9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I know there are some who are really excited for this movie (I know I am) and some who are not, but I figured this was some pretty big news.

The Hobbit movies have had lots of problems over the last few months from director to funding and everything else in between. I heard this morning that Warner Brothers is stepping in for MGM to the tune of 500 million dollars. By comparison, Avatar cost 250 million. So I think it's fair to say the expectations for these movies will be quite high with such a huge budget. I think they'll turn out just fine! At least they'd better! :D

Cool! When do they think they will release it?

Why would they need $500 million to make The Hobbit. You'd think they could get Elton John to play Bilbo for about $50 and a couple of big pairs of sun glasses. Save a ton on makeup, too.

Why will there be more than one movie? Isn't there just one book?

Kevin

Nice, the Hobbit was by far my favourite novel of the bunch. I am looking forward to the movie.

Why would they need $500 million to make The Hobbit. You'd think they could get Elton John to play Bilbo for about $50 and a couple of big pairs of sun glasses. Save a ton on makeup, too.

Why will there be more than one movie? Isn't there just one book?

Kevin

IMDB has the movie title as "The Hobbit: Part 1" so looks like they are breaking it up. They will shoot both at one time and make double box office on one production...

IMDB has the movie title "The Hobbit: Part 1" so looks like they are breaking it up. They will shoot both at one time and make double box office on one production...

That's the way it looks. I'm not overly familiar with the book, I bought it over Christmas and will start reading it shortly. Not too sure otherwise why they would break it up, but it will be shot at once, and then broken into two movies to be release separately.

is this a movie about Bama, Duey, and Spank? like the hobbit version of the three amigos?

is this a movie about Bama, Duey, and Spank? like the hobbit version of the three amigos?

You know what, you're right!! :D How did you know?

I love the books and the previous movies by Peter Jackson, but I hate the idea of them splitting the movie into two parts. The more this happens, the more it seems like the studios are just trying to increase their box office pull. I guess they have to pay these actors their exorbitant salaries somehow.

Anyway, seeing as the subtitle of the story is "There and Back Again" - I guess I can see how it would fit into two parts..

awesome, I can't wait for it to come out

Hmm. Neat. This should definitely make things interesting.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

I love these books and the Hobbit was my favorite of the four, but the first three movies really let me down. Ya ya I know I'm being the "books way better than the movie guy" I just personally didn't like their interpretation of the Lord of the Rings. They are good movies don't get me wrong they just could have been way better.

I love these books and the Hobbit was my favorite of the four, but the first three movies really let me down. Ya ya I know I'm being the "books way better than the movie guy" I just personally didn't like their interpretation of the Lord of the Rings. They are good movies don't get me wrong they just could have been way better.

I couldn't read the books becauseI saw the movie first. I tried, but couldn't get into them. I kept seeing the movies in my head as I was reading. That's why I plan to read The Hobbit before I see the movie.

Read all of them when I was a teenager but loved The Hobbit the most in the series.

Anybody else think that the actor they chose for the main role of Bilbo, Tim (Martin Something) from the British version of "The Office" created by & starring Ricky Gervais, was a strange choice??

I know there are some who are really excited for this movie (I know I am) and some who are not, but I figured this was some pretty big news.

The Hobbit movies have had lots of problems over the last few months from director to funding and everything else in between. I heard this morning that Warner Brothers is stepping in for MGM to the tune of 500 million dollars. By comparison, Avatar cost 250 million. So I think it's fair to say the expectations for these movies will be quite high with such a huge budget. I think they'll turn out just fine! At least they'd better! :D

For a $500m investment you can bet Warner Brothers has checked everything they have to date and are making a pretty solid bet on the outcome.

We'll see who's spoutin short jokes when those royalty checks start rolling in :cool:

I'm really excited about this too. The husband (a big Tolkien fan) said they are reprising several roles from L of the Rings for characters that weren't in the books. I think Legolas and Kate Blanchett's roles will be carried through. That could be bad - but I like both these characters so maybe good for me :). I also haven't read The Hobbit, but plan to b/f I see the movie.

Read all of them when I was a teenager but loved The Hobbit the most in the series.

Anybody else think that the actor they chose for the main role of Bilbo, Tim (Martin Something) from the British version of "The Office" created by & starring Ricky Gervais, was a strange choice??

I don't know much about him, but he looks like he could do the part. Only time will tell though!

For a $500m investment you can bet Warner Brothers has checked everything they have to date and are making a pretty solid bet on the outcome.

We'll see who's spoutin short jokes when those royalty checks start rolling in :cool:

You'll have it made!!

I'm really excited about this too. The husband (a big Tolkien fan) said they are reprising several roles from L of the Rings for characters that weren't in the books. I think Legolas and Kate Blanchett's roles will be carried through. That could be bad - but I like both these characters so maybe good for me :). I also haven't read The Hobbit, but plan to b/f I see the movie.

I like the characters too, but I don't think they should be included. I hope they'll just be small roles. This story is about Bilbo. LOTR is about Frodo. They should let it be accordingly.

I like the characters too, but I don't think they should be included. I hope they'll just be small roles. This story is about Bilbo. LOTR is about Frodo. They should let it be accordingly.

Exactly, I hope they don't deviate too much from the book. It was a great read.

wow! thats a lot of money. I grew up reading all these books - and re read them a few years ago before the movies came back. Great movie series - one of the best ive ever seen!

FWIW - the hobbit was my fav book in the series too!

That's the way it looks. I'm not overly familiar with the book, I bought it over Christmas and will start reading it shortly. Not too sure otherwise why they would break it up, but it will be shot at once, and then broken into two movies to be release separately.

I think they will break it up due to the length and detail of the book, similar to the way they broke the final Harry Potter movie up into 2 so they wouldn't have to cut out alot of detail

Two parts makes a lot of sense. The story up to the arrival at the Long Lake town is easily a movie, and part two will be Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies. I LOVE these books, and I think Jackson did a first class job with the LOTR's.

Hey anyone every hear the BBC Radio play of the Lord of the Rings done in the mid-80's? It was in 13 hour long parts and the voices for it were spectacular. Gollum is particularly good.

I absolutely cannot wait for this! I wonder if they will try to make The Silmarillion into a series of movies as well? That would be fantastic! I think that the studios see anything relating to Middle Earth as a cash cow. This movie will far more than double the $500 Million and really pull it in when they release the DVD's, BluRay's and special editions. This is a great investment IMO and I wish I had the money to make it.

Back