What is an internet golfer?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I see the term often in threads referring to distance, accuracy, or score but there seem to be mixed definitions.

What is your definition of an internet golfer?

Average drive: 290
Plays off a 2 handicap
Shot 74 his last round. Should have been a 66, but burned the edges a few times.

Shows up at an event/tournament and "just can't figure out what's wrong with his game today" and shoots 87.

I see the term often in threads referring to distance, accuracy, or score but there seem to be mixed definitions.

What is your definition of an internet golfer?

Yes......

Maybe someone who tries to sound like they know a lot about golf but only plays once a Month at most?
Maybe someone who exaggerates about how far and accurate they can hit the ball?

The last one could be me... Maybe I should stop telling people that I hit longer than Bubba. Hahaha I kid, I kid.

We hit the irons like or better than Ben Hogan himself. We drive the ball longer and more efficient than DJ. We have touch on the greens like Ben Crenshaw. We chip and pitch like the late seve. No shot is offline/short or unacceptable by amateur standards. We are never wrong always right

rock on brothers and sisters

They can diagnose and fix your swing simply by font and emoji usage.

Average drive: 290
Plays off a 2 handicap
Shot 74 his last round. Should have been a 66, but burned the edges a few times.

Shows up at an event/tournament and "just can't figure out what's wrong with his game today" and shoots 87.

Sounds pretty spot on. Comes on the internet, exaggerates distance and scores, can't back it up when there are people to see said distances and score.

I'd probably say the term refers to someone who inflates their abilities in order to sound better than they are.

I had honestly never heard of this term until, you guessed it, I joined an Internet golf forum. TBH what typically makes someone an "internet" golfer, most golfers I know do the same things without needing the Internet to boast. I have a guy I work with who all the time when talking about golf says how he can easily drive it over 300 and has hit a couple drives 350...and then I played with him. Id be shocked if he ever got one 250 let alone 300.

I'm one, according to Finley anyway.

To me, it is someone who greatly exaggerates their ability, knows more about shafts than a clubfitter, and has more knowledge of club design than 99% of the guys designing for OEMs.

Has either Proto/tour or limited throughout the bag, but has an excuse when you actually play with him as to why his 8.5* driver with XX stiff shaft is only getting it out there 230 total.

Or basically is a member of some other internet forums I have heard about.

Also, these guys have been around before the internet, when I first started playing there was a D bag at our local club that used to bet people he could outdrive them with their driver and him with his 6 Iron. One of my buddies called him on it and they went out and the guy hit it probably 170, not bad at all, but not the 200 plus he boasted about. Of course, his back hurt and he hadn't really loosened up etc.

Someone that owns this:

54f12b7177277c5530a928bdce89e7b9.jpg

And that idiot that's like a 13 handicap with a staff bag....or 3.

4013497f69e300c505f6a910af0a8a2c.jpg

It is the internet. You can be anyone or anything you want to be!

A bogey golfer who is just a shaft change away from unlocking his game and making single digits. It's really the shaft's fault.

The easiest way to identify an Internet golfer, if they claim exceptional abilities when online but always seem to be going through a swing change when seen in person. Or, the other great qualifier, if you just saw them "on an off day."

Nobody that is #OutingApproved is.

Maybe someone who tries to sound like they know a lot about golf but only plays once a Month at most?
Maybe someone who exaggerates about how far and accurate they can hit the ball?

The last one could be me... Maybe I should stop telling people that I hit longer than Bubba. Hahaha I kid, I kid.
There are plenty of guys who rarely play that are very fine golfers. All about fundamentals,'it's rare but they are out there

i have saw it all now.. Just amazing and I'm speechless

He was part of a THP Event called the Morgan Cup.
Each player received a 14 clubs deal, staff bag, scripting and more.
Tour level treatment for regular golfers...

Keyboard......check

Pajamas.......check

Moms basement.........whew!, I live above ground, so I'm good right?

JM

It's all funny stuff. It reminds me when I was a kid and me and all my friends were big skateboarders. This guy would always tell us all the awesome moves he did, by himself. Then when we would all skate together, he would suck and tell us he was sick, or his back hurt from doing one of the awesome moves when no one was looking. We were like 11 BTW.

It's all funny stuff. It reminds me when I was a kid and me and all my friends were big skateboarders. This guy would always tell us all the awesome moves he did, by himself. Then when we would all skate together, he would suck and tell us he was sick, or his back hurt from doing one of the awesome moves when no one was looking. We were like 11 BTW.
I sometimes feel like I'm 11 on this forum

You mean it's not a good thing to be an Internet Golfer?

Back