Charlie Sifford passes away at 92

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Charlie Sifford, who broke golf's color barrier and helped desegregate the game, died Tuesday at age 92, according to multiple reports.

Sifford, who became the first black golfer inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2001, and was just the third golfer, after Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer, to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom last November, suffered a bacterial infection and a stroke last week.

He won twice on the PGA Tour, but his scores on the course pale in comparison to what he did for the game. He was the first African American to receive a tour card after the PGA of America desegregated in 1961, and was known as the "Jackie Robinson of golf."

Photos: Charlie Sifford through the years

Tiger Woods has often cited Sifford as an inspiration, referring to him in a congratulatory tweet in November as "the grandpa I never had," adding, "Your past sacrifices allow me to play golf today. I'm so happy for you Charlie."

Born in Charlotte, North Carolina, Sifford began caddieing at 13. As he developed as a player, he competed in tournaments organized by black golfers, who were excluded from the PGA of America. He also coached band leader Billy Eckstine.

Sifford first tried to qualify for a PGA event at the 1952 Phoenix Open, using an invitation he got from former heavyweight champion Joe Louis, an avid golfer. Sifford was the object of threats and racial harassment there and at other tournaments.

In 1957 he won the Long Beach Open, which was not an official PGA event, but was co-sponsored by the PGA. After gaining his tour card, he won the 1967 Greater Hartford Open Invitational and the 1969 Los Angeles Open. Neither win, however, procured him an invitation to the Masters, which did not invite an African American to play until Lee Elder in 1975.

Sifford's 1992 autobiography, "Just Let Me Play," written with James Gullo, revealed some of the prejudice and abuse Sifford was subjected to, on and off the course, including not being allowed to eat in many clubhouse dining rooms, not being allowed to stay in many hotels and not being allowed to play in many tournaments. And there were death threats, but despite everything, Sifford refused to back down.

Another black golfer, Walter Morgan, told Rhonda Glenn of the USGA that he tried to read Sifford's book, but became too emotional to finish it. “The stuff that he had to go through ... I couldn’t have gone through that, but thank God he did,” Morgan told Glenn. “His book is right, ‘Just Let Me Play.’ And he took it, that kind of stuff. I just don’t think I could have taken that. I really don’t.”

As a senior player, Sifford had two individual wins and six team wins. He captured the PGA Seniors' Championship in 1975, five years before it became a Champions Tour major. He also won the 1980 Suntree Classic. He had six wins in the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf tournament, teaming with Roberto DeVicenzo to win the Legendary Division in 1988, '89 and '91, and with Joe Jimenez to win the Demaret Division in 1998-2000.

RIP Charlie. A very classy guy.

RIP Charley. A legend for sure. Not many could have walked through life in his shoes and still be who he was.

He was certainly a legend in the game for many and his refusal to back down because of color showed his spirit.

RIP Mr. Sifford.

RIP Mr. Sifford. A legend in the game.

A true legend in the game of golf for so many reasons . RIP Mr. Sifford

RIP Mr.Sifford, glad he was able to receive the medal of freedom before leaving. He will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a small group of AA golfer in miami that still get together and have for year. I learn a lot about the game from these guys and heard stories that made me proud. Charlie would often be apart of this group and I had the pleasure of sitting next him as he told a few. I considered it an honor because he was one of the fellas in this group and called BS on any and all of them. They often returned the favor to him. Some of my fondest memories as young kid out of college revolve around listen to these gentleman and learning about the history of golf through their eyes. Charlie will be missed by a great many. RIP Mr Sifford and thank you for your wisdom.

RIP Mr. Sifford.

JM

God Bless you Charlie, the 1st tee is yours in heaven today.

Saw this on GC this morning. Lots to admire about the guy, inspirational.

RIP Charlie. May you continue to hit them long and straight on heaven's courses.

R.I.P. Charlie Sifford. God Bless.

A true legend of the game and life. Rip Dr. Sifford.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RIP to a true legend and a man of extraordinary courage. Thank you, Mr Sifford.

RIP Mr. Sifford. A true pioneer and the epitome of what this game is all about. Knowing what you endured that I can play this game will be remembered always.

RIP...sounds like an absolutely amazing man. Always find it a shame that you don't hear a lot about some truly incredible people until they are gone. I'm embarrassed that I didn't know much about Mr. Sifford until today.

It's often in history that people take a stand, make a difference, or just do what is right with out any thought of it placing them in the history books, or making them a hero. They do these things because the believe in what is right. Mr Sifford was was on of those people. He changed golf and life for generations to come. RIP Mr Sifford, your legacy lives on.

There is a small group of AA golfer in miami that still get together and have for year. I learn a lot about the game from these guys and heard stories that made me proud. Charlie would often be apart of this group and I had the pleasure of sitting next him as he told a few. I considered it an honor because he was one of the fellas in this group and called BS on any and all of them. They often returned the favor to him. Some of my fondest memories as young kid out of college revolve around listen to these gentleman and learning about the history of golf through their eyes. Charlie will be missed by a great many. RIP Mr Sifford and thank you for your wisdom.

Freddie I know you have spent some time in the DC area. My understanding is Mr. Sifford was a regular at Langston Golf Course in DC. I was out there once and pretty sure I saw some pictures of him around the clubhouse.

Did you ever here him talk about his time there.

Thinking that the Carolina guys need to play at the course named in his honor in Charlotte, NC.

Back