And out come the brooms

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
How many in here use a belly/long putter? I changed to a belly putter last summer and I think it's the bomb.

I don't use them and have some strong feelings against them, but my father in law just got one and he loves it.

I updated my post with the thread link.

OK, that thread I found but a discussion about whether they're cheating or not wasn't really my intention, nor hi-jacking a thread to discuss long putters.

OK, that thread I found but a discussion about whether they're cheating or not wasn't really my intention, nor hi-jacking a thread to discuss long putters.

I have a 43 in belly putter I built early last season and I used it a little bit but the jury is out for me. Distance control was a issue for me mainly because of the head being much heavier than I'm use to. I like it though and the results were good most of the time when I used it.
Belly putters users are not cheating because they are legal. If they choose to make them illegal at some point, I would not loose any sleep over it. Until then, if it helps you putt better, use it.

I have tried them in the big box stores just to see how they feel, and personally I don't care for them. Lots of people on different tours use them and they seem to do very, very well with them.

Never have, and I doubt I ever will. Nothing against them at all, but I just don't see myself using one. What is it that you like about them, Pete?

Never have, and I doubt I ever will. Nothing against them at all, but I just don't see myself using one. What is it that you like about them, Pete?

Stability and repeatability. Since it's anchored in your stomach, it's really hard to 'twitch' or whatever else happens when you're feeling the pressure. And to be honest, once you get over the "this is so friggin weird"-phase, there's not a whole lot you can do "wrong". It's pretty darn easy to repeat the same stroke with it. Putting really has been my achilles pre-belly putter but now I'm working it into being one of my strengths. I think I cut my 3-putts with like 50% when I switched. There're some nuances to it that you have to figure out, like that you kinda have to 'flex' your abs a bit right before the stroke so you don't end up moving your stomach and thus affecting the stroke.

The only thing I had at the beginning was a bit of a problem with lag putts, but after a few days on the practice green I was better at it than with the short putter. Now, I think it's far superior from a technical standpoint than the short putter.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

as a heftier fella, i've always been scared to tuck anything into my stomach. one, it's uncomfortable and two, who knows what kind of damage that may do to the grip.

i have no problem with the long putters, they just aren't for me. my old man use to use a belly putter and to this day he'll tell you that it's what helped him groove his putting stroke, so i do see some value in them.

If I had a problem with long putters (and i go back on forth with it in my own head) it isn't the length I have an issue with it is the bracing of the club against the body to help create a pendulum. IMO the only part of the body that should touch the club are the hands.

If I had a problem with long putters (and i go back on forth with it in my own head) it isn't the length I have an issue with it is the bracing of the club against the body to help create a pendulum. IMO the only part of the body that should touch the club are the hands.

Simply just an opinion. Why do you have a problem with the club being braced against the body? I have yet to see anyone using one dominate. Not wanting to argue, just trying to understand why some have a issue with this.

I forget who made the comment, it was one of the talking heads on the Golf Channel, but when the USGA rolled back the grooves because they were against "the spirit of the game" also said that belly and long putters are also against "the spirit of the game."

Simply just an opinion. Why do you have a problem with the club being braced against the body? I have yet to see anyone using one dominate. Not wanting to argue, just trying to understand why some have a issue with this.

I don't want to speak for JNRadio but for me the problem is that in the swing and in putting its your job to try and keep your arms and body connected through the stroke. Putting is difficult oviously because you have to pick your line, speed and then make a good connected stroke, the belly putter takes care of the connection for you which I agree is against the spirit of the game.

I cant say I'd be too unhappy if they ruled against long and belly putters. I dislike them a lot. Just my thing I hate them. I was in golf galaxy looking at putters and I was looking at the heads not paying attention to the shafts. I grabbed one and then realized it was a long putter. I felt dirty and cheap. Lol

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

I cant say I'd be too unhappy if they ruled against long and belly putters. I dislike them a lot. Just my thing I hate them. I was in golf galaxy looking at putters and I was looking at the heads not paying attention to the shafts. I grabbed one and then realized it was a long putter. I felt dirty and cheap. Lol

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

LOL that almost made me spit coffee all over my laptop.

I forget who made the comment, it was one of the talking heads on the Golf Channel, but when the USGA rolled back the grooves because they were against "the spirit of the game" also said that belly and long putters are also against "the spirit of the game."

In what way? I did not and still do not agree that groove change was needed. Where does it end? They are basing way too much on what the hundred best players in the world can do with a golf club. Those people are rare, world class players. Us everyday players will see our games suffer and golf will become less fun for many if we keep stifling technology.

Will it be ok if they tell Ping they can't sell the K15 driver because it is too straight? Technology has helped the less than world class player, of which there are millions of. Why stifle that because of the ability of a handful of pro players?

The defenses that were built into my home course 50 years ago when it was built, still defends the course today, because world class players do not play there. Our course record was set in 1965 and still stands today. No doubt the scoring average at my course may be lower today, but it is negligible even with todays balls and clubs.

I believe that was Brandel Chamblee

Standard length putters end up being belly putters for me, so ban away. I might end up at an advantage, haha

Because bracing the club against the body helps stabilize the club, no other shot in golf has a 3 point connection to the body so why should putting...

In what way? I did not and still do not agree that groove change was needed. Where does it end? They are basing way too much on what the hundred best players in the world can do with a golf club. Those people are rare, world class players. Us everyday players will see our games suffer and golf will become less fun for many if we keep stifling technology.

Will it be ok if they tell Ping they can't sell the K15 driver because it is too straight? Technology has helped the less than world class player, of which there are millions of. Why stifle that because of the ability of a handful of pro players?

The defenses that were built into my home course 50 years ago when it was built, still defends the course today, because world class players do not play there. Our course record was set in 1965 and still stands today. No doubt the scoring average at my course may be lower today, but it is negligible even with todays balls and clubs.

Not saying I agree. Just saying that it has been brought up.

Back