The Arthur Ashe courage award

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
The ESPYs air tomorrow night. For those that don't know, the ESPYs are the equivalent of the Grammys for sports stars. Tiger has won for Golf, MJ for basketball and other great athletes for other sports.

Last year Stuart Scott, RIP, won the Arthur Ashe award for his display of courage while battling cancer. Jimmy V made one of the best speeches when he won. Caitlyn Jenner aka Bruce Jenner will win the award tomorrow for his display of Courage for finally realizing his true self.

There is a great deal of controversy over this decision to give him the award. Some say his recent change into a woman is not worthy of the award. I want to know what you think. is it courageous to do what Bruce did or is it just a choice? How has his decision transcended sports?

I personally feel if he had made the choice 30 years ago, it would have been courageous. Doing so after a long run on reality TV kind of dulled it for me. I have no problem with his choice, I just think there are others more deserving of the award. Again, I am not bashing his personal decision. I am not even bashing the giving of the award. I am truly interested in what people think.

What a joke.

Not afraid to say it. He has contributed absolutely nothing to society and I'm sure there are people far more deserving but they aren't "reality" TV stars. I'm sure it took a lot of courage to do what he did but celebrating this guy as some hero in the same sentence as people like Arthur Ashe is a total sham.

Flame me.

Courageous? Probably.
Im just of the opinion that the Arthur Ashe award should have something to do with sports and Jenner has not in decades.
There are a lot of current and recent former athletes that have battled tremendous things.

Nothing personal against Bruce/Caitlyn.. But Galloway or Hill seemed like significantly more deserving of this award.

5de80b71d5f1447fbfba217cd54bf287.jpg

Lauren Hill

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...er-lauren-hill-19-dies-pediatric-brain-cancer

Bruce Jenner isn't courageous, he's cashing in after being a background prop for his worthless step-daughters.

What JB said. Is doing what Bruce/Caitlyn doing take courage? Sure. Doing it in the public spotlight like that? Sure, but like you said, it's kind of dulled with all of the reality tv stuff. It has nothing to to do with sports on the world stage of today and has no business being part of this award ceremony.

Do people take the ESPY's seriously? I've never watched it and I don't think Jenner should have received that award.

Nothing that Bruce is doing says courage or is in the spirit of how this award has been given away previously.

For me it's a slap in the face for what/who the award is meant to represent and it's snubbing more worthy recipients IMO.

I hate the he is being given this award, I watched the Jimmy V speech and Stuarts speech recently and am befuddled at the decision. If Bruce wants to be a woman, he should certainly be allowed to live his dream without a doubt, but just last week the for the first time a vet with a missing leg competed in a PGA tour sanctioned event and played well, didn't make the cut but to me that's courage, you give a leg fighting for the freedoms that protect people like Bruce and don't sit back and sulk, this cat got up and built himself a golf swing that could compete in the big leagues.

I know what Bruce did is courageous but what that soldier and many other atheletes do is downright motivating and and a kick in the ass to anyone that says obstacles can't be overcome, a dude getting fake T!#$ and slapping on a dress to me is not on that level.

I respect Bruce but he's not a hero to me.

I hate the he is being given this award, I watched the Jimmy V speech and Stuarts speech recently and am befuddled at the decision. If Bruce wants to be a woman, he should certainly be allowed to live his dream without a doubt, but just last week the for the first time a vet with a missing leg competed in a PGA tour sanctioned event and played well, didn't make the cut but to me that's courage, you give a leg fighting for the freedoms that protect people like Bruce and don't sit back and sulk, this cat got up and built himself a golf swing that could compete in the big leagues.

I know what Bruce did is courageous but what that soldier and many other atheletes do is downright motivating and and a kick in the ass to anyone that says obstacles can't be overcome, a dude getting fake T!#$ and slapping on a dress to me is not on that level.

I respect Bruce but he's not a hero to me.

That wouldn't get as many viewers though.

The entire thing is a joke. They are hoping to leech of his "fame" to get more views.

Its owned by Disney. This should not surprise anybody.
Right or wrong, it should not be a surprise considering the rat* as ownership.

*The description used by many of my friends that worked for ESPN in describing Disney as their employer

Between Stuart Scott and Jimmy V, this is the only award of the night that seems to have any weight.

I don't think giving this award to Caitlin disminishes the previous recipients.

What I do think, it's a cheap publicity ploy for a show that doesn't really matter.

It's ridiculous IMO. Stuart Scott last year, oh man what a moment. That made myself, and many others, tear up and get emotional for all he'd went through. This year? Bruce/Caitlin? Give me a break.

Im just of the opinion that the Arthur Ashe award should have something to do with sports and Jenner has not in decades.
There are a lot of current and recent former athletes that have battled tremendous things.

These posts about some it up for me. I do think there's courage in undergoing sex change procedures - it is not a simple and easy thing - but it is completely unrelated to sport, which means there are others that are far more worthy. This year the award is little more than a crass publicity stunt and ratings grab by ESPN. Boo.

I think its a damn joke.

I think it's a slap in the face to previous winners. Or how about the person that wins it next year. Award is tarnished and now is no better than a Golf Digest gold medal

Not courageous at all. There are humans who have contributed to the betterment of others by displaying real courage in sports (Hill for instance). That is a real example of courage to me. I too have no problem with his decision, but perhaps an Oscar would have been more appropriate for such a Media Wh0re.

JM

These posts about some it up for me. I do think there's courage in undergoing sex change procedures - it is not a simple and easy thing - but it is completely unrelated to sport, which means there are others that are far more worthy. This year the award is little more than a crass publicity stunt and ratings grab by ESPN. Boo.
I know Caitlin didn't compete in any sport, since the 70s.

But Bruce Jenner was the epitome of a man in 1976. He set a decathlon record. He was "The Best Athlete in the World." He was everything that was manly. Yes, he became a joke in the 2000s, but he wasn't a joke to many who watched him in Montreal.

I don't think he was the most courageous athlete of 2015, but I can see why this is a big deal to some.

Not courageous IMO. Society today for the most part is more accepting of alternative lifestyles and he is only relevant because his step daughter had a sex tale that led to a reality show, his sports days have been over for awhile.

the ESPYs IMO are about current sports figures and this award should go to someone more deserving who actually battled and persevered through a difficult time.

Courageous? Probably.
This exactly. I mean I never thought I'd agree with Bob Costas, but giving him that was a total tabloid publicity stunt.

Lauren Hill or Noah Galloway should be getting this award

The ESPYs are a joke. Lebron gets Championship Performance of the year, when he didn't win a championship. Then, A-Rod nominated for comeback of the year. The other 3 had career threatening injuries, A-rod got busted juicing. What a joke.

Good for her....

You couldn't pay me to watch this crap. I stopped watching ESPN years ago and this just validates my decision.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

Back