British Open Championship [Spoilers]

All right. Congrats Louis. Great Open showing.
JB come on, lets go, where's the PGA Championship (spoilers) Thread?
hahaha just kidding

He was amazing all week. His 65 on Thursday was the round of the week, it wasn't easy when he was out and following it up with a 67 in the second round before the conditions worsened made it his to lose.

I think apart from being able to maintain his so simple swing for the last 36 holes it was his ability to hold his nerve on the greens and he continually showed a brilliant touch when others around him failed to. I'm sure we all know what it's like to get the eebie-jeebies on the greens when the heat is on and the way he dealt with that on those ancient, enormous horrors was the mark of the worthiest of champions.

Obviously it's not the white knuckle ride that we all prefer but sometimes one man just operates on a different level and all we can do is sit back and admire his skill and courage. I can settle for that every few years.

Next year it's off to a different animal altogether, Royal St George's, so don't give up on it guys, The Open won't want for drama too often and I'll bet next year we''l all be gripped on the back 9 on the Sunday. Why not hop across and see it for yourselves? You'll be more than welcome.

Well done Louis and the Old Lady, the 2 winners this week.

congrats louie! great win you earned it!

I believe Tom Watson is looking for his lucky charms today. How can one of the best dressed men on tour put that shirt and tie on with the jacket in the booth. I guess Polo is not scripting him in the booth...hehe

It was a HORRENDOUS outfit.

Congrats Louis!! Huge Win!!

obviously its 'woulda coulda shoulda' but how great would the tournament have been if Rory didn't put up an 80 on Day 2? He might've been the only one to put any real pressure on Louis O

obviously its 'woulda coulda shoulda' but how great would the tournament have been if Rory didn't put up an 80 on Day 2? He might've been the only one to put any real pressure on Louis O

true that thanks. poor ol' rory found himself on the course when it played its toughest. i think that louis played spectacularly but he never faced those kind of conditions.

Will we ever hear anything from this guy again? Have to say this was the worst major I can remember seeing in a while. Had zero interest in it Sunday.

Will we ever hear anything from this guy again? Have to say this was the worst major I can remember seeing in a while. Had zero interest in it Sunday.

i can't figure out why no one picked him, he only made the cut in 1 of 8 majors previously, huh?

same here. I had a little interest to see if Casey had the stones to make a move but after the first 2 holes you just knew there wasn't going to be any drama or intrigue.

i can't figure out why no one picked him, he only made the cut in 1 of 8 majors previously, huh?

I heard that too. I just hate to think that he won the thing pretty much on two days worth of luck. Sure he lasted till the end but really?

I'd be very surprised if we don't hear from him, and a few of the other young South Africans, in future. This guy has a great all round game.

I think it's unfair to say it was the worst major. The excitement probably wasn't there due to Louis blowing the field away, but I had some fun watching them in varied conditions in the first 3 days.

I heard that too. I just hate to think that he won the thing pretty much on two days worth of luck. Sure he lasted till the end but really?

just luck of the draw i suppose!!!

I'd be very surprised if we don't hear from him, and a few of the other young South Africans, in future. This guy has a great all round game.

I think it's unfair to say it was the worst major. The excitement probably wasn't there due to Louis blowing the field away, but I had some fun watching them in varied conditions in the first 3 days.

What are the temps out there about now? They always looked cold out there.

I guess we'll see if he does anything after this one. Id love to see it dont get me wrong but I wonder.

To me it had little to do with the winner or running away from the pack. It had everything to do with the course. I have said it before in this thread, that I get the history and the historic beauty behind St. Andrews. But this to me was visually terrible to watch regardless of the size of the TV and HD quality. The cameramen were terrible. The course was not interesting and it felt more like robot golf than anything else.

The greens were painfully slow it appeared (and most players said that) and there was virtually no trouble. It had nothing to do with the names at the top it was just more about it being robotic golf to me.

It was a good win for Louis, but even during the interviews it didn't seem like he was all in the moment. IDK, maybe it's just his personality. I know that the RSA's are more hopeful with Schwartzel than they are with Louis as far as the future of RSA golf. Overall, it was an ok Open. I guess us Americans want to either see a great story (Watson v. Cink last year) or a train wreck (DJ's last 18 at the US Open) rather than a complete blowout. The tourney was definitely missing the 'it' factor.

Other than Shrek, I also think the guy looks like a younger GW Bailey (Capt. Harris from the Police Academy movies).

To me it had little to do with the winner or running away from the pack. It had everything to do with the course. I have said it before in this thread, that I get the history and the historic beauty behind St. Andrews. But this to me was visually terrible to watch regardless of the size of the TV and HD quality. The cameramen were terrible. The course was not interesting and it felt more like robot golf than anything else.

The greens were painfully slow it appeared (and most players said that) and there was virtually no trouble. It had nothing to do with the names at the top it was just more about it being robotic golf to me.

And this makes me think of... JD! How else could a guy with this (lack)game get anywhere near the leader board.

What are the temps out there about now? They always looked cold out there.

I guess we'll see if he does anything after this one. Id love to see it dont get me wrong but I wonder.

It's about low 60s at the moment, but it's a lot colder in the wind blowing off the north sea!

I guess you've really got to walk round the course and see it for real to appreciate the test when the wind's blowing. I feel like it had so much more to give, but the guys got so lucky with the conditions.
The TV coverage we got didn't show much of the thought that has to go into most of the shots. they showed the couple of par 4s you can drive, approaches to the bigger greens and some putting. There's not enough trouble for the pros without the wind though. The research they put in before a round tells them where they can hit it wild and not get in trouble. The only holes that prevented this were 12 and 17.

And what was with the cameramen never being able to find the ball lol ? Did these guys just stay out too late and got thanks'ed? Maybe that was the wind too lol

And what was with the cameramen never being able to find the ball lol ? Did these guys just stay out too late and got thanks'ed? Maybe that was the wind too lol

I did notice that. I reckon that goes to prove how far off line these guys were aiming to approach the greens. Honestly, with no wind, the line for every tee shot on the front 9 is at least 20 yards left of straight down the fairway, and hit hard!

I liked the look of course. I thought in HD it looked rather good. The camera work was terrible. I thought the coverage of it was horrible, although the shot tracer on the tee shot at 17 was cool.

As for Rory...I felt kind of bad for him, but thats just the way some of these tournaments seem to go. He played amazing day 1, and in the wind he was clearly affected by it on day 2. Needless to say, he still shot an 80(which I couldn't do there in the best conditions). I think the scoring average in that weather was 77-78(correct me if I'm wrong). In his post round interview Tiger said he thought par in those conditions would be around 75. I do feel bad for him, but to win majors(especially the British) you need to hang tough when the weather is horrible. Tiger's 83 at Murfield(?) cost him a tournament when the weather was at its worse.

Back