Throwback Thursday 10/21/10 - Mizuno Blue Rage

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each Thursday we do a little blast from the past and have some fun with it. In our this installment, we thought we would showcase the latest and the greatest from Mizuno Golf from 8 years ago.

Tiger Woods Won the Masters
Tiger Woods Won the US Open
Ernie Els Won the Open Championship
Rich Beem Won the PGA Championship
The Lakers Won the NBA Finals
The Patriots Shocked the Rams and Won the SuperBowl
The Angels Won the World Series
Chicago Won the Oscar for Best Picture
West Wing Won the Emmy for Best Drama
Alicia Keys Won the Grammy for Best Song

The Blue Rage was thought to be the club series that put Mizuno Drivers & Utility Woods on the map.

What are your thoughts of this amazing "new" technology?
Did you play them?

The Press Release
Mizuno, home of the #1 Iron on the PGA Tour for eight straight years and the world leader in forging technology, continues its tradition of innovative high performance golf club design with the new Blue Rage forged drivers and utility woods. With Mizuno's updated CORTECH distinctive multi-face thickness design and Grain Flow Forging technology, Mizuno has developed a driver and utility woods that deliver extraordinarily high initial ball velocity and extreme distance from the thinnest, most reactive club face ever designed by Mizuno engineers.

Building upon the success of the T-Zoid Forged driver and utility woods, the Mizuno R&D team sought to develop a club with the same explosive power and solid feel spread over a larger area of the club face. Mizuno defines this region as the COR AREA - the area of the club face which features a high coefficient of restitution. Tests have shown that the COR AREA of the Blue Rage driver is 500% larger than previous models.

"In the past, golfers only benefited from a high C.O.R. when the ball was struck in the center of the club face, but with the Blue Rage that is no longer the case," said Dick Lyons, Vice President and General Manager, Golf Division, for Mizuno USA, Inc. "The unique, expanded COR AREA in the Blue Rage guarantees golfers the added distance generated by a spring-like effect from almost any point on the club face."

The Blue Rage forged driver will be available in 310cc and 350cc volume club heads designed to fit the preferences and needs of golfers of all skill levels. CORTECH multi-face thickness design generates high initial ball velocity for greater distance, and the COR AREA face design increases the area of the face that delivers a C.O.R. greater than .80, achieving a spring-like effect over a larger area of the club face.

The Blue Rage driver design features four-piece forged titanium construction. A variation of Mizuno's T-Zoid' Power Bar increases crown strength and aids alignment while a Tour proven "U" groove face pattern offers optimal ball control in any type of weather. Suggested retail price for the Mizuno Blue Rage driver is $459.00.

"Golfers of all abilities will enjoy the power, feel, and forgiveness of the Blue Rage," said Lyons. "The Blue Rage combines cutting-edge technology, from the expanded COR AREA to our own Grain Flow Forging Process, to produce a driver of unparalleled performance."

The Mizuno T-Zoid' Blue Rage forged utility woods also offer a variety of benefits for golfers of every skill level. Available in lofts of 13, 15, 18, and 21 degrees, each wood features. Computer aided design enabled Mizuno engineers to achieve optimum forgiveness from a perfectly positioned center of gravity. Like the Blue Rage driver, each wood contains Mizuno's innovative CORTECH multi-face thickness design for increased distance. A new lie responsive sole design with an external rail system and bounce channels enhances performance reducing turf drag from a variety of lies.

Blue Rage utility woods have a slender pear-shaped head preferred by serious golfers and are made with Mizuno's exclusive Grain Flow Forged 304N2 stainless steel in the face and neck with a precision hi-tech crown and sole to create an ideal center of gravity for forgiveness on every shot. A Tour proven "U" groove face pattern allows for optimal ball control in all types of weather. Sporting the rich Mizuno blue color, suggested retail prices for Mizuno Blue Rage utility woods are $279.00 (graphite), $199.00 (steel).

All new Blue Rage drivers and utility woods come standard with Mizuno's exclusive Exsar Platinum shaft. This graphite shaft was developed and manufactured by Mizuno engineers to maximize performance and ensure tight quality control for the Blue Rage family of woods.

Mizuno has already begun to sell the Blue Rage driver in the U.S. on a limited basis and will be available nationwide in March 2002. The Blue Rage drivers and utility woods will be on display at the 2002 PGA Merchandise Show.

blue_rage_350_large.jpg

2454.jpg

I like the throwback Thursdays. Pretty cool to see what was "hot" in the past.

I don't even remember these, but that was during a period that I was not really playing. Cool name though, I'm loving reading about the older equipment.

this is the year I started playing golf, haha. So the only golf equipment I knew was in my bag. I am enjoying catching up on what was out there during my learning days.

Pretty cool. It is amazing how much smaller the head is compared to the 460cc drivers of today.

I assume you never played these JB?

Spoiler
I quote, "Blue Rage utility woods have a slender pear-shaped head preferred by serious golfers."

I didn't know this one existed either. I'm also enjoying the Throwback threads.

• Admin
I assume you never played these JB?

Spoiler
I quote, "Blue Rage utility woods have a slender pear-shaped head preferred by serious golfers."

No, I am no where near serious enough to play these.

Too funny...I played the Blue Rage 3 and 5 wood back in the day. I had STEEL shafts in both of them, which today seems like crazy talk. I might even still have these in my garage. If I can find them, maybe I'll take them to the range for a comparison with my Burner Superfasts.

Too funny...I played the Blue Rage 3 and 5 wood back in the day. I had STEEL shafts in both of them, which today seems like crazy talk. I might even still have these in my garage. If I can find them, maybe I'll take them to the range for a comparison with my Burner Superfasts.

That would be great AH. Love hearing stuff like this.

i remember the FW's but for some reason I don't remember the driver. I think this thread is a great addition.

We are so glad that everybody is enjoying the Throwback Thursday segments.

haha - That is pretty crazy, I remember these quite well. Never had them in my bag, but a golf buddy had them up until last year in his. Just the other week he was cursing himself for trading them in on his new (at the time) G10 3W and 5W. He still plays the T-Zoid irons, and to this day believes that "there is not another iron that I can hit as far as these T-Zoids" When I try to tell him irons are about accuracy, and not distance, he just ignores me. And yes, he hits it further than I do, by at least 1-2 clubs. His PW is 155 and his 9i is 170 (nuts I know)

Wow.. how far we've come in 8 years. Those look ancient.

Back