Ken -- Grinder ! This guy will wear you down with a steady game of fairways all day long. He had some setbacks in his plan due to injury, but he grinded back again and again like the energizer bunny just never stopping. Always a friend and an ear for me as the fellow Old dude on the team!
Furesti, David -- Beast! Hits is long off the tee but still deadly on the approach--saved me off the tee a couple of times!
ATLGolfer, Seth -- LA PLAAAAYA! This guy has an incredible game and is a rock star at the same time.
Mpeaterson, Matt -- Solid! Matt came to the team late but fit right in--he surprised us with steady performance all weekend.
O'Carroll, (Petey) -- Rock! Pete was with us for the journey, but was sidelined due to injury. Yet he has remained as the solid foundation for the team and has been there for us even when he was sidelined.

Last edited:
Well said sir.
I wish I could shake your hand right now Josh.

And to add to Hawk's post about our PM match

To show how close it was, the only time anyone was 2 up at any point was hole #17

It was that back and forth all day. Ive told a few people already, that round was both the most fun and most competitive round of golf rolled up into 1 that Ive ever played.

#OldManGolfFTW

Love the Assumption shirt WCBM. Way to represent the 508!

It's hard to put into words how one of my favorite people tells stories, but if pictures could speak, I hope these offer some justice. He had Parshooter36 and AMart absolutely rolling. (early apologies for the arctic legs, I wasn't trying to be super obvious while capturing greatness)

je2u5aha.jpg

usu2usuv.jpg

de9a9aje.jpg

enyme8a5.jpg

ahe2y7yq.jpg

je2u5aha.jpg

usu2usuv.jpg

de9a9aje.jpg

enyme8a5.jpg

ahe2y7yq.jpg
This was without a doubt one of my favorite parts of the weekend.

Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

And to add to Hawk's post about our PM match

To show how close it was, the only time anyone was 2 up at any point was hole #17

It was that back and forth all day. Ive told a few people already, that round was both the most fun and most competitive round of golf rolled up into 1 that Ive ever played.

#OldManGolfFTW
Everything Mike & Hawk said and more. Such a fun and great match. No stop from either group.
Like I mentioned to you yesterday that chip on #16 stung. Was my bread and butter all day. Truly enjoyed playing that round and would do it again, if Castor wasn't miles away!

Last edited:
You know what I love most about this place? Not only are the events absolutely amazing and the forums are always active, but the fact that the leaders JB and Morgan are so involved and dedicated to each and every event and the community itself. Its truly what makes THP feel like real friends and family.

I am so glad the last MC was everything you envisioned it would be, you guys deserve it.

So know that Sunday results are starting to be revealed slowly, how about a list of each match with the results. We have bets to settle...lol. My Bridgestone Championship headwear and health of my stomach and tongue hinge on the results! Just kidding, I can be patient if necessary....I think.....

I will say this, no amount of preparation gets you into a mode where you step up to that first tee and feel calm. On Saturday on the range I though I was ready. I even piped my first drive long was still in what I thought was a good zone. Then when I had to decide to layup or go for it into that elevated green it hit me like a 50 ton wrecking ball. This shot could mean a loss or a win and all of the sudden I was overwhelmed. It took 4 holes before I was even able to hold a club without shaking and wondering if this shot was going to win or lose the hole for my team.
Welcome to Morgan Cup pressure! You handled it like a boss too dude! I think I heard you say something after #2 when Erik and I had just taken a 2 up lead....something like, if this keeps up we're going to get our ass kicked or something close to that. It was just to yourself, not directed at anyone. From that point forward you played amazing. Well done. You controlled the nerves and in the process calmed Ward down and played outstanding. Well done!

Welcome to Morgan Cup pressure! You handled it like a boss too dude! I think I heard you say something after #2 when Erik and I had just taken a 2 up lead....something like, if this keeps up we're going to get our ass kicked or something close to that. It was just to yourself, not directed at anyone. From that point forward you played amazing. Well done. You controlled the nerves and in the process calmed Ward down and played outstanding. Well done!

Yeah, you guys had a rough 4th hole. It was the first time I also realized how difficult it is watching your opponents hit a bad shot. I found myself the entire weekend hoping everyone hit a quality shot so I would have to dig deeper. It's what makes the event so amazing, its not about you, its about everyone.

Did the Morgan Cup create your legacy...Or has that yet to happen?
Legacy Is Coming...Get Ready For The Ride!

well technically....i think it did, but i'm certainly up for continuing it and/or creating an entire new one.

definitely looking forward to some recaps gentlemen. make them long and detailed.

This all started for me on the streets of Seattle, last October. I remember it like it was yesterday, walking Downtown to get a few things for my client and see that there will be a #TEAMTHP
Spoiler
IMG_6928_zps4825adad.jpg
To say I was excited would be an understatement. It was not immediate but once we found out all the members we came together as group pretty quick. The Team concept set in earlier this year and the brotherhood bond was sealed this past weekend. Hanging with these 7 guys for 5 days was something special. Each and everyone of them will forever have a friend in me.
The MC took 8 months develop and I remember thinking on Thursday that Saturday was still not in reach. I was glad, it seemed like time was standing still but we were all still enjoying the time we had with each other and the rest of the crews we would face in competition. It was great to see guys finally get the significance of the event and why it meant so much to so many. It was even cooler to hear grown men gush over their gear once Friday morning rolled around. As a vet of the event I was able to relate to the newness but the way it was introduced to all of us was pretty damn cool.

Spoiler
IMG_6911_zpsf2fab6e3.jpg

There was so much chrome and graphite and leather, it wasn't even funny. After some housekeeping we all started swinging clubs. Divots and dirt were flying all over the place. Some hit wedges, others hit drivers but rest assured everyone hit something. It was a sight to see as THP just melted across the foot field wide range. Blues, reds, blacks, oranges and silvers could be seen across the range on the various staff bags. Tinks, thuds, OMGS, LOL, a few choice words could be heard and smiles never quit. What a Friday morning for all that attended. Staff sponsor day was different for all that came but it was fun for everyone. I think MB must be near the equator because it was so freak'n hot but all made it through. Rain was a welcome distraction once it came time to play with our sponsors but the lightening cut it all short.

I personally was exhausted and managed a few winks when it was done and over with. My villa mates made sure it didn't last long and scared the sh!t out me and we all had a good laugh over all weekend. I guess the expression on my face scared them more then they scared me. Friday lived up to its billing and then some.

Some fun one liners from this event that will never go away.

"MWard is like Lil Hitler" and the response was "Quit being so mean to Hitler".
Jersey Nate and Smithfaced..."He is too young for you by about 50 years".
"I ran into a buzz saw" - Pete and I heard that one a lot.
"Do you need help with the standings, because I will be off the course after the 9th"...Mike Dean after Amart was on fire.
"How ya feeling Donne" to adwillingham..."Emotional".

For the record, I cried five times Sunday morning between the time I got up and the time I left the first tee...so that was definitely the right answer for that question.

I wasn't expecting this thread up so soon, but it will take me a few days to figure out how I want to say all the things I want to say. Mine will definitely be written though.

Trying to decide video or no video??!! You pick tclutch.

with that chiseled face and amazing hair, video for sure.

Cant blame ya Donne, every Sunday at a Morgan Cup is emotional. Held back plenty of tears as much as I could over the last 2 years.

Nate I think you should do the whole thing with a bunch of Vines

Back